Sponsored

1st time Mustang purchase: Opinions needed!

OP
OP
Trevolutionary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 6MT
So why wouldn't you choose a PP on the GT?
Mostly due to price. I'm trying to keep the OTD price below 35K. GT Premiums with PP are higher than that.

Why not both? Hahah. :headbang:

In all seriousness, if I didn't have a daily already, I would have went with the EB. I commute over 50 miles a day, sometimes in bad traffic, and I couldn't imagine doing it in my GT. My GT is almost the exact of what you want except mine is a base with M6, 3.55, the wheels, and reverse park assist. I love the car but the EB seems to be calling me for some reason. I'm honestly thinking of picking one up once my GT is paid off to use for a daily, if that tells you anything.

That's just my two cents but the reality is that it will come down to you and what you want from the car. I've seen plenty of EB owners "upgrade" to the GT but not much of the other way around. I'm sure more people will chime in but it's truly up to you. I think you'll be happy either way. In my mind, over 300 HP is plenty for a daily and it's pretty quick regardless. The EB really impresses me.

I personally think that resale value is very subjective. If gas shoots up to over $3 again in the coming years, GT's market value could very easily fall lower than the EB... Too many factors involved to really take this into account properly.

It seems like you've done a lot of research and everyone will give you an opinion but, as I said previously, it is ultimately up to you. You'll get what you want out of the car. Hopefully some EB owners can chime in as well to give some additional info. It does seem as though you're already leaning towards the GT though!

Cheers and good luck! Let us know what you decide. :cheers:
I see you St. Charles! Is there a "Mustangs of STL" forum? Any clubs in our area?

I also like how many more GT's are available over the EB counterpart with the options I want.

First of all, welcome! Look forward to having you in the forum, you seem to be well reasoned and thoughtful.

Second, it really sounds like you are leaning GT, but the practical side of you is nagging. The Ecoboost is a fine car, very quick and nimble. If it is that part that you value the most, then it may be the better choice for you. If you are worried about gas cost, the GT gets very good mileage at constant speed on the freeway, but it chows on gas when sitting still or nearly sitting still. You can probably expect something like 24MPG average for the EB, 18-19 for the GT.

For me, this was a one time purchase that I would not look back on (do not get a new car every couple of years) and it had to be GT. I am not sorry for that, have been averaging close to 20MPG and have had plenty of fun with it without being overtly stupid. :)

Without knowing your personal finances and everything, I think in the end you will either buy the GT and not look back, or buy the EB and start one of those "I upgraded to the GT" threads 6-8 months from now. Anyone that bought the EB in the first place who had that as their only or by far favorite choice is very happy with their decision and they should be. Anyone who is seriously debating the GT, but trying to justify and end up choosing the EB seem to always have GT envy. Answer the calling, just go with the GT. :)
No replacement for displacement seems to be the consensus.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trevolutionary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 6MT
If price isn't that much I would go for the GT. You are going to be getting almost the same MPG if you get the GT and use regular vs the EB and premium having to use 93...so overall cost with 15 gallons in the EB you'll be able to buy around 19 gallons in the GT...that ads up over time...so the EB savings isn't as great as you think. Literally just wrote about this a few hours ago here.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1095768&postcount=17

With all the modding you are talking about also on the EB, just go into the GT.

Also you have more CONS for the EB, so I think you answered your question.
That was a great read, thanks for the link. If I go GT, gas better stay cheap!:paddle:

If it skyrockets, then I'll just deal with it or buy a beater to drive to work every day.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
GT over everything else. This is an easy one.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

BKinn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That was a great read, thanks for the link. If I go GT, gas better stay cheap!:paddle:

If it skyrockets, then I'll just deal with it or buy a beater to drive to work every day.

This is pretty much what I did. I actually bought my GT first and a beater about a week later. A 99 CR-V AWD with almost 270K miles lol. Perfect for this Missouri weather.

Also I replied by PM to your other post. Nice to see another local!

Sponsored

scoobydoonut

Texas Mustang Crazy GIRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wendy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
GT---- I do a lot of highway driving I've got a Roush AB and resonator delete and a Lund 93 tune with N Gauge ,JLT CAI and I get 30 highway while driving somewhat nice . I've gotten 33 at best but honestly the GT gets great gas mileage .My GT is a MT and is NOT PP. I love this car however I did not buy it for gas mileage it's just sooo much fun to drive and yes the mods are great too

Last edited:

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
[MENTION=21501]Trevolutionary[/MENTION]

Man, you and I are kinda in the same boat. I really like the RS but cannot personally justify dropping 41k (ADM included) on a first year vehicle. I've been a member since late 2014 and am on here regularly.

I swear one day I wake up and tell myself to get an Ecoboost and I look up all of my mods and forum member's reviews on them and get really excited. Then all it takes is a "What did you do to your mustang today?" update and I see a picture of a Magnetic GT PP with Steeda Progressives, APR front splitter, and tint.. I'm sold. Not to mention it feels like someone is adding amazing exhausts to their GTs.

I just want my first mustang to be a memorable one. *Sigh*

If cost of living in the Bay Area wasn't so ridiculous, I wouldn't be so torn.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport

Think about it...if gas goes up and you went went the EB, you'd be paying even more...as it goes up sometimes premium costs go up even more then regular. For a while we had a .70 cent to .90 cent difference here in DC/NOVA in some parts. That's a lot of extra money for premium.

Personally I have no clue how the Audi/BMW owners dealt with that the last 3 years of crazy gas. $5.00 premium...ouch.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
GT---- I do a lot of highway driving I've got a Roush AB and resonator delete and a Lund tune with N Gauge ,JLT CAI and I get 30 highway while driving somewhat nice . I've gotten 33 at best but honestly the GT gets great gas mileage . I love this car however I did not buy it for gas mileage it's just sooo much fun to drive and yes the mods are great too
30 mpg? My PP car doesn't get anywhere close. Best I can get is about 24 cruising like a granny in 6th. Average in the city is 14-15 mpg.

Using 87 octane its not too bad as far as cost goes.

I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't be happy with an EB or V6 knowing there were GTs out there. The Coyote is a great engine (other than the fuel economy) and the engine is the heart of the car, so I say go for the GT. Out the door you can get down to about 37k with premium, nav, and PP. That's only 2k/5% more than your 35k and you can be pretty confident you won't have any regrets down the road (well, at least until you see your first GT350 in person).

Sponsored

Hawk296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT PP
Coming from Subarus for the past 14 years, I went GT. I wanted to get back into something RWD and wanted a domestic V8 (have previously owned rx7 and supra that were RWD)

I really do think you would be content with an ecoboost, and it will make a great auto X car, but then you are probably just going to mod it again and be back in the same boat as the GTI.

But for not much more $ having the GT which will check off most of the boxes from the start, turn key with warranty, it might be the way to go if you can afford it.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
It's not that I'm tired of seeing these threads, it's more that it's just irrational to ask random ppl on the internet this question. Spark notes: everyone will say GT. Sounds more like needing validation to me. Just get the GT if you're already scared of telling ppl what engine you have

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
GT...no turbos to worry about (Mazda's turbo seals started leaking and burning oil), no couplers or clamps to worry about, more necessary engine parts, have to worry about temps causing potential overboost or detonation. I always had the constant fear of throwing a rod.

Bought a v8, all my worries are gone. If I want to throw a S/C on there? I can keep the stock motor and internals. Sound? Much more amazing than a turbo 4. Don't even play that silly 4 banger game unless you are concerned about handling and gas mileage.

OP
OP
Trevolutionary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 6MT
[MENTION=21501]Trevolutionary[/MENTION]

Man, you and I are kinda in the same boat. I really like the RS but cannot personally justify dropping 41k (ADM included) on a first year vehicle. I've been a member since late 2014 and am on here regularly.

I swear one day I wake up and tell myself to get an Ecoboost and I look up all of my mods and forum member's reviews on them and get really excited. Then all it takes is a "What did you do to your mustang today?" update and I see a picture of a Magnetic GT PP with Steeda Progressives, APR front splitter, and tint.. I'm sold. Not to mention it feels like someone is adding amazing exhausts to their GTs.

I just want my first mustang to be a memorable one. *Sigh*

If cost of living in the Bay Area wasn't so ridiculous, I wouldn't be so torn.
I'm glad my experience matches up with some people on here. I keep hearing GT and for good reason, now that all of my thoughts are on paper it is the better route to take. I want to own my S550 for a long time, and maybe even make it a dedicated weekend car someday. When that day comes I'll be happy I went with the GT.

It's just weird that I actually think the EB is the "cooler" car. For whatever reason, the American Silvia has me intrigued.

I went into this post expecting a certain outcome, but I wanted people to hear my perspective and respond based on that. Good to know that despite this being a common theme, there are people on here willing to help me decide.

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
Get the GT. On this forum alone, we have already heard about several people getting the EB, only to trade up to the GT. You don't really hear much about anyone trading down from a GT to an EB or a 6cyl. That says a lot right there. The Coyote 5.0 is the best bang for the buck performance around. Or at least thats my humble opinion.
Sponsored