Sponsored

04 Grand Cherokee oil sending unit going out?

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Alright so I bought a old 04 grand cherokee around a month ago so I can keep from taking the GT out in the crap.

On the way home from getting groceries I was sitting at an intersection and the oil pressure gauge started going crazy, waving wildly from low to high while the CHECK GAGES light and alarm kept going off. Everything else ran fine, RPMs stayed steady around 650 and the Jeep was smooth. Any thoughts?

4.7L V8

EDIT: And if it is, is this the part I need http://www.autozone.com/external-en.../2004/8-cylinders-n-4-7l-sfi/715966_652058_0/ ?
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I had the same exact symptoms with my 2000 4.7 JGC. That looks just like the sending unit I put in my Jeep. There is not much room between the oil filter and block. The most difficult job was to unhook the connector. There most likely is a youtube video on how to unlock the connector.

OP
OP

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I had the same exact symptoms with my 2000 4.7 JGC. That looks just like the sending unit I put in my Jeep. There is not much room between the oil filter and block. The most difficult job was to unhook the connector. There most likely is a youtube video on how to unlock the connector.

This issue is on the back burner for me now seeing as I keep getting a cylinder #2 misfire code even after replacing the ignition coil twice and the spark plug. :|

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
You may have a dirty #2 fuel injector. Try putting a couple bottles of carb/fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. I put a bottle of isoprople alcohol in the gas tank every month to take care of the water in the gas tank. I have 242000 miles on my GC and it runs like new.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
My 4.7HO has the same issue with a faulty oil pressure sending unit (they all break, apparently). From what I've read, many recommend buying the actual MOPAR part in this instance, as sometimes the 3rd party sensors have failures from the start. Easiest way to tell if it's bad is to just turn the ignition to accessory and if you see your oil pressure spike to about 3/4 the way (mine stays here and never moves), it's definitely bad.

Also, it looks like it's kind of a PITA to replace with the oil filter in place, so maybe wait until your next oil change to swap it out.

How are your blend doors and recirc door doing?

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
As I remember, I did remove the oil filter and change the oil because my gauge indicated I had no oil pressure. Once I had the filter off and connector off, I used a deep socket to unscrew the sending unit. I have put 60000 miles on my JGC after the sending was replaced.

OP
OP

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Where oh where has the OP of this thread gone ?
Was dealing with a recurring cylinder misfire code. Replaced the coil, plug, etc. Mechanic friend thought it might have a blown headgasket. I did a pressure test and it passed. Replaced the fuel injector Saturday, we'll see if it finally fixes it.

OP
OP

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Keep us posted on how it performs. The 4.7 is a fabulous engine.
Been three days and so far so good. Debating if I should replace the other 7 injectors or not, especially seeing as the opening on the top was significantly wider than the old original ones.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
So the check engine light comes back on. Did you put any isopropyl alcohol in your gas tank ? I put the cheapest gas in my Jeep gas tank. The cheap gas can have some water in it from condensation. As a result, I may see my check engine light come on after a tank refill. I just add two to three bottles of isopropyl alcohol to the gas tank. Five or less miles of driving and the check engine light is gone.

OP
OP

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Seafoam spray right into the throttle body while running around 2000rpm for around 5 minutes. So far so good. Getting much better mpg too.
Sponsored