Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Good luck, I hope it works itself out.
I'm not worried about it, I'm going to go drive it and enjoy it. Worst case its a little rough in 2500 miles and I have it serviced under warranty. Although after driving it again today its continuing to get better, can hardly feel in shift in normal mode.
Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I'm not worried about it, I'm going to go drive it and enjoy it. Worst case its a little rough in 2500 miles and I have it serviced under warranty. Although after driving it again today its continuing to get better, can hardly feel in shift in normal mode.
Are you noticing a lot of difference between when the transmission is cold versus when it's warm, especially in Sport/Sport+ mode? On mine, if there's a difference I'm not noticing it. I can drive away after the normal warm-up and it shifts the same as when I've been driving for 30 minutes.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Are you noticing a lot of difference between when the transmission is cold versus when it's warm, especially in Sport/Sport+ mode? On mine, if there's a difference I'm not noticing it. I can drive away after the normal warm-up and it shifts the same as when I've been driving for 30 minutes.
So, I've researched a little how the clutches operate in the 10r80 and because of its complexity its highly reliant on the correct amount and correct viscosity fluid. Long story short, yes I notice a difference after 30 minutes of driving. As the temperature rises the viscosity of the fluid changes slightly and will react better with the clutch pack. I'm sure you've noticed that when the transmission is cold it will hold gears longer and take longer/harsher shifts. This is because the viscosity is not quite where it needs to be yet. So when at its optimum temperature range and the viscosity is perfect the transmission will shift the quickest and smoothest.

I do notice a large difference from cold to warm in both sport and drive, but I never drive in sport until the car is properly warmed up(just a habit). However, my GT is brand new (1250 miles) and still very much in its learn phase(according to reputable ford mechanic). I would imagine that as the transmission learns and adapts the difference in feel between hot and cold would become smaller.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So, I've researched a little how the clutches operate in the 10r80 and because of its complexity its highly reliant on the correct amount and correct viscosity fluid. Long story short, yes I notice a difference after 30 minutes of driving. As the temperature rises the viscosity of the fluid changes slightly and will react better with the clutch pack. I'm sure you've noticed that when the transmission is cold it will hold gears longer and take longer/harsher shifts. This is because the viscosity is not quite where it needs to be yet. So when at its optimum temperature range and the viscosity is perfect the transmission will shift the quickest and smoothest.

I do notice a large difference from cold to warm in both sport and drive, but I never drive in sport until the car is properly warmed up(just a habit). However, my GT is brand new (1250 miles) and still very much in its learn phase(according to reputable ford mechanic). I would imagine that as the transmission learns and adapts the difference in feel between hot and cold would become smaller.
One of these days I'll need to pay really close attention to shifting when cold versus when warm. Because just casually, I don't notice a difference.

rcwilli7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey all, I'm new to this forum but I just upgraded my 16 V6 for a 23 GT. I had my break in oil change at 1000 miles yesterday and had been reading about the oddity that is the 10r80 trans. I had been experiencing very jerky and harsh downshifts even after 750 miles(I know still early for the adaptive part to learn how to shift). So, I had the dealer check the transmission fluid level while in and they pulled me into the shop so I could see the dip stick. It was right where it is supposed to be. The mechanic (my dealers master tech and dailys a 2020 GT) told me he didn't have those buttery smooth shifts until 2500 ish miles. However, he did recognize that sometimes the transmissions come low on fluid form the factory, just poor quality control on fords part. He told me to go out and drive it like I wanted it to shift, he said after one or two good hard drives you should start to see a difference. Now at 1150 miles I can say there is a good improvement, especially on the downshifts. Still not where it should be as far as smoothness, but I can notice its getting better every time I drive it. Since the mechanic told me the low fluid still happens even with the 22 and 23 MYs I think it's still good to have them check it at your break in service, especially since it IS covered under warranty(If a dealer says its not, find a new dealer). I hope this helps y'all a bit, but every car is different.
The transmission learns your driving style and will fix itself. After I was tuned by Lund it shifted even better than stock.

Sponsored

CCIWDO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Well. Long over due update. Got the car back. I attached the Repair order but its just a list of parts used. If anyone on here is savvy with that let me know what they actually did. Problem is....Drives the same. Good news is that ford reimbursed me for my rental. I may just keep the car the way it is and buy a used gt350. Im about done with this 10R80

Attachments

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special

Jack,

I definitely notice a difference drive-ability wise when the transmission is cold versus warm, and I am at 1800 miles on my 2023. My previous 2020 GT was the same, but I had different issues with it. For instance, on my 2020, it would hang in 1st gear, jerky / bucking from R to D, and the 4 to 5 shift was harsh. With my 2023, I sometimes get harsh downshifts when coming to a complete stop. It feels like I am getting rear ended. Also, there are some firm upshifts in Sport Mode+, but not too bad. Once the car has been driven for about 10 to 15 minutes, it all goes away. Plus, there are days when none of these symptoms show up and it drives fine????
If the fluid level is fine, there has to be something FORD could do programming wise to offset when the car is cold versus warm. Or, at least put out a statement letting customers know of this type of behavior with the transmission.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Well. Long over due update. Got the car back. I attached the Repair order but its just a list of parts used. If anyone on here is savvy with that let me know what they actually did. Problem is....Drives the same. Good news is that ford reimbursed me for my rental. I may just keep the car the way it is and buy a used gt350. Im about done with this 10R80
Jimmy,

Looks like they corrected your fluid level and gave you a new valve body. Give it a 1,000 to 2,000 miles. You may notice a drastic improvement as you drive it more. If it does not improve, there may be other damage they did not catch or see due to having low fluid from the factory.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Jack,

I definitely notice a difference drive-ability wise when the transmission is cold versus warm, and I am at 1800 miles on my 2023. My previous 2020 GT was the same, but I had different issues with it. For instance, on my 2020, it would hang in 1st gear, jerky / bucking from R to D, and the 4 to 5 shift was harsh. With my 2023, I sometimes get harsh downshifts when coming to a complete stop. It feels like I am getting rear ended. Also, there are some firm upshifts in Sport Mode+, but not too bad. Once the car has been driven for about 10 to 15 minutes, it all goes away. Plus, there are days when none of these symptoms show up and it drives fine????
If the fluid level is fine, there has to be something FORD could do programming wise to offset when the car is cold versus warm. Or, at least put out a statement letting customers know of this type of behavior with the transmission.
You’re right, but if Ford put out a statement that would make it too easy lol.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to make an update!

I just returned from the Amelia Island Concourse D'Elegance and it was about a 450 mile trip for me each way. I can say very confidently the transmission is buttery smooth in drive. In sport mode you can feel the shifts but nothing is harsh or feels like getting rear ended. Honestly, it feels pretty good. That being said when the transmission is cold the shifts are a bit slower, but not harsh and is normal.

Also I've done a bit more research for those who still have clunky shifts. The way the torque converter works on this transmission is it engages from stop into first gear. Then, opens and engages into second gear. You will feel it engage and disengage every time during those shifts, hot or cold. Then from 2 through the rest of the gears, if you are accelerating beyond half throttle and above 3500ish rpms, the torque converter will not disengage. The 6 clutches in this transmission then work seamlessly to shift between the gears. That being said, if you are just easing onto the throttle or low rpms the shift will disengage the torque converter to preserve the clutches better. You will feel it whenever the torque converter moves. The downshifts work the same way from 10-4, then from 3-1 the torque converter will do its thing.

Another note, 2 of the 6 clutches are brake clutches. These are designed to help slow you down using the transmission. Like any clutch, these take time to break in and become seamless and smooth. Give it 2000 miles ish before you can expect these to be properly broken in. The same principle applies to the other clutches, but not as significant.

Final note, this transmission is smart, very smart. It tries to guess what you are going to do next before you actually do it. Most of the time it will get it right, but sometimes it will get it wrong and the correction it will make will most likely be harsh.

Again this is based off of my experience with the car and every car will behave differently, but should not be too far off from this. I hope this helps you all!

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I was under mine last week and thought I would check the trans fluid level and found it impossible to get a wrench on that silly "dip stick". So, since my 10R80 is working fine I moved on and didn't check it. Any advice on getting that thing out?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I was under mine last week and thought I would check the trans fluid level and found it impossible to get a wrench on that silly "dip stick". So, since my 10R80 is working fine I moved on and didn't check it. Any advice on getting that thing out?
There’s links back on the first post in this thread from Cobra Jet that should help you out

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I have amazing news.

I take back most of the bad things I have said about the 10R80 over the last year and a half of owning this car.
Without a doubt, the 10R80 is the worst transmission I have ever used.
I just had the Ecoboost FP tune installed and it has completely transformed the behavior of the transmission. No more wonky hunting for shifts and no more harsh downshift (when coming to a stop the 3-1 shift felt like I was getting kicked in the back!) I have only had it on for 24 hours and its already more predictable and smooth than the stock tune. Which begs the question, why is the stock transmission tune so bad? Its a night and day difference.

I am very happy now.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
I was hoping the FP tune would fix your tranny shifting issues.

BD

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone on here is savvy with that let me know what they actually did. Problem is....Drives the same.
Wow. The replaced a lot of components, But failed to look at the valve body. That's why it drives the same.
Sponsored