Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
If I recall correctly on my 2013 2SS Camaro, I believe they changed the transmission fluid around 25 to 30,000 miles.
According to official mustang service intervals the Transmission fluid does not appear in any of the milestones from 0 miles to 100k.

This 10 speed is very very different from any other transmission you've likely had and uses the ultra low viscosity fluid. I am not surprised to see no change intervals because of the complexity and efficiency of it. I would also not even think to touch it until 75k miles.

Also changing fluid is useless unless you start to have major problems. Changing fluid won't change any feeling or prevent wear. Trans fluid doesn't go bad slowly, you tend to burn it. So as long if you haven't trashed your trans it should be good to at least 75k!
Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
@njweatherman I just asked my ford engineer contact, the official service for a fluid change for the 10R80 equipped mustangs is 150k miles. Yes 150k šŸ˜‚ I will more than likely send mine in at 75-100k. Since I track mine I always change things early!

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Compared to a trans rebuild/replacement fluid is cheap so mine will get replaced at 50K. Gm back in the late 90s/early 2000s stated every 15k for trans fluids at Cadillac service school.

BD

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I would (technically have) change mine well before that 150k mark.

With all of my problems, they opened my trans up and replaced part of the valve body (updated some parts) and told me that they had to do a full flush because there was more debris than normal in the trans. After they replaced the parts and fluid it did shift better, though, not as good as I would like.

After getting the FP tune the trans become actually pretty good.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I would (technically have) change mine well before that 150k mark.

With all of my problems, they opened my trans up and replaced part of the valve body (updated some parts) and told me that they had to do a full flush because there was more debris than normal in the trans. After they replaced the parts and fluid it did shift better, though, not as good as I would like.

After getting the FP tune the trans become actually pretty good.
The FP tune also includes a trans tune along with the engine tune and with the trans having an adaptive strategy logic it will take a few hundred miles for it to learn your driving habits. I have had the FP tune in mine now for a little over 10k miles now and I can say it shifts just the way I feel it should depending on the mode I have selected and how it is being driven at the time.

BD

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
@njweatherman I just asked my ford engineer contact, the official service for a fluid change for the 10R80 equipped mustangs is 150k miles. Yes 150k šŸ˜‚ I will more than likely send mine in at 75-100k. Since I track mine I always change things early!
I was hoping it was changed at 25k:( Thanks for finding out.

mag_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I just made a pretty crazy discovery on the 10r80 valve body. I have 2 DTC codes, P0741 and P1744 and there is a TSB for these specific two code and they say replace the valve body. I was just about to order the valve body when I got a little curious and decided to separate the two pieces of the valve body and that is where I saw it, the thing I would have never expected to see. That little piece was not allowing the valve to open and close and I have no idea where that came from and I know for a fact that little piece does not belong there. I will be putting the valve body back in tomorrow to see if that was the issue all along.

IMG_5888.jpg
IMG_5889.jpg

Last edited:

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Looks like a deformed security bolt head. Is it metallic? Any visible damage in that chamber?

mag_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Looks like a deformed security bolt head. Is it metallic? Any visible damage in that chamber?
It is metallic, when I took it out it was sticking to the pick tool I used to take it out. No visible damage to the chamber other than a little marring on the valve itself where that little piece got stuck but it doesn't look significant enough to cause an issue.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Looks more like a roll pin used for lining up the two machined halves of the valve body to ensure they are aligned correctly. It may have fell out on first assembly of the valve body halves and took time before it got mangled enough by the valve moving to actually fall into the path of the valve and stop it from moving. Or was extra that was accidently dropped in valve body during assembly at factory.

I would make sure there is no missing roll pin used for lining up the valve body halves missing from case or valve body.

BD

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What does it look like once removed from the valve body? Itā€™s possible it is a roll pin but hard to tell as it sits in that image.

Crazy that debris like that is floating around in thereā€¦

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yea we need to see a pic of it once it is removed to make a more informed call.

BD

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
So just had my car in today for the works and told them I still had some harsh shifts in sport mode etc. Tech test drove and noted 3-4 and 4-5 were harsh which is spot on. Car is going in in a couple of weeks for a new valve body.

So hopefully that fixes it. It isnā€™t terrible but it sure could use some improvements.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
So just had my car in today for the works and told them I still had some harsh shifts in sport mode etc. Tech test drove and noted 3-4 and 4-5 were harsh which is spot on. Car is going in in a couple of weeks for a new valve body.

So hopefully that fixes it. It isnā€™t terrible but it sure could use some improvements.
Cam,
Please let us know how long of a job it is to replace the valve body?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Cam,
Please let us know how long of a job it is to replace the valve body?
I was told they would need the car for 2 days only which seemed reasonable to me. Iā€™ll report back on how it turns out and the duration of the actual repair.
Sponsored