Sponsored

1/2 impact wrench socket question

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Recently picked up a half inch dewalt impact wrench. (intended use for lug nut removal on wheels)

Is it safe to use regular sockets, or do I need to use impact sockets?

I'd think impact sockets would be the way to go just to be safe.

Anyone ever shatter a regular socket using a impact gun?
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Please for your safety don’t use regular sockets. I’m dead serious. Get impact sockets. It’s the momentary shock of each impact that the tool imparts on the socket that does the most damage. As impact sockets have a thicker wall materials to withstand the vibrations.

Edit: No I’ve never shattered a regular socket on an impact because I already know the Consequences (potentials to create flying projectiles of shrapnel or you’ll end up damaging the wheel it’s itself) Just like I know you shouldn’t trust you life to Chinese pop metal like HF jack stands for example.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
You should use the lowest setting and use one of the sockets below. (impact quality)
bonus: they protect the wheel lug barrier
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XVCS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would anyone disagree with me?
Stay Away from the low-end Chinese sets. There’s something you just don’t buy cheap. Sets like these, Sockets wear out quickly and You’ll end up long terms with longevity issues leading to strip bolt eventually. likewise, you can use the highest setting for removal & use the lowest setting to put the lugs back on following using a torque wrench set to your recommend torque spec.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I've had to use a non impact socket in a pinch. Do not recommend. I have had one split (not shatter or explode, just split down the side)

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Stay Away from the low-end Chinese sets. There’s something you just don’t buy cheap. Sets like these, Sockets wear out quickly and You’ll end up long terms with longevity issues leading to strip bolt eventually. likewise, you can use the highest setting for removal & use the lowest setting to put the lugs back on following using a torque wrench set to your recommend torque spec.
Can you post what you'd recommend? OP and the rest of the party, would be interested to hear what you trust.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Can you post what you'd recommend? OP and the rest of the party, would be interested to hear what you trust.
The reason also why I’m so adamant about all this is #1 safety. #2 I use an air gun mainly which is spinning higher RPMs that a lot of the battery pack impacts. Regardless for both you have to be aware that some of the cheap impact socket sets come incomplete with gaps between sizes. Be sure to always read the packaging for a listing of all sizes included too. I have 3 sets. As with most tools, one is none. I recommend SnapOn. But I’m
Hard on my tool sets. If you’re a causal user and are seldom using these as for your tire rotation or to get behind the wheel for something then I’d recommend https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-2-Inch-Master-Impact-17-Piece/dp/B07KQWNKS7/?tag=aquaequipment-20.

edit: another option would be just to pick up the mm (1) socket that you need if all you’re doing is tires. Armstrong, SK, Matco, MAC are all good to options too.

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I carry an impact wrench and impact socket (and impact extender) but at home if I am not lazy and only removing 1 or 2 wheels I usually use a 2' breaker bar. The 75 pound pull is not too bad and it is probably easier on the lug nuts.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I build electrical distribution systems for a living and we have been using Tekton Impact Sockets for the last few years and found they are of excellent quality and the sockets meet or exceed ANSI standards.
https://www.tekton.com/impact-drive-sockets

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White '18 GT350
I've had one break and yes I knew better but rationalized it away by always saying, it's never been a problem.

Now I won't anymore. As for tools, it's almost akin to asking what oil to run. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone thinks everyone else is wrong. Get the best you can afford.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Unfortunately these days, nearly every tool seller sources stuff from Asia, where often quality is job #2. I know that Snap-on made their own stuff in their own factories domestically, but who knows, that may have changed by now. I stick with the name brands who warrant their stuff for life. It doesn't mean that it won't break, but I think the odds are in your favor versus the $9.99 special at Harbor Freight.

Two things you never go cheap on: tires and tools. OK, and brakes. So that's three things.

And good gasoline.

Four.

And of course, shoes. You must have good shoes, but now we're deviating from the car thing.

And don't forget to floss.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately these days, nearly every tool seller sources stuff from Asia, where often quality is job #2. I know that Snap-on made their own stuff in their own factories domestically, but who knows, that may have changed by now. I stick with the name brands who warrant their stuff for life. It doesn't mean that it won't break, but I think the odds are in your favor versus the $9.99 special at Harbor Freight.
There’s more than you think. Problem is few people really care as long as it works. A lot of your name brand ones do indeed outsource. Outside of several, most of the USA branded ones now are small operations but have been around for years and years. As I stated in an upper post, several that do indeed make USA made impact sockets. Of which SnapOn does. But I agree with you about reputation and warranty. Never steers anyone wrong ! :)

Always wear sunscreen.
sunscreen? Who needs that’s stuff. Loose women, whiskey, and cigs will kill you faster than dying from skin cancer.
Sponsored