Sponsored

2015 Mustang Maintenance ??

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thanks for sharing. A pain to take off at each oil change for sure but entirely manageable it looks like.
On the current car, the end near the front of the car stays attached and the rear swings down. It's hard to see in this photo if the 2015 works the same way. I've been trying to get a visual of that when I've seen it in person, but haven't been able to get underneath. This is the big reason I don't change the oil in my 2010 - I need a lift! :)
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I try to do my own oil changes. I have had several nasty occurrences when I had 'professionals' do it: filter cross threaded so tight I had to run a long screw driver through the filter as a handle (filter wrench ended up 'rounding' the can). Conversely, a filter so loosely hand-tightened that oil sprayed out on the way out of their parking lot. I have watched shops drop the oil in just a few minutes (too Jiffy for me), there was no way that all of the old oil had had time to drain out. So they ended up pouring clean oil on more than a quart of dirty oil. The faster they get you out of there the more oil changes they can do and they charged me for five quarts while only adding four.
I have timed how long it takes warm oil to drain out so I can estimate how much oil they actually dropped.

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Hopefully someone that takes one of the first deliveries and does their own oil change will post up some good pics and pointers to make it easier on the rest of us.
Especially just using ramps. I've got the barn and supreme garage for a lift but no lift $. Lifted the Expedition instead:headbang:
Yes... The door is purple. Or "eggplant" as my wife requested.
image.jpg

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
On the current car, the end near the front of the car stays attached and the rear swings down. It's hard to see in this photo if the 2015 works the same way. I've been trying to get a visual of that when I've seen it in person, but haven't been able to get underneath. This is the big reason I don't change the oil in my 2010 - I need a lift! :)
Thanks. I can see that could screw things up if it hinges at the front. Might be easier to take the whole thing off when up on ramps.

I try to do my own oil changes. I have had several nasty occurrences when I had 'professionals' do it: filter cross threaded so tight I had to run a long screw driver through the filter as a handle (filter wrench ended up 'rounding' the can). Conversely, a filter so loosely hand-tightened that oil sprayed out on the way out of their parking lot. I have watched shops drop the oil in just a few minutes (too Jiffy for me), there was no way that all of the old oil had had time to drain out. So they ended up pouring clean oil on more than a quart of dirty oil. The faster they get you out of there the more oil changes they can do and they charged me for five quarts while only adding four.
I have timed how long it takes warm oil to drain out so I can estimate how much oil they actually dropped.
You have described my worst nightmare and the reason I will NEVER take any vehicle to a Quickie Lube style business. My dad still does all his as well at age 73 so I plan on doing it until I die. ;)

Hopefully someone that takes one of the first deliveries and does their own oil change will post up some good pics and pointers to make it easier on the rest of us.
Especially just using ramps. I've got the barn and supreme garage for a lift but no lift $. Lifted the Expedition instead:headbang:
Yes... The door is purple. Or "eggplant" as my wife requested.
I will but I have a feeling my first change is going to be in the middle of winter. Which brings up a point I'm going to ask in another thread about oil type for the 5.0 and how long between oil changes.

1stWorldMustang

1st 2015 mustang Tennesse
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Jenkins
Vehicle(s)
2015. V6. 3.55 LTD 051A. received Oct. 8, 2014
After the 1st 1000 mile break in. I'll remove the semi synthetic ford oil & filter. Then I'm planning on adding 100% synthetic oil & new filter.

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I was given totally incorrect information a couple of months ago by my Ford dealer. The Mustang drain plug and oil filter are just aft of the front plate. The plug is at the back lower end of the pan for easy drainage. And the filter hangs down vertically.

The best view is the Mustang displayed on its side (in another thread).

I was worried that my new Mustang would be similar to my Jeep Liberty.
I have to remove the front skid plate on the Jeep. Then the oil drains onto two of the front suspension arms, dripping all over the place. The oil filter is located far up onto the engine, horizontally. It takes about 15-20 minutes just to loosen and replace the filter (Anyone with big biceps would have to have it done in a shop on a lift).

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP