Sponsored

2015 GT PP Steering Wandering Issue

BootyNugget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
Could just be the tires. I’m running stock pirellis in the front and continental extremecontact dws in the back and I noticed this issue right after I changed the tires. I’m going back to my pirellis.
Very well could be, but good grief those Pirellis don't last AT ALL.
Sponsored

vimal01997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They really don’t. They lasted me a good 3k miles before they were down to 2/32. I definitely will regret putting these pirellis back on, but I really do hate this steering wander.

BootyNugget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
They really don’t. They lasted me a good 3k miles before they were down to 2/32. I definitely will regret putting these pirellis back on, but I really do hate this steering wander.
I might have to switch back to those next time around... kind of pricey gamble to take! I got about 12k out of the rears and almost 20k out of the front. I replaced the front ones due to them cracking, not due to wear, though they probably only had 10 percent usable tread left...

OP
OP
KA06GT

KA06GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
I honestly can’t think of any other things besides having your suspension checked and double check your wheel hub. After I used linelock my wheel hub became loose and it started wandering everywhere on the road, had it retorqued because it became loose from the linelock and that problem went away.. but this problem I’m having, I believe it should be the tires.
If you end up putting new tires on the front to match the rear, please keep me updated if it fixes the issue or not!

I've checked everything suspension a few times, but I'll double check again to see if I can spot anything.

Strange you mention this. I've had this issue with my 2015 PP since the first time I changed the rear tires. So, story time - the wife and I were taking a road trip down from South Dakota to North Carolina to visit family and I thought I'd take the car around the tail of the dragon (see here - if you get a chance, it's a kick ass road to drive... https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of-the-dragon-map/) Anyway, when I reached the end of the curvy part, I got out to check my tires (after all, I was roasting the shit out of them around nearly all the curves. Turns out my rears were more worn than I had originally thought, and they had worn unevenly (inner wear was more than outer). So I drove on to my destination and contacted the Ford dealer there to have new Continental ExtremeContact DWS rear tires put on the following day - the front stock Pirellis were still OK at that time. After changing the tires, they dealer did an alignment on the car mentioning that it was just barely out of spec. and handed me the keys. Drove away and within minutes noticed that the car "wanders" in the lane and the steering feels "floaty" for lack of better word. So I immediately returned to the Ford place and they checked the alignment again - it was dead nuts on... So upon returning back to South Dakota, I took it into the dealer I bought it from and had them re-check the alignment. They told me it was not out of alignment and that the dealer down in North Carolina had adjusted it to perfection. So, I figured maybe it was an issue with tread not matching on front and rear... changed the front tires to new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires, and the issue persists. I almost have to wonder if the alignment needs more toe-in on the front or something to keep it from wandering, but that's just my guess. Really wish I knew what was causing this though... I'm just glad I'm not the only one!
My car burnt through those rear Pirelli's in no time. I'm a big Nitto fan and love their NT555 G2's and had great luck with them on my last two Mustang, but with the front Pirelli's still good in the front I didn't see any need to replace them yet, but I spent so much in alignments I would have just bought the front ones too if I had know this was going to happen.

I've heard of "tramlining" but I ran a staggard setup of the NT555's on my last 5.0 with EPS and never had an issue, granted I changed front and rear at the same time and then got an alignment with cam bolts since I lowered it.

So you're thinking that since you now have the Continental's in the front and rear since Ford aligned it with the Pirelli's on the front that could be causing the issue? I know this EPS is precise, but I'd hate to know it was that picky and makes this BIG of an issue. Do you have plans to get it aligned again now with matching tires? I'm to the point that I'll put matching Nitto's on the front (still a staggard setup of course) and get it realigned if it will fix my problem. It's driving me insane.

Side note - Tail of the Dragon has been on my list for some time now. It's roughly 4 hours from my front door so my self and the buddy with the Challenger and another friend with an S550 plan on making a day trip assuming I can get this issue resolved. I also have a motorcycle trip planned for Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the Rattler 209 next spring!

BootyNugget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
If you end up putting new tires on the front to match the rear, please keep me updated if it fixes the issue or not!

I've checked everything suspension a few times, but I'll double check again to see if I can spot anything.

My car burnt through those rear Pirelli's in no time. I'm a big Nitto fan and love their NT555 G2's and had great luck with them on my last two Mustang, but with the front Pirelli's still good in the front I didn't see any need to replace them yet, but I spent so much in alignments I would have just bought the front ones too if I had know this was going to happen.

I've heard of "tramlining" but I ran a staggard setup of the NT555's on my last 5.0 with EPS and never had an issue, granted I changed front and rear at the same time and then got an alignment with cam bolts since I lowered it.

So you're thinking that since you now have the Continental's in the front and rear since Ford aligned it with the Pirelli's on the front that could be causing the issue? I know this EPS is precise, but I'd hate to know it was that picky and makes this BIG of an issue. Do you have plans to get it aligned again now with matching tires? I'm to the point that I'll put matching Nitto's on the front (still a staggard setup of course) and get it realigned if it will fix my problem. It's driving me insane.

Side note - Tail of the Dragon has been on my list for some time now. It's roughly 4 hours from my front door so my self and the buddy with the Challenger and another friend with an S550 plan on making a day trip assuming I can get this issue resolved. I also have a motorcycle trip planned for Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the Rattler 209 next spring!
From reading through this thread, it just seems like an issue with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire on this car (for some reason)... I don't think it mattered that it was aligned with the old Pirellis on the front... It had the issue both before and after I changed the front tires. The only reason they aligned it to begin with was because the original rear Pirellis were wearing unevenly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KA06GT

KA06GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
From reading through this thread, it just seems like an issue with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire on this car (for some reason)... I don't think it mattered that it was aligned with the old Pirellis on the front... It had the issue both before and after I changed the front tires. The only reason they aligned it to begin with was because the original rear Pirellis were wearing unevenly.
To me it seems like any tire on this car other than the Pirelli's seem to be causing an issue.

Have you all noticed a common occurrence between the three of us? We all have 2015 PP cars. Every other thing I've read about with any sort of issue like this happening has been on a 2015 not a 2016+. I wonder if its just a 2015 PP issue when you change the factory Pirelli's?..

BootyNugget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
To me it seems like any tire on this car other than the Pirelli's seem to be causing an issue.

Have you all noticed a common occurrence between the three of us? We all have 2015 PP cars. Every other thing I've read about with any sort of issue like this happening has been on a 2015 not a 2016+. I wonder if its just a 2015 PP issue when you change the factory Pirelli's?..
It's possible... I really wish I had a set of the Pirellis I could test with!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If you are experiencing this after shoring up the IRS with Steeda or BMR (and you've installed each correctly and re-checked torque after 500 miles and you've clocked bushings if you have lowering springs), then you need to address your front end alignment. I put 0 toe in the rear so there is less change of it influencing my car and I put -1/16 total toe in the front so it maintains a center line but isn't chewing up tires - and it doesn't.

The only time I've had a wondering feeling that was as described in this thread is if I have 0 toe in the front, or more toe on one side than the other. I tried 0 toe for a road course alignment, hated it. I let a dealer put my alignment to stock specs for winter once and that was wondering all over the place and a few weeks later had it fixed and found that the a-hole just green-zoned all my specs and they were as far opposite as can be.

I also find that the steering rack in these cars is not heavy enough, causing this to happen just naturally, especially while going straight. I believe it's an improvement opportunity. Almost all Mustangs I've driven have had more tramlining than I'd really consider acceptable. It was one reason I almost turned around and insisted I get my money back for this car as the Camaro SS was dead straight and true, no issues.
Yes, I do the same thing.
My dad was a mechanic all his life. He’s gone now but one of the many things he told me was to never align a car toed out. He said it doesn’t hurt to have it toed in slightly, becuse the car will drive better. Some manufacturers spec zero toe with a tolerance, so while a car may be in spec it may not be as good as it could be. Of course, if there is damage of some sort it could allow movement as well.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I'm running 555 G2s in the rear with about 9k on them and the stock PZero's up front with about about 19k on them. I did notice a little steering wandering but figured it couldn't be attributed to the 555 G2s in the rear.

I've since added rear camber arms, front camber plates, rear cradle lock, and got a recent alignment with my car on Eibach Sportlines. It's definitely improved but there is a slight bit of play there that I swear I never noticed when the car was new.

OP
OP
KA06GT

KA06GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
I'm running 555 G2s in the rear with about 9k on them and the stock PZero's up front with about about 19k on them. I did notice a little steering wandering but figured it couldn't be attributed to the 555 G2s in the rear.

I've since added rear camber arms, front camber plates, rear cradle lock, and got a recent alignment with my car on Eibach Sportlines. It's definitely improved but there is a slight bit of play there that I swear I never noticed when the car was new.
That is a big concern I have. I can't find anything "wrong" with any suspension components of the car, so I hate to start throwing even more time and money at this to find out that it's definitely a tire issue..

Has anyone with a 2015 PP changed both front and rear tires to a matching set tires such as Nitto NT555 G2's or Continental ExtremeContact DWS (or a similar performance tire) and the issue gone away?

I'd love to know if I change out the front Pireills to match the rear Nittos that the issue would go away, or if for some horrible reason you HAVE to run the factory P Zero tires front and rear to get an almost brand new car to drive better or at least on par with my last 7 year old 100K miles, lowered, Mustang did.

This is just crazy.

Sponsored

BootyNugget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
That is a big concern I have. I can't find anything "wrong" with any suspension components of the car, so I hate to start throwing even more time and money at this to find out that it's definitely a tire issue..

Has anyone with a 2015 PP changed both front and rear tires to a matching set tires such as Nitto NT555 G2's or Continental ExtremeContact DWS (or a similar performance tire) and the issue gone away?

I'd love to know if I change out the front Pireills to match the rear Nittos that the issue would go away, or if for some horrible reason you HAVE to run the factory P Zero tires front and rear to get an almost brand new car to drive better or at least on par with my last 7 year old 100K miles, lowered, Mustang did.

This is just crazy.

Yes, I have ContiExtremeContact DWS on both front and rear now - steering still wanders! Issue persists! All stock PP suspension.

OP
OP
KA06GT

KA06GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I have ContiExtremeContact DWS on both front and rear now - steering still wanders! Issue persists! All stock PP suspension.
I'm thinking my next move will be to put Nitto's on the front so I have matching tires front and rear, then get another alignment and see what happens. I just can't justify going back to the stock Pireilli's after they've shown how short lived they are!

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I'm thinking my next move will be to put Nitto's on the front so I have matching tires front and rear, then get another alignment and see what happens. I just can't justify going back to the stock Pireilli's after they've shown how short lived they are!
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I had this issue on my 2015 PP last year and it was the tires. I put new 555 G2s on the rear, but hadn't replaced the Pzero's up front and Hot damn, it would tramline so bad! After installing 555 G2 up front, the issue went away.

For informational sake, this is what I had on the car at the time:

- Air Lift Performance Digital v2 air bags
- Steeda IRS alignment kit
- Steeda IRS braces
- 25mm spacers all around

This is not alignment or suspension related, but tire related. It only happened when I had mismatched tires front/rear. I've only run PZero's and 555 G2's on it, thus far, so I can't speak for any other tires. Make sure your alignment is put back to factory spec after you replace your front tires with the 555 G2s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KA06GT

KA06GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I had this issue on my 2015 PP last year and it was the tires. I put new 555 G2s on the rear, but hadn't replaced the Pzero's up front and Hot damn, it would tramline so bad! After installing 555 G2 up front, the issue went away.

For informational sake, this is what I had on the car at the time:

- Air Lift Performance Digital v2 air bags
- Steeda IRS alignment kit
- Steeda IRS braces
- 25mm spacers all around

This is not alignment or suspension related, but tire related. It only happened when I had mismatched tires front/rear. I've only run PZero's and 555 G2's on it, thus far, so I can't speak for any other tires. Make sure your alignment is put back to factory spec after you replace your front tires with the 555 G2s.

SiMuL,

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! This has been driving me CRAZY. How long did you suffer through it before replacing the fronts?

So everything is back to normal now after running matching 555 G2's and an alignment?

Hopefully there won't be enough difference in tread when I do replace the fronts that it will cause an issue...

I also think a big part of it was getting a factory spec alignment after putting the 555 G2's on the front. I know BootyNugget said he put matching ExtremeContact DWS on the front after experiencing the same issue and it didn't fix the problem, but I think from some previous posts that he didn't get another alignment after replacing the front tires. (BootyNugget please correct me if I misinterpreted!)

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
SiMuL,

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! This has been driving me CRAZY. How long did you suffer through it before replacing the fronts?

So everything is back to normal now after running matching 555 G2's and an alignment?

Hopefully there won't be enough difference in tread when I do replace the fronts that it will cause an issue...
I was immediately displeased with how the car drove, but couldn't replace the tires for a couple weeks, so I think I put another 2k miles on the car before replacing them. The tread wear was pretty close on both front/rear.

Now, I was so sensitive to the tramlining that even after replacing the fronts with G2's, I still felt it a little, but that sensation went away after driving the car for a couple hundred miles. Now I don't think about it and the car feels normal.

Hell, it was so bad before I put the G2's up front that the car would lurch to one side if I hit any type of incline in the road that would lift the car's suspension in anyway. I was doing over 100mph one night and hit one of the uneven sections on the freeway where the road meets a bridge and the car popped up and half way into the shoulder (a good 1.5 feet to the left). I thought I was going to lose control and hit the median. Needless to say, after that, I babied it until I got the G2's up front.

I had NO idea tires could make that much of a difference and be that dangerous if they're not matched up properly.
Sponsored