10r80 Trans issues

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have a 2019 Mustang GT 10r80 about 30k miles. Had the converter replaced about 2-3k miles ago. Ever since I got it back from the dealer it has been making these noises. In my opinion it sounds like some bearings or the trans fluid pump. Only does it when it’s cold on a cold start. I would love your guys opinion to get this diagnosed. Thanks
Listen closely with the first video
Also it lacks to engage to reverse when the trans is up to temp 170°+

Sponsored

Last edited:

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Sounds like my old 98 Mustang (in more ways than one!!)

I am not an expert. But that whining noise sounds a lot like when the my 98 was burning trans fluid. When I topped it off that noise went away. Not saying yours is burning fluid - but I am saying it may be very low.

I see snow in the background - how the hell did you get the trans up to temperature? In this 20-30 degree weather it takes a long time of hard driving to get mine up to temp

OP
OP
Hydra5.0

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sounds like my old 98 Mustang (in more ways than one!!)

I am not an expert. But that whining noise sounds a lot like when the my 98 was burning trans fluid. When I topped it off that noise went away. Not saying yours is burning fluid - but I am saying it may be very low.

I see snow in the background - how the hell did you get the trans up to temperature? In this 20-30 degree weather it takes a long time of hard driving to get mine up to temp
Maybe it is low? Could be a possibility. I’ll have to check it soon. I do a lot of driving. It does take a while to reach that. Did it ever since the converter was replaced.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it's lacking to engage in reverse or is very clunky - it could be 1 of 2 things:

- Low on fluid if last service visit didn't fill when trans was at normal op temps

- Valve body malfunction.

I would schedule it for another appointment and keep your videos to prove to the Service Writer your concerns and the fact it does it on a cold start.
Sponsored