2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Well this thread has officially jumped the shark. We don't even know if the FP cooler solution exists. And if it does we don't know any details.

But, apparently it will not do the job because of a few reasons and one of them being it is a dummy system and just tricks the sensor (and owners).......:doh:
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
One of the guys who experienced the issue is local to me. He doesn't beat on his car and it had low mileage. It sounds like a production issue that only some will experience. Hence why they are just replaced with no need for tear down. My guess is not so much hush hush, but the other owners may not post here. There's like 5-6 of these GT350 sites now

I don't have a crystal ball, but since you do can you tell me what next months super lotto numbers are also?
I think people are having issues and just not posting then which is odd since people on forums usually tell from the roof tops any issues they have I blame ADM *beatsdeadhorse* or maybe the nature of forums has changed in my absence

choice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 67 Coupe
I suspect there are many who have not chimed in because they don't want to get jumped by the track pack owners. That is why I have been quietly watching for the last 8 months. BTW, thanks track pack guys for not pouncing!

I haven't tracked my car yet and haven't gone limp in daily driving, however I'm guessing I could have yesterday if I had pushed a bit more. 258 seems really high and temps just continue to build the harder you push. I see how you could do it by staying in 3-4 a bunch and not sitting in 6th while cruising around.

I got the nGuage because I wanted some additional proof when and if it happens and I have to visit my dealer. BTW, I have asked everyone there and they have no knowledge about any tranny overheating issues or limp mode, but when I told them I was going to attend a track day they said I should wait a while longer. Go figure...

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
I think the cost of the track pack transmission is in the 3k range. I see that kit being around $4000
I was thinking $4000 too. I'd be surprised to see them take the old one back, too.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I suspect there are many who have not chimed in because they don't want to get jumped by the track pack owners. That is why I have been quietly watching for the last 8 months. BTW, thanks track pack guys for not pouncing!

I haven't tracked my car yet and haven't gone limp in daily driving, however I'm guessing I could have yesterday if I had pushed a bit more. 258 seems really high and temps just continue to build the harder you push. I see how you could do it by staying in 3-4 a bunch and not sitting in 6th while cruising around.

I got the nGuage because I wanted some additional proof when and if it happens and I have to visit my dealer. BTW, I have asked everyone there and they have no knowledge about any tranny overheating issues or limp mode, but when I told them I was going to attend a track day they said I should wait a while longer. Go figure...
??

I'm glad that there is finally an option around the corner for those who want/need coolers. I don't think track pack people are laying in the weeds waiting to pounce..... I can honestly say that I'm happy for everyone who needs the additional cooling and will soon have it available.

I do not wish to argue or debate the issue of choice which led to this whole situation. If you feel the need to track your car, you will now have an option available if you feel that it is important to you. I just hope that there isn't a bunch of complaining when people don't want to spring for the cost.

I would be curious as to how many people actually opt into the extra expense to retrofit their 350's so that they can track for extended periods (actual percentage of tech owners who opt in).

I am thrilled to see a solution that makes everyone happy. Please keep us posted on the progress.

Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
I could be wrong, but I think most of the folks having limp mode problems would gladly pony up a grand or more for a solution, just my .02 ...
I'm surprised no one has done a write-up on a DIY kit using an off-the-shelf pump, cooler, and lines. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
I'm surprised no one has done a write-up on a DIY kit using an off-the-shelf pump, cooler, and lines. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
There isn't a kit, but there is a thread here with a complete write up and parts list of the install.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
??

I'm glad that there is finally an option around the corner for those who want/need coolers. I don't think track pack people are laying in the weeds waiting to pounce..... I can honestly say that I'm happy for everyone who needs the additional cooling and will soon have it available.

I do not wish to argue or debate the issue of choice which led to this whole situation. If you feel the need to track your car, you will now have an option available if you feel that it is important to you. I just hope that there isn't a bunch of complaining when people don't want to spring for the cost.

I would be curious as to how many people actually opt into the extra expense to retrofit their 350's so that they can track for extended periods (actual percentage of tech owners who opt in).

I am thrilled to see a solution that makes everyone happy. Please keep us posted on the progress.
Very few I'd suspect

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cus I have both cars and I've spoke with tons of people that build these transmissions and to people that race them..and one guy that has added a cooler actually feels that the tranny cooler if added I's possibly just tricking the temp sensor due to where the fluid is removed and replaced .
Also the company I work for has a race shop right next to my building and that's all they do is work on stuff like this
:lol:

I'm excited for the solution from Ford Performance. I'd really like to get back out to the track in September. :ford:

I've noticed that the transmissions in these cars really work great driving around town on a hot day (for me in MN this is upper 80s) shifting up and down a lot. They also work awesome at the track. I've had no problems downshifting, upshifting at high RPM, etc. I'm extremely impressed with the transmission. I know manual transmissions are susceptible to problems from missed shifts, etc., but mine has been great and I'm really happy with it.

I hope there's a solution that I can turn on and off, because I think the track pack version will run too cold on cool days on the street. The car definitely needs a transmission cooler at the track, but most of my driving is not there. In my opinion the 2016 Base and Tech cars may end up with the best version of the coolers for a car that is mostly used on the street and often used in temperatures below 70F. Yes, the external pump will probably have a shorter life than the pump internal to the transmission, but I think being able to turn it on and off will be worth all the trouble we've been through.

EDIT: I sent an email to Mike Robins at Ford Performance to ask whether a solution and letters were coming soon and he said that he's not aware of the solution being ready OR any discussion of letters being sent to owners as of yet. So - I'm advocating patience - I think the wait will be a little longer yet.

Last edited:

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
You know they get just as hot, GT350 aero may add /trap some additional heat but no sensor, no problem. It doesn't help that they run the fluid in the Tremec that they do.
Would swapping out the OE tranny fluid to BG synchro shift2 help in reducing temps ?

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Would swapping out the OE tranny fluid to BG synchro shift2 help in reducing temps ?
I know your asking op but I was told by 3 different people that they were baffled why ford opted to use auto tranny fluid in this tranny and felt by using manual fluid should help..it only made sense

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I would love the feedback. It works great in the MT82 and takes more abuse than the DCT fluid from the factory. DCT has a higher viscosity than the LV ATF used in the Tremec with 100 less horsepower generating heat. Going to 75W140 helps with the rear axle warning on PP GT's over a lower viscosity fluid.

I only suggested it because it seems like something much less expensive to try. If you are hitting roughly 300F in the transmission the fluid in there has to be compromised somewhat and should be swapped. Why not try something designed for a manual?

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
I know your asking op but I was told by 3 different people that they were baffled why ford opted to use auto tranny fluid in this tranny and felt by using manual fluid should help..it only made sense
FWIW, back in the 70's I had a mustang with an optional close ratio top loader 4 speed (Borg Warner T5 if IRC) and it used auto tranny fluid too. The problem with it was that being an aluminum housing as the tranny got hot the synchronizer spacing would spread out and it would tend to eat synchronizer teeth ... not that I drove it hard enough to heat it up :D. I rebuilt the tranny at least 3 times in ~50K miles.

OK, I googled it and it probably wasn't a T5, not sure what it was in '76.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Ford will specify what Tremec has designed their transmissions to use. Here are the reasons from the Tremec engineers for the ATF:
Automatic transmission fluids provide the necessary protection and lubrication, while still allowing the synchronizer to function at its best. A hypoid gear oil by design does not allow mechanical surfaces to make contact with one another. A synchronizer relies on friction (much like your car's brakes) to do its job. Thus, gear oil in a synchronized transmission can be a bad combination, potentially causing a variety of shift issues. Furthermore, many gear oils contain sulfur additives that can damage friction materials. Synthetic fluid can contain powerful detergents and additives that can prove harmful to your transmission's synchronizers. While many synthetic fluids perform very well, in most cases, they are not recommend. Furthermore, they may void your warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited: