Sponsored

15-17 owners, what will make you trade for an '18?

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I would like the magnetic suspension, sure, but honestly? Ford's QC on my '15 has been relatively poor, and I've spent the past 18 months fixing things that definitively should not have needed fixing (rattles, body panels, and suspension alignment primarily).

I don't have a lot of faith that Ford has ironed things out, or is taking their "Quality is Job 1" mantra seriously.

I'll continue to drive and enjoy my 2015. When it comes time to trade or buy another car, I'll be taking a very close look at how Ford has actually done with regards to addressing basic assembly issues.
Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
I agree. I think the 2018 is the perfect upgrade for someone who doesn't plan on modding their car because you get things like active exhaust, mag ride, a power increase, nice wheel options. Would never work for me. As you could see after me owning the car for a few months, lol.
if you bought a mustang and don't plan on modding it, you bought the wrong car :doh:

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I have to say the update is growing on me quite a bit. On some colors, like white and the new orange it looks very nice. I got my '15 in November 2014, so this fall would be 3 years which is typically about the longest I tend to keep a car as I drive a ton of miles. Definitely going to give it some thought. Not sure if I would make the jump to a GT as great as it would be. Might be a bit cost prohibitive and I also commute 90 miles a day so like the extra milage I get with the ecoboost. Honestly it has plenty of power. Also wondering if they will upgrade the stock intercooler as that is garbage on the current ecoboost.

Will need to see how all the new features shake out price wise. Really want the new dash, hoping its just part of the premium package and not another add on. Also want the new interior fabrics, not sure if those are standard, will be part of premium package or a premium trim level. Hope they have some new seat colors. I can see either a white or orange ecoboost, premium auto with maybe PP and call it a day. That would hold me over until the new generation comes out.

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
If they added the glass roof and a hud, I would consider trading my 15.

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
If they added the glass roof and a hud, I would consider trading my 15.
HUD is one thing that is sorely missing. I really thought they were finally going to compete with Chevy on that front.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The S650...
But only if the car is shorter and lighter with improved front end design and the availability of a NA V8.

Aesthetically, the nose of this car (and IMHO-the S550) is too long.
I understand the aerodynamics/lift benefits of a longer front end for high speed track use, but really, how many owners compete at this level?
And for the folks who do, there are numerous full race ground affects available...and the GT350.

The platform needs to loose weight...as much as possible without compromising safety/structural integrity while still ensuring efficient, cost-effective production methods and affordable consumer purchase prices.
I wonder how much weight has been added for 2018?

Most importantly for me, the front styling needs to advance into a more cohesive and less derivative design language that still expresses "Mustang"
Of equal importance is the availability of a NA V8 of at least 4.6-4.7L.

If my prediction of an S650-based GT500 with all of the above mentioned details falls into place, then Ford will definitely take my money.

We shall see...

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The S650...
But only if the car is shorter and lighter with improved front end design and the availability of a NA V8.

Aesthetically, the nose of this car (and IMHO-the S550) is too long.
I understand the aerodynamics/lift benefits of a longer front end for high speed track use, but really, how many owners compete at this level?
And for the folks who do, there are numerous full race ground affects available...and the GT350.

The platform needs to loose weight...as much as possible without compromising safety/structural integrity structural while still ensuring efficient, cost-effective production methods and affordable consumer purchase prices.
I wonder how much weight has been added for 2018?

Most importantly for me, the front styling needs to advance into a more cohesive and less derivative design language that still expresses "Mustang"
Of equal importance is the availability of a NA V8 of at least 4.6-4.7L.

If my prediction of an S650-based GT500 with all of the above mentioned details falls into place, then Ford will definitely take my money.

We shall see...
I would like to see the things you are saying in the S650 as well. Smaller, less weight, and a kick butt, high RPM NA V8 with a manual transmission. The main thing is the engine/drive train for me. If the V8 goes away I'm not going to buy. If it's a V8 with turbos, the car's performance will have to be far and away better than the V8 I currently have for me to be interested. Any other type of drive train and I'm unlikely to buy. I'm not really into superchargers or 4/6 cylinder engines.

I'm not as concerned about styling, though. I think the current and 2018 designs are fine, but not as good as previous designs. I bought the car for the other features, not the exterior design.

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Trade in value on mine would have to be really, really good. And even then I'd be pulling my exhaust, GT350R steering wheel and other mods I've installed off my '16. In reality I'd be losing about $8k trading in a '16 for an '18...

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Sorry all, I did not answer the thread's question.
Nothing about the "18 would make me trade in the '16.
I think all of the mechanical, tech and interior upgrades are great, especially the 10 speed auto and active quad exhaust.
Just can't get with the new "face"
A S650 based GT500 as described above would really be the only thing to make me trade-in the '16.
Thanks.

Sponsored

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I want to see the Mustang lose some weight. If it dropped a couple hundred pounds, I would trade.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
The Magna ride alone is tempting to make the trade.
However, if I do trade, I'm most definitely getting a GT350

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
If the s650 doesn't come in a manual trans then i'll trade my 15 v6 for a 18-19 gt.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Makes no sense unless you have $ to burn for no reason.

The big re-design will be in only 2 model years, why lose $5-10k now trading in now? Sounds like a poor financial choice.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Getting back in the saddle again

After trading in my beloved 2005 Ford Mustang GT I am considering buying a 2018 Ford Mustang GT when fall rolls around. Kind of still thinking that being an early adopter to new tech is not always good (always purchase the 3rd or 4th gen after they work out all the bugs). But the 2018 has a lot to offer a buyer who is going back to the Mustang. Have to test drive one and then crunch the numbers, heck maybe I buy a 2017 GT Premium PP lighting blue right off the lot.

:ford:
Sponsored