2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
I did a bit of track work today and that NLS just does not work as it should. A normal shift worked OK. Also the low speed lurch, buck and surge is unacceptable.

Lund tune on the way and if I have to revert to the stock TB I'll do it.

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
40K Miles on PP2 pack here. Still running great. Will be going to a aftermarket tune for a 18 IM and corn soon. This tune has been great though, no complaints.

bubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
The Power Packs are not Ford parts though. They are Ford Performance parts. They do not share warranties.
Yes I understand this, the gray area meaning how dealers view covering powertrain components when a FP PP has been installed. The way I look at it, there's a crap ton of other things more likely to break before having powertrain issues that adding the power pack won't have an effect on warranty wise. I remember reading many people having A/C issues for example.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello All,

First post here, I currently drive a 2017 Mustang GT with Roush Axlebacks and X-pipes and a Roush CAI (No Tune)

My question is this, and I did go through most of these posts... If I get the Roush Stage 1 Tune, will there be a way for the Extended Warranty company to void my entire engine warranty?

One of my friends at the local Ford dealership here told me that there is no way to "trace" the ecm for a tune, and that they didn't even have that kind of equipment at the dealership.

What are ya'lls thoughts on it and again many thanks for the add and the very informative post....

Also, the dealership told me that if I get the tune installed by the Ford Dealership by an ASE certified mechanic, that Ford would still honor the main 3yr/36k mile warranty as well...

Thanks!!!

-Pablo

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Hello All,

First post here, I currently drive a 2017 Mustang GT with Roush Axlebacks and X-pipes and a Roush CAI (No Tune)

My question is this, and I did go through most of these posts... If I get the Roush Stage 1 Tune, will there be a way for the Extended Warranty company to void my entire engine warranty?

One of my friends at the local Ford dealership here told me that there is no way to "trace" the ecm for a tune, and that they didn't even have that kind of equipment at the dealership.

What are ya'lls thoughts on it and again many thanks for the add and the very informative post....

Also, the dealership told me that if I get the tune installed by the Ford Dealership by an ASE certified mechanic, that Ford would still honor the main 3yr/36k mile warranty as well...

Thanks!!!

-Pablo
Ford has to honor it the remainder of the warranty so long as the mechanic is certified by ASE -- for a Ford -- not Roush -- tune -- I went ahead and did mine myself. Under the law, aftermarket parts/tunes do not legally void any warranties (though you may have to be willing to litigate, which is most likely stupid expensive -- I wonder if a club could be formed with some club lawyers who are Mustang fans for a group rate on litigating or at least letter-writing to dealerships --- ARE THERE ANY LAWYERS IN THE HOUSE? lol) due to Magnuson-Moss:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

So *technically* even though it's explicitly stated the warranty drops on the powertrain to 3/36 (down from 5/60 for powertrain) you are still covered irrespective of who does the work -- in fact, a good lawyer would be able to assert that you are better protected having done the work yourself: failing to accept the drop in warranty coverage by paying an ASE tech, your protection is deferred to the original warranty under Magnuson-Moss.

And this is why I went with a Ford tune: they are conservative, safe, and leverage every bit of engineering Ford has -- Roush (being a Ford partner) will likely be okay too -- but Roush wants to sell you their warranty. For as conservative as these tunes are, and as magnificent as the Coyote is, I don't think it's anything to sweat. I did call around all over the place to find someone to do it, as I didn't want the dealership to know about it -- then I gave in: I possess skill surplus to the needs of installing the tune, so I went for it. I have no regrets.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Hello All,

Thanks!!!

-Pablo
Some additional food for thought:

From a lawyer who seems to specialize in vehicle warranty claims:

http://lehtoslaw.com/will-modifications-void-new-car-warranty/

SEMA on an FTC ruling:

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

Your mileage may vary...

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
So the power train warranty drops to 3/36 for the entire power train or just the Ford tune?

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
So the power train warranty drops to 3/36 for the entire power train or just the Ford tune?
What Ford Performance wants you to believe is that the powertrain warranty drops. I suppose under certain prescribed conditions, it would. But if you install a Ford Performance - or other - aftermarket tune, and you blow your engine, the onus is on Ford to prove your tune caused it under the law. Dealerships lack the legal authority to void warranties. That’s what Magnuson-Moss says, how the FTC has ruled, etc.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Then I think I'll do likewise and install PP1 myself.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So would it be safe to say that i should be okay with the extended warranty and getting the tune installed at my dealership?

Either way, ive never had any issues with my engines on any of my cars that have had extended warranties on em...

But when i called the Extended Warranty people they seemed pretty firm on saying they would not cover the motor if i installed a tune on it... Thats why i was curious if it was easy for Ford to see if a tune has been installed...

Anyways, thanks!!

Edit 1: Also, are there any big differences between a Ford Tune and a Roush Tune? Or is it pretty much the same thing?

Also, my dealership offered me a Stage 2 Roush Supercharger kit for 8k, is that a good deal? :p

-Pablo

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just because Ford will honor a factory warranty with FRPP, it doesn't mean an extended warranty would. I'd really look through the fine print before making any kind of assumptions. I would be surprise if they would honor the warranty if "any" modifications were made. Of course the onus would be on them to prove that a FRPP caused the windshield wiper motor to fail, but it would be fairly easy to say that you screwed up the engine because of FRPP. Remember that it is not a judge/jury nitpick-the-snot-out-of-it case. It's probably a moderator and they are the judge and jury. It's an ASE Mechanic versus you. The extended warranty terms are what dictate what they cover - it does not mean that they have to honor Ford's warranty.

Remember that FRPP is part of Ford and Ford gets your money when you buy it, and when you have it installed. The "warranty" price is built into the cost (That's why it is so expensive for what it really is). Your extended warranty company doesn't get a dollar of that money.

Could Ford tell? Maybe. What if there is a simple flag to see how many times the computer was modified. Even if the tune was put back to stock, the number written would increment. If ford requires the dealer to document it (Almost guaranteed) then they would know what that number was. If it skipped digits, then either an indy dealer programmed it, or you did....but...Most indy dealers have to use special tools that probably reach out to Ford over the internet to grab whatever TSB/fix is required, so even then Ford would probably know about it. No I'm not a dealer tech, so this all could be hearsay but, remember that if a tune could access every single table, then you could illegally change the mileage and the emission readiness flags, which you most definitely cannot do...So there are tables that tuners cannot change.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you gotta pay to play. If Ford is going to give you the warranty, then it's highly unlikely that it's going to pop your motor, but if it does, well - you were the one that had it put on. If warranty is a big concern, I wouldn't touch anything that is in the warranty contract. If it's unclear, call them -- but be forewarned, even calling to ask got someone on here denied for getting sold the extended warranty, so even being an honest guy asking about it can raise red flags.

To each his own, but I didn't even change oil filters or oil brands (e.g. trying a non-certified-oil) on my new van until it was out of warranty. Now that it's out of warranty, I'm using non OEM oil filters, and oil which does not meet the Dodge MS-XXXX (Can't remember the number) certification. And my mustang was out of warranty a month after I bought it, so I started modding it right away. Ironically, I still prefer OEM oil filters though - they are usually better than aftermarket. I just got a great deal on some Mobil-1 oil filters (Cheaper than OEM) so that's why I bought them.

Not sure about the tunes.

If the dealer's price included install then I think it is a really good price. Otherwise, if it's just parts, I'd check with some of the vendors on here because I think they can do better than that.

Just remember, a lot of people hang their hat on the Moss-Magnuson act, but they don't look into it deep enough.

Directly from that link:
"While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

'While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.' " (Underlines and italics mine)

So the FTC says you can state that improper repair voids the warranty.

And... "The Act allows warranties to include a provision that requires customers to try to resolve warranty disputes by means of the informal dispute resolution mechanism before going to court. "

This is more than likely in the extended warranty contract. Although I read an article back in 1989 where the FTC said that a person could take it to court afterwards, and reek retribution for legal costs, you are going to spend a lot of time fighting it (And being without a car). This dude started the rebuttal process in 1987 and it wasn't solved in 1989...
Sponsored