Sponsored

2015 Mustang EB I4 Reliability

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I am at 26533 miles on my 2016 EBM Premium fully modded as my signature shows, I drive it spiritedly, I run methanol as well. Other than one rattle I cannot seem to find, which I didnt have in my 15GT the car has been rock solid...
You have one of the builds that keep Spanish engine owners morale up.
What oil do you use?

@OP I'm at almost 28k. Had the AC repaired(Miami), one rear wheel bearing(my cars lowered), and the revision tune for a code can't remember under warranty. K&N drop in filter, shock & springs for mods. Was thinking FP tune but with the mileage might just go Cobb with Tune+.
Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yep, the guy in the thread below tried both of them just to test it but not for too long, but in the end Boostmax appears to be reason the engine failed.
Wow.

Saying that all Spanish engines are more prone to failure than all Cleveland engines is not an accurate statement. The engine failures were early 2014 builds (July-Sept?) and mostly all tuned so perhaps the tuners adjusted the tunes over time as well as manufacturing abnormalities regarding the rod bolt torque were corrected. There are many more tuned 2015 running just fine than blown engines and the frequency of engine failure has diminished over time. To my knowledge the 678, 677, 676. and 675 Spanish engines have held up better than the previous engine numbers and are the fastest EB's setting records at the track. Also, some tuners have never had a blown engine. There are too many variables that are unknown and may have changed at some point to say that Cleveland engines are superior to all Spanish engines.
My guess is that it's a really low number of bad engines, but it's exaggerated online. We have, what, 15 or so on this forum with blown motors. No idea how many have blown that don't post here. So we have 15 on this forum and that becomes "Spanish motors are crap". I would like to see actual data from Ford. That would tell us if there's a real issue with certain Spanish engines.

And I had a major tuner on here say just as much... early tune was messing up engines during colder months, so he went with a summer/winter tune (created winter tune, he did not say if he adjusted the summer tune).

On this forum it is difficult sometimes to understand what is real and what is fact... people read something and think that is real.

Hey, it can't be the tuner, it MUST be the engine.
I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of seasonal tunes. In Colorado we can see 45 degrees in the AM and 90 by noon. We get massive temperature swings.

Forums can be a great source of information and misinformation. It's tough to weed it out and know what to believe sometimes.
Manufacturers don't help either when they release bogus claims for their products. "Dyno proven 20hp increase from our CAI on a completely stock car!!"

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Ha, ha... I had to go back to the first post... I was like wtf is wrong with this person....

Congrats on the car!

Funny thing is, the look of this car never gets old... I see them over and over and still think they look beautiful.

Sponsored

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Congrats!
Welcome to the family.
I've got 32k on mine. Tuned and I do my best to drive the snot out of it. The car has been rock solid on the street and track.

I've had a couple of small electronic issues that miraculously cured themselves. The radio stopped working twice, the fuel gauge acted wonky after a track day and the backup camera stopped working for a day, but they've all cured themselves. Weird.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Congratulations. If you haven't already noticed the PP summer tires can be a bit slippery under 70 degrees so be easy until the tires get warmed up. It doesn't take a whole lot of throttle to get sideways on cold tires.

Also, the 2015 has sync 2 which allows custom wallpaper. Here is a link to an old thread with some of my custom wallpaper. You can save the images to a usb and transfer them to the Mustang. You can add a bunch of pics to the wallpaper library and change the wallpaper via the edit wallpaper in the settings.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1207406#post1207406

Last edited:

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Congrats man.
I love my EB PP car. As mentioned, the summer tires are a little slippery at first when it's cold out.

Sponsored

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy the car!
I just hit 16K with my Spain motor and have had no problems as well.
All I have is a UPR dual valve catch can but will be tuning it in the future.
These engines seem to be pretty reliable. Just make sure you have a good tuner.

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
looks like the build date on the window stick is 06/04/2015/ i know ford started production in the us on march 6 so i am assuming it will be alright?
Where are you seeing 6/4/15 on this windowsticker? im reading it as 2/11/2015.

To make it even more confusing if you check the ford vehicle look up here

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do and put in your vin 1FA6P8TH5F5365510 it shows: Build Date: 12.02.2015

edit: didnt read past the first page lol. congrats on the selection. I love my ecoboost. I have engine issues right now misfires and oil in cylinders 2 and 3. currently in repair state. not sure whats going to happen but its a gamble you take with anything when you modify it. it is what it is and i cant wait to drive her again.

Last edited:

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I firmly believe that there Spanish built engines are not a problem. To believe that the rod bolts weren't torqued properly on some of them is crazy with the way modern engines are assembled. My car has gone 10.73 at just under 128 mph on a Spanish build engine, which is guessed to be near 500 HP. I took the original engine out of the car at just over 25k miles and put in an engine with aftermarket rods and pistons and some upgrades to be sure that I would not break the OEM engine. The original engine is now at Esslinger Engineering getting upgrades. I firmly believe that the problem is tune related, you get to greedy at low engine speed, and they break, either the Spanish built, or the Cleveland engine, both which have broke in the exact same fashion. Enjoy your 15', I love mine, and hey its the 50th anniversary year car.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What do you mean by low engine speed?

Do you mean silly things like flooring it in any gear while you're at low rpm? What is low RPM? Under 2k? If Im going to floor it, what RPM should I never do that below?

I keep mine between 2000-2500rpm when driving. I NEVER cruise under 2k rpm.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Congrats Phil! So are you at JDM Engineering? If so, you going to have Jim tune it for you?

One thing you'll notice with the PP at least is how bouncy the suspension is. One of the first things I did was lower the car with Steeda Progressive springs for the EB. It actually improved the ride from the PP springs which were very bouncy. Later I got Koni Sport adjustable dampers. It was right before Steeda released their Pro Action dampers or I would have gone with them. Steeda's have a more suitable adjustment range. After lowering it, the wheels looked severely tucked. I got 25mm wheel adapters from American Muscle all the way around. The front is perfect, the back is just a little further out than I'd like but not bad. The wheel comes right to the edge of the quarter panel and the tire bulges past it just a little. I have an order in for the MRR M600 wheels made for the Mustang which will correct that. The next thing you'll notice probably is the wheel hop! It's mad with the IRS on this car. I went with the Steeda Stop the Hop package (plus some other Steeda goodies) which has made aggressive cornering very predictable and fun!

I hope you enjoy the car, I love my Ecoboost, it's a blast!
Sponsored