Sponsored

Possibility of 2019 redesigned GT350/R with FPC?

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Well, it's been brought up.. so let's talk about it more. Makes sense for Ford to continue the FPC and not drop it after such a small run, the engine has had so much success and fanfare that it has to continue on.. and it's already been discussed that it will not go well with a power adder ("GT500"), so I think there's a chance for a 2019 redesigned GT350.

That being said, I have my R, and I love the current body style more than any other modern designed Mustang, and I'm not convinced I'm going to like the lines of the 2019. But with upped performance and the "may grow on me" factor, anything is possible.

Sure this is purely speculative, but relevant. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Honestly it wouldn't make much sense to me, and here's why I think that.

We never saw the GT350 receive the updated bodystyle for 2018; why continue with the current style for 2018 and then all of a sudden change the bodystyle and update the engine for only the last 2 model years (if it continues for all of S550 production), and if it didn't continue for the last 2 model years, why update the body/powertrain for only a single model year?

Production run of 2017/2018 doesn't add up. 2017 saw great production number increases when demand was hot and everyone was chomping at the bit to get one. Production has already been slated to be drastically reduced for 2018. If it were going to continue, I think we would have seen more typical and equal production numbers for 2017 and 2018. Limit the amount for the last model year, you keep demand high enough that people still buy every one built, but you also let people know something else is in the works so others who may be considering another car may hold off or wait for the "next big thing".

I think if it were going to continue until the end of the S550, then we would have seen the 350 being updated in 2018, and have the upgraded powertrain and new styling for 18, 19 and 20 for half of the life cycle, with the original taking place in 15, 16, and 17.

I think they might do another FPC in the future, who knows, but it won't be the Voodoo.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Yea I agree, if we were going to see a GT350 v.2 it would've been lumped in with the $$$ spent pushing the 2018s overall. Kind of like when Ford intro'ed the 2010 GT500 , then also went to an aluminum block 5.4 in 2011 when the GT received the Coyote for upgrades across the board... Ford doesn't need to touch the GT350 and they know it. ::cough:: a 1LE ZL1 already... ::cough::

Not to say I don't think it was in the plans back in 2013/2014 when planning the cars, I think they remained agile, saw the $70-80k+ stang needed more work and made the adjustments pragmatically. Just a business being a business.

OP
OP
MustangGT350

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Well, with the Raptor they waited 2 model years to do a redesign (no Raptor in 2015 and 2016) while they pumped out new F150's.. and they lost out on a lot of sales as demand for the Raptor was through the roof (Used ones with 30K miles were still selling for MSRP in places). Wouldn't it have been smart business to continue on with the Gen 1 Raptor production until they could get the Gen 2 Raptor ready for release while still selling the new design F150's?

The GT350 is already a uniquely designed vehicle on a specialty line with a already different front end than both the 2017 GT or 2018 GT, so I would think it was easy for ford to continue on in 2018 as they are while potentially finalizing the 2019 GT350 design. Building on the GT350 platform makes good sense as it's received worldwide acclaim for it's track ability. A few improvements here and there, slightly more HP, and a new front end and voila- the continuation of their flagship track car.

Last edited:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Well, with the Raptor they waited 2 model years to do a redesign (no Raptor in 2015 and 2016) while they pumped out new F150's.. and they lost out on a lot of sales as demand for the Raptor was through the roof (Used ones with 30K miles were still selling for MSRP in places). Wouldn't it have been smart business to continue on with the Gen 1 Raptor production until they could get the Gen 2 Raptor ready for release while still selling the new design F150's?

Well, the GT350 is already a uniquely designed vehicle on a specialty line with a already different front end than both the 2017 GT or 2018 GT, so I would think it was easy for ford to continue on in 2018 as they are while potentially finalizing the 2019 GT350 design. Building on the GT350 platform makes good sense as it's received worldwide acclaim for it's track ability. A few improvements here and there, slightly more HP, and a new front end and voila- the continuation of their flagship track car.
I don't think the Raptor is an apples to apples comparison, as it had no historical significance. Our GT350's have a unique front end yes, but are built on the same lines as the regular Mustangs. Having the older raptor produced at the same time as the new bodystyle would have been a massive PITA as every single body panel would be different, not to mention production of all different body parts rather than just a different front end as the 350 has vs the GT.

Makes no sense to continue as a 2019. What makes sense about having the same design for 4 model years, then changing the looks and powertrain for 2 more years at the end of a cycle? If it were going to happen, it would happen for 2018 as a "mid cycle refresh" is exactly that, a MID cycle refresh.

It absolutely has been universally praised, no doubt. But I have zero doubts that they will build upon their knowledge there, and the next NA "track star" that we see could actually be even rarer than our cars perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a NA Boss 429 CPC 5.2 be revealed in 2019 for a 2 year model run similar to the 2 year Boss 302 run. Could easily be justified as the GT350 still has the Voodoo making it insanely unique, but the Boss 429 would be a more limited model with a more conventional CPC V8. And I believe this car to be the next track special car, having a similar engine as the GT4 Mustang uses in professional racing. Could easily then have the GT500 or Cobra or whatever at the top of the food chain with a supercharged version of the 5.2 CPC V8.

I think it is far more likely to see either the Boss or GT500/Cobra on their own, or both at the same time even, before we see an updated Voodoo and redesigned 2019 GT350.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I guess Ford could give us a new '19/'20/'21 GT350, borrowing the '18 refresh as a base. Given the stats for the new '18 Coyote V3, they could even leave the Voodoo alone as just give us an updated look.

We know there's a new halo-Stang coming and, judging by those that seem to know, it'll be a supercharge CPC 5.2 cranking out close to (if not more than) 800hp, possibly with a 7-speed dual clutch.

For me, there's still room in the Mustang family for a 530-550hp, normally aspirated car.

Personally, I want that car to be a Mach 1 with a n/a cpc 5.2 (effectively the Aluminator XS is production trim) backed with the option of the new 10-speed.

But Ford are good at keeping at keeping secrets, so its anyone's guess :ford:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I think with dropping sales/profit, new CEO cutting costs, the 2018 run is small because its the minimum order with sub contractors that ford can place. Then it will end and the FPC. Ford is going only do popular models with good margins. Like F150. There will be layoffs. I predict this car is going to ollectable, they won't rust as fast as the early ones.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I guess Ford could give us a new '19/'20/'21 GT350, borrowing the '18 refresh as a base. Given the stats for the new '18 Coyote V3, they could even leave the Voodoo alone as just give us an updated look.

We know there's a new halo-Stang coming and, judging by those that seem to know, it'll be a supercharge CPC 5.2 cranking out close to (if not more than) 800hp, possibly with a 7-speed dual clutch.

For me, there's still room in the Mustang family for a 530-550hp, normally aspirated car.

Personally, I want that car to be a Mach 1 with a n/a cpc 5.2 (effectively the Aluminator XS is production trim) backed with the option of the new 10-speed.

But Ford are good at keeping at keeping secrets, so its anyone's guess :ford:
Yep, forgot about the Mach 1 designation as well. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Mach 1 return as an option package, or maybe these PP2 packaged 5.0's will be named "Mach 1" as it was a little over a decade ago as a simply upgrade to the GT's.

Who knows, Ford might only use the 5.2 as the supercharged variant, and they might unveil some godly NA 7.0L for a Boss 429 making as you said 530-550hp. But, I am also hesitant in believing that two special editions each with special engines would exist at the same time.

Much more likely that the Boss or Mach will have an NA 5.2, that won't be as impressive as we would like, simply to try and move buyers to pony up for the bigger, badder GT500. Yes, pun intended :D

But in all cases, I don't see the FPC motor living beyond 2018.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Doesn't it make sense that they might just be saving money by not having to redesign the GT350 for 18 and 19? Why spend the money on a facelift.2 just for the GT350 when it already looks great. I think it could continue to 19, just as it is.

Think about it - if the GT350 was introduced in 2018 with the facelift GT, the 350 would seem like a more aggressive version and everyone would welcome it. They aren't going to redesign it for no reason.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
But in all cases, I don't see the FPC motor living beyond 2018.
Why redesign the GT350 when they put so much design effort into the functionality of the current design. If you notice, the S550 redesign is shifting more towards the features of the GT350.
Also, keep in mind that the current UAW contract requires the FPC 5.2 engine to be built through 2020. Although the last year could be for backup, replacements and the aftermarket.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The engine was contracted to carry through 2019 "with upgrades" I doubt we will see a redesign on a car that was never intended to have a long production run. Early on it was quoted to have a 5yr run and that statement was promptly removed from the article it was written in. Could they build on for 2019? Sure. Will it involve a redesign? I highly doubt it. The 5.2l "upgrades" as stated in the contract will likely be the cpc and updates for forced induction. The spray bore block is here to stay so may as well use heads for your next flagship mustang. Changing cylinder ports is just a matter of reprogramming the current cnc machines, no big deal.

Here is the contract and how it's worded. It does not specify the voodoo or the fpc.
Screenshot_2017-08-11-07-20-13-1.png

Last edited:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
It will all depend on what bean counters say. The CEO is not a performance enthusiast, the whole FP I believe will suffer large cuts. The stock holders want profits

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It will all depend on what bean counters say. The CEO is not a performance enthusiast, the whole FP I believe will suffer large cuts. The stock holders want profits
He spent about 30 years with an office furniture company. So.... you might be right. Hopefully.... he would let FP to continue it's development to stay competitive.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Do you think that Alan Mulally was a performance enthusiast, not even close and did Ford not bring back the Boss 302 program in 2009 under his direction

There is not a hope that FP will suffer large cuts to programs such as the Ford GT, GT500, Raptor, Focus RS, Bronco, Mach 1, KR or possibly a future Boss program.

As long as the Ford family is involved at the FMC Ford Performance will survive just fine.

:ford:

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
I thought I read that the next generation Mustang was pushed up to 2020 from 2022...If that's true, I would assume it would make sense to push the GT500 or whatever it is out as a '19-'20 model only, making that car pretty valuable.

Just like the RS, it sounds like Ford might just be running out parts with 2018 MY cars, as both remain pretty much unchanged, although in the RS, they're giving it a special color and a mechanical diff (on top of some styling adds like a black wing and fake CF trim bits).

Personally I hope the GT350 ends in 2018 and the Voodoo along with it, just to keep it exclusive.

I already set money aside for that GT500 though, as long as the market stays strong, I'm in no rush :D lol
Sponsored