10-Speed Automatic Transmission (10R80)

GrabberBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 5.0 10r80
Please chime-in if you have a 10-speed automatic or have direct knowledge about this issue. Any "whining" sounds? Low, moderate, loud? My brand-new 2023 has this "whining" sound at a moderate level. Sound is there in the morning, afternoon, evening, etc. Cold start, warm start, etc. Most noticeable in the lower gears. What do you know? What did you do? There is no way that this should be considered "normal"...

Transmission.jpg
Mines done it since day 1. It’s whiny, shifts fast as fuck and it’s rough at times. I love it.
Sponsored

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
It's the trans pump It's normal for this transmission, some whine louder then others. If it's extremely loud they can replace the pump.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30

Joker721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
01 Bullitt DHG, 2020 Camry WCP TRD
Mine does that as well. Seems like normal operation

Sponsored

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Please chime-in if you have a 10-speed automatic or have direct knowledge about this issue. Any "whining" sounds? Low, moderate, loud? My brand-new 2023 has this "whining" sound at a moderate level. Sound is there in the morning, afternoon, evening, etc. Cold start, warm start, etc. Most noticeable in the lower gears. What do you know? What did you do? There is no way that this should be considered "normal"...

Transmission.jpg
Mine had a whining which was bad in sports mode. They said it was fine. After I had a performance tune done the whining stopped and the trans shift is a lot smoother.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
At low speeds in neighborhoods I'll hear a whirring noise. It's pretty loud, but doesn't seem to affect anything. I'm planning on putting it on the lift and checking fluid to see if it's low, but honestly it sounds like it may just be due to such low miles. Mine is still less than 1000 miles so probably not quite broken in yet.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's normal and is due to the cut of the gears. If the car is brand new give it at least a solid 3k miles and as the gears wear, the whine noise will start to subside.

Sean22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Thank goodness my 2021 gt convertble does not whine yet I just hope it doesn’t happen it only has 4300 miles I do have a slight whine I steer wheel in reverse only when warm ! Again Ford says it’s normal!!! . ?
Better find a piece of wood to knock on! 😄

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Hi John,

We spoke about this together on our local mustang club facebook page recently. I'll chime in with my experience here on this forum as well.

It's normal and is due to the cut of the gears. If the car is brand new give it at least a solid 3k miles and as the gears wear, the whine noise will start to subside.
I have a 2018 GT and my original transmission with 50K miles did not whine. I had the original defective transmission replaced under warranty with a new one from Ford and the whine is now present. I have less than 2K miles on the new trans, so I'll keep my ear out for any changes.

I don't mind the whine if it's truly normal operation and will not cause any issues or harm to the trans. My buddy even says it sounds a little bit like a supercharger and likes it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
John2023GT

John2023GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 10-Speed Automatic
Hi John,

We spoke about this together on our local mustang club facebook page recently. I'll chime in with my experience here on this forum as well.

I have a 2018 GT and my original transmission with 50K miles did not whine. I had the original defective transmission replaced under warranty with a new one from Ford and the whine is now present. I have less than 2K miles on the new trans, so I'll keep my ear out for any changes.

I don't mind the whine if it's truly normal operation and will not cause any issues or harm to the trans. My buddy even says it sounds a little bit like a supercharger and likes it.
Thank you so much for your response!

Mels21GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have a 2021 GT and hear the same whine noise when pulling into my apartment. Not loud, but can here it as it echoes when I pull in.

I also had a 2018 Ecoboost 10spd that had the same noise. I thought it had something to do with the turbo so never really bothered as the car drove fine but then noticed the same noise after picking up the GT.

OP
OP
John2023GT

John2023GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 10-Speed Automatic
I have a 2021 GT and hear the same whine noise when pulling into my apartment. Not loud, but can here it as it echoes when I pull in.

I also had a 2018 Ecoboost 10spd that had the same noise. I thought it had something to do with the turbo so never really bothered as the car drove fine but then noticed the same noise after picking up the GT.
Thanks for your response!

Would you say that the whining from the GT is low, moderate or loud? Mine sounds like a supercharger, which I actually do not like! Annoying as heck!

Thanks!

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Thanks for your response!

Would you say that the whining from the GT is low, moderate or loud? Mine sounds like a supercharger, which I actually do not like! Annoying as heck!

Thanks!
My sounded damn near exactly like a supercharger whine until my most recent service at Ford. It wasn't in for anything related to the transmission, but the tech must have noticed it was low during the test drive. Since I picked it up it has shifted 100% better and the whine is now almost completely gone. I can only assume it was either low on fluid or the tech updated something in the control modules. Either way its now gone or 99% diminished.

Prior to this service it was loud enough at low speeds (less than 30mph) that you could hear it coming down the street from 60yds away. I had several neighbors ask about the supercharger.
Sponsored