Sponsored

2015 GT vs. Lexus RC F

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Now throw the RCF into the equation and you're talking comparable engine specs, but now you're at the price of $75,000. Of note, the RCF engine is too a carry over from the previous generation ISF.
It is not a carryover. ISF was 416 hp RCF is 467hp. There were a ton of enhancements done to it. Even with these enhancements, the RCF gained 30 rwhp and 40 rwtq from a cat back exhaust. ISFs gained 75 rwhp from I/H/E alone without a tune (Toyota/Lexus encrypts the ECU). The SARD racing team in japan is able to unlock their ECUs for racing and they were gaining 30-40hp on their tunes which is still conservative whereas factory tune is super conservative. Pretty disappointing the ECUs are locked, there is a lot of potential sealed away.

Not sure why a dynojet is reading so low stock but you can see the before and after:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f/765245-rcf-mods-asap-4.html#post9030563

In full disclosure, I used to be very interested in this car and I've studied the RCF a lot ever since it came out. I currently own a 14 IS350 F Sport and had a 06 IS350 before that. I came to the conclusion that I dont want to swing 78k for the RCF build I wanted. So now Im off to considering the next good 5.0 V8 - the Stang. What drew me to the Stang was the huge aftermarket support, ECU is tuneable, great price, and it maybe time to try something new other than a Lexus. RCF isnt a slouch its only .3 sec behind the M4 on streets of willow and competive with 1LE and 15GT PP. Maybe one day a good used RCF will come my way. Its a rare car and an endangered breed like the 5.0 GT. NA V8s are endangered, and the V8 cant last forever under these bullshit CAFE standards. Where else are you going to find a unicorn of an engine - a 5.0 Japanese V8 that sounds like a muscle car? RCF is a special car, but more a grand touring car than a sports car.

Camaro 1LE - 1:22.81
BMW M4 - 1:23.73
Lexus RCF - 1:24.05
Mustang GT PP - 1:24.32

New or redesigned parts include:
Cylinder heads and cam covers
Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
Crank main bearings and caps
High-strength forged connecting rods
Pistons and piston rings
Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
Intake manifold and throttle body
Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
Oil pan and baffle plate
Alternator clutch system
Engine and transmission oil coolers
Spark plugs

Digging Into the Metal
  • The new cylinder heads improve the 2UR-GSE engine’s breathing with improved porting and a high-flow/high tumble ratio. In addition, intake surge-tank capacity has been optimized, as have the intake manifold runner length and diameter.
  • The new oil pan baffle shape reduces agitation and hence friction, while new air-to-oil coolers for the engine oil and transmission fluid increase track suitability.
  • The Lexus D-4S dual-injection system has been redesigned, with higher injection pressure of 2,611 psi and improved fuel atomization.
  • The throttle diameter was increased by 10 percent, from 3 to 3.3 inches (84 mm).
  • A new intake camshaft profile increases valve lift and suits the Atkinson cycle, while improvements to the electronic VVT-iE system have expanded its range of operation for increased fuel economy and performance.
  • New four-into-two exhaust headers help reduce interference and hence further improve engine breathing. The larger-diameter exhaust system is designed to reduce backpressure and sound amazing, especially under acceleration. At the same time, the main muffler keeps things from getting too rowdy at lower speeds.
  • As a final touch, the new 2UR-GSE engine has a one-way clutch on the alternator pulley.
Sponsored

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
My GF just bought an IS250. It's pretty sweet. Definitely not the performer the 350 is. But the design is pretty hot and though it's different, it's for the better. She's got the crafted line interior with red two tone, brilliant white and black wheels, accents, etc. f sport.

While there, we checked out the rc. It's pretty dang hot. From the headlight design to the grill to the roofline to the whole proportion of the thing. It's nice. Pretty sweet engine too. It didn't rock my world. But it's a decent performer.

That said, the current mustang dang near holds its own in terms of design right next to the RC. JUST DO SOMETHING A BIT MORE CREATIVE WITH THE GRILL AND LIGHTING, and The Mustang is a domestic exotic. As nice as it looks in pics, when you are staring at the new steed in person, the Mustang looks like an Freddie Jag, Aston, Ferrari, but with some Ametican heritage showing through.

Performance wise, until ford decides to put some high performance autos in the car, it will be shift time limited. Lol.

We live in interesting times.

Where design and production capability is at such a maturation point that a Musyang can look as good as or better than a Lexus sports car. And a cheap Huyandai model can mimic a 2016 Camaro.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The lexus design is a big freaking mess. That will be the one thing.that kills them. They need to revamp their design team asap. This coupe is hideous and breaks every design rule u can possibly imagine.

Why anyone would want to pay double for a big design mess is beyond me.
Test drove the car couple of months ago! Even went to the dealer with my GTPP. In person the car looks stunning! The curves, front and back is really hot. The interior is just WoW! I have the premier trim premium interior in my mustang, but even comparing that to lexus is not fair. Super high quality materials screaming every where in that car.

Digital gauge was awesome and it revs pass 7000 rpm. Beautiful exhaust sound too. The problem is the car is way too heavy and for the same money i could have bought a loaded z51 corvette or a base zo6. But that lexus has a character and totally different from any other car on the road.

One note, the engine in the lexus is like coyote on steroids. Somehow that car looses 400-500 lbs then no german car in its class can compete with it.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
One note, the engine in the lexus is like coyote on steroids. Somehow that car looses 400-500 lbs then no german car in its class can compete with it.
M4 was only .3 sec faster. Take note on the side by side hot lap footage, there is a stark difference in each cars driveability which allowed a car with a 400# weight disadvantage to narrow the gap. Watch the Ms steering go crazy when putting on power after an apex

[ame]

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
M4 was only .3 sec faster. Take note on the side by side hot lap footage, there is a stark difference in each cars driveability which allowed a car with a 400# weight disadvantage to narrow the gap. Watch the Ms steering go crazy when putting on power after an apex

Yup, and the mustang is only 0.24 seconds slower than the rcf.

Sponsored

fly2low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 1969 Cougar, and some more...
Sorry folks, as much as I like S550 GT....
Before I start, I think S550 GT PP 6M Recaro is a better driver's car than '10 GT
500 having driven them back to back, except for the acceleration when driven hard btw. That means a real driving not just a straight line driving ....
RCF's chassis is quite amazing driven in "expert mode" (dial the drive mode to the right to Sport + then turn off the traction control). RCF feels much lighter and the auto is never in the wrong gear in the canyons, blipping in downshift, and I am a manual transmission guy. This is a "regular" RCF with the mechanical Torsen LSD and not with the torque vectoring. Compared to RCF, S550 GT PP 6m Recaro feels very sloppy. Now GT350 might be a different story as it is unobtanium and I have never driven one.

As a note, since I m not that good of a driver, I drive faster in RCF than in M4 in the canyons. With M4 you either have traction or no traction at all and I feel less confident. RCF is just so easy to be driven hard.

All in all, though, I still want to either get a S197 GT500 or get an S550GT 6M PP Recaro with added Ford Racing supercharger and racing handling packages just for the heck of it, after owning an RCF.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I test drove an rcf a couple months ago when my gf bought her IS.

I was expecting A LOT more for the money.

It's s nice car. Feels refined enough and powerful enough.

And I like the way it looks. The interior is a mixed bag.

The exhaust is meh.

The s550 GTPP I test drove is ahead in terms of what I could "feel" performance wise. And I don't know why but the s550 in pictures looks good but doesn't blow me away. In person it's a completely different story. It looks exotic.

I actually preferred the looks, the interior and what I could feel performance wise from the s550 but feels like the superior sporting platform.

The Lexus just felt heavy to me.

Nice. But heavy feeling. And I don't think it's anywhere near worth what they're asking.

It's beyond even gt350 price. And if the gtpp feels that good vs the rcf, the gt350 slaps it around in its spare time.

fly2low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you drive the RCF in "expert mode"? It transforms the car from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde, the same way that Fiesta ST must be driven in expert mode (not only sport mode) with all electronics off (pressing the traction control for about 10 secs.

i was also meh on rcf in regular and even Sport + mode until I found out how to do the expert mode.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Did you drive the RCF in "expert mode"? It transforms the car from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde, the same way that Fiesta ST must be driven in expert mode (not only sport mode) with all electronics off (pressing the traction control for about 10 secs.

i was also meh on rcf in regular and even Sport + mode until I found out how to do the expert mode.
No. The helpful girl that sold us the IS was in the passenger seat and I had it in sport + mode. Didn't even know there was an "expert mode"

I just googled it and apparently it just turns off the nannies. Doesn't sound like it provides any ral performance benefit. Though the more raw feel may have cause you to feel differently.

I really liked the car. And lexus is so straightforward about everything. It's refreshing. Even compared to Ford dealers.

But seriously. that price. For that car. i just can't even come close to justifying it.

Especially for sport reasons. It just doesn't feel all that fast. And in the turns, it feels heavy. The Mustang actually impressed me more both in acceleration and corners.

And I was a bit turned off that the interior is an exact copy of the IS interior.

But the exterior? Yes please. teeters dangerously close to wierd looking huyundai veloster style, but doesn't actually go there and I like the risks lexus is taking with design.

fly2low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't only turn the nannies off. It also lock the torque converter 100%.

The price is hard much more compared to S550.

If I sound like a Toyota fan. Well, Ford and Toyota are my 2 favorite brands these days (see my signature
for our Ford cars). I ve been having doubts about getting an S550 GT. Like millions other people, I want a GT350 but can't find one without a ridiculous markup.

This very day, I m torn between a '15/'16 GT PP 6m Recaro or a '10 GT500 I test drove yesterday with almost 40k miles. Except for the acceleration, I feel the new GT is a more fun and substantial car, not too mention it is new. But man, it is a GT500 and the big depreciation has already happened. They are both at almost the same price OTD (that's why '13&14 are not into consideration. I can update the supercharger on the '10 anyway though it would still be an iron block).

About desgn, it is purely subjective. Some people like the S550 better, some like RCF better. i happen to like both. My designer wife, though, thinks RCF is sexy and S550 is ugly and out of proportion. Gladly, she thinks that the Camaro is one very ugly piece :). See what my problem is, can't pull the trigger without the big boss giving a stamp of approval.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It doesn't only turn the nannies off. It also lock the torque converter 100%.

The price is hard much more compared to S550.

If I sound like a Toyota fan. Well, Ford and Toyota are my 2 favorite brands these days (see my signature
for our Ford cars). I ve been having doubts about getting an S550 GT. Like millions other people, I want a GT350 but can't find one without a ridiculous markup.

This very day, I m torn between a '15/'16 GT PP 6m Recaro or a '10 GT500 I test drove yesterday with almost 40k miles. Except for the acceleration, I feel the new GT is a more fun and substantial car, not too mention it is new. But man, it is a GT500 and the big depreciation has already happened. They are both at almost the same price OTD (that's why '13&14 are not into consideration. I can update the supercharger on the '10 anyway though it would still be an iron block).

About desgn, it is purely subjective. Some people like the S550 better, some like RCF better. i happen to like both. My designer wife, though, thinks RCF is sexy and S550 is ugly and out of proportion. Gladly, she thinks that the Camaro is one very ugly piece :). See what my problem is, can't pull the trigger without the big boss giving a stamp of approval.
Im a designer as well. And too familiar with varying aesthetic tastes. Mathematic ratios seen in nature being applied to design is where it's at. And it seems most designers have converged on that common denominator these days.

The rc and the 550 both had designers that tried hard to follow that philosophy. The camaro did as well but has more deviation. However I'm one of the mustang fans that sees a lot of hotness in the new camaro design in spite of the afterthought rear end and the scion rear quarter window.

I didn't read anything about the torque converter with expert mode but I'll take your word for it as I could only find so much info. And you knew enough to find the mode when you drive it while I didn't know it existed. The Lexus rep didn't bother mentioning it.

Hopefully the car doesn't hurt itself in that mode. There must be a reason why it's not marked anywhere.

fly2low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I m glad that we can have an inteligent conversation here. I was invited as a select few by Lexus USA for a focus group of the F brand earlier this year (think of it as SVT invite you to be in a focus group). I met Mr. Yaguchi, the RCF's chief engineer and some other key engineers. Another cool thing is the car has a G sensor. So, when you are in the expert mode and is about to kill yourself, the G sensor detects it and turns the nannies back on. But this is only done in a very hairy case unlike what they do, say in VW Golf R.

i criticized the upcoming GSF. I told them they couldn't just slap RCF engine in GS body and call it GSF as that car will be 100hp deficient compared to M5, E63 AMG, CTS-V Etc. I suggested them to better call it GS500 F Sport. You should have seen how one of them almost choked eating then kebob luncheon they served. Priceless. The guy was actually humble enough and, instead of making an excuse, thanking me for my honesty.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I m glad that we can have an inteligent conversation here. I was invited as a select few by Lexus USA for a focus group of the F brand earlier this year (think of it as SVT invite you to be in a focus group). I met Mr. Yaguchi, the RCF's chief engineer and some other key engineers. Another cool thing is the car has a G sensor. So, when you are in the expert mode and is about to kill yourself, the G sensor detects it and turns the nannies back on. But this is only done in a very hairy case unlike what they do, say in VW Golf R.

i criticized the upcoming GSF. I told them they couldn't just slap RCF engine in GS body and call it GSF as that car will be 100hp deficient compared to M5, E63 AMG, CTS-V Etc. I suggested them to better call it GS500 F Sport. You should have seen how one of them almost choked eating then kebob luncheon they served. Priceless. The guy was actually humble enough and, instead of making an excuse, thanking me for my honesty.
I think you'll find this forum is an exception to the typical "everyone's an [immature] expert" type of thing that pervades the Internet.

Of course you'll have the rare person here who just has to win the argument no matter what. But most here either know what they're talking about or are at least humble enough to learn from those that do.

Of course those categories do tend to get sorted out rather quickly as posers are often caught.

I can imagine that focus group being a lot of fun. Sounds like a neat experience. And I hope they gave your input more weight than what typically happens as the example you gave is quite sound.

It's seems auto makers can do whatever they want nowadays. It's no longer a matter of tech or design. It's just financial and regulatory restrictions. What s time to be alive.

fly2low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I ended up with an '08 Z06 with only 11k miles, comes with a set of brand new OEM tires, too. It is practically still a new car. It was impossible to resist! Although I an a Ford fan, I must admit this is a great car.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
BTW, I ended up with an '08 Z06 with only 11k miles, comes with a set of brand new OEM tires, too. It is practically still a new car. It was impossible to resist! Although I an a Ford fan, I must admit this is a great car.
Can't go wrong. The c6 zo6 and zr1 were some of the most amazing vehicles produced by anyone at any time. Congratulations.

I like SOME Fords. And some others. Not really a badge fan. The Mustang appeals to me for a lot of reasons. As do the c6 z vettes. When they first came out the zr1 was my dream car. These days, I'm more of a lambo fan... But you know... Budget constraints being what they are...
Sponsored