Sponsored

Q&A with Mustang program manager

Ricky35

There was a Q&A with Prakash Patel, program manager for the Mustang who is responsible for program management, timing etc. Not a ton of salacious info but there were a few interesting tidbits.

Q: Can we expect an updated version of the coyote?
A: The 5.0L engine has been significantly updated including 420+ HP and 390+ ft-lbs of torque.

Q: How much will the car weigh?
A: We are still in midst of confirming our final weight but the team has set very aggressive targets and we are on track to achieve those.

Q: Will the turbocharged 2.3 liter engine have forged internals?
A: The 2.3L EcoBoost will have forged steel crankshaft with premium bearing materials.

Q: When we will be able to order one?
A: The all-new 2015 Mustang will be available in fall 2014.

Q: Return of the glass roof or even a retractable glass roof like that of the Lincoln MKZ?
A: The new Mustang will not offer the fixed glass roof.

Q: What is the tire size of rear tire?
A: The new Mustang will feature tire sizes of 235-265 for the front and 235-275 for the rear.

Q: What transmission is being used on the 6-speed GT, V6, and 4CYL Turbo. The MT82's have been hit or miss as far as reliability due to shifter / pressure plate/etc.
A: We have significantly upgraded shifting as well as reliability performance of the manual transmission which will be available with all three engines.

Q: When will Ford release the full list of specs for all of the models? (0-60mph, hp, tq, etc.)
A: The full specs will be available as we get closer to launch.

Q: Is the color "Guard" green or a dark grey? It is hard to tell on the ford.com site.
A: The color guard has green hues.

Q: Will the Turbo car be named SVO?
A: The final badging strategy has not been completed yet.

Q: Will there be a 2014 1/2 50th anniversary edition?
A: The all-new Mustang will be introduced as a 2015 model year in North America.

Q: Are 18" rims now the standard rim for the new mustang?
A: The new Mustang will feature 17"-20" wheels and we will release more details on the lug pattern later.

Q: Will the new mustang have a HUD? From a couple of pictures I've seen, it looks like it.
A: The new Mustang will feature over 20 new technologies and features. Will provide more technical details around those later.

Q: Will there be a dramatic jump in price?
A: The Mustang team is very aware of fast, fun, and affordable. And we will provide pricing information closer to launch.

Q: Is there a specific feature that you fought for during the development process that you are particularly proud made the final product?
A: On Mustang, we are lucky to have senior management support to provide a world class icon. Asking me to choose one aspect of the car is like asking me to choose my favorite child. Selectable driving mode and launch control are my two favorite features as it resonates with our enthusiasts.

Q: What will the factory gear ratios be for the V8?
A; We will feature a broad span of gear ratios including a 3.73. The final offering strategy will be decided in the next few months.

Q: I understand that the 2015 is a bit lighter. How have you maintained wheel control while reducing mass?
A: As I have responded earlier, the team has very aggressive weight targets and are on a path to deliver them. However, the more technical data will be solidified in the next few months.

Q: In the stock numbers, do you anticipate the Mustang to beat the latest Camaro?
A: Our focus was to create the best Mustang ever and in course of development, we tested and benchmarked several competitive vehicles including aspirational cars such as BMW M3 and Porsche 911.

Q: Will the convertible top be able to be raised/lowered while in motion?
A: The new convertible roof will feature a single center mount release and will operate almost twice as fast for opening and closing.

Q: Specific MPG targets with the new car?
A: The new Mustang engine lineup will have improved fuel economy.

Q: Will we be seeing the same 2 piece driveshaft of the current models?
A: The new Mustang features a new platform including rear independent suspension and new drive shafts.

Q: Top speed?
A: The new Mustang will increase top speed v. outgoing.
Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Great post Ricky. I like how he answered the question about the glass roof as no fixed roof will be offered. Never ruled out a removable one or retractable. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

Ricky35

Yea sometimes the omissions are just as telling. These guys could be politicians the way they dodge questions! :)

OP
OP

Ponywars

Fall 2014! :headbang:

As far as I know they haven't narrowed down timing beyond "late 2014" until this. Very good news.

Sponsored

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
Wow, so for most of the questions he didn't give any more information than we already know...

OP
OP

Dyno

Did you expect them to just spill the beans on everything we don't know? It's just a few hints and we get to break it down and analyze it like always, until official details.

The bit about the very aggressive weight targets is most interesting. I sure hope the program manager isn't foolish enough to make this statement unless the S550 is actually lighter.

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
Did you expect them to just spill the beans on everything we don't know? It's just a few hints and we get to break it down and analyze it like always, until official details.

The bit about the very aggressive weight targets is most interesting. I sure hope the program manager isn't foolish enough to make this statement unless the S550 is actually lighter.
Oh yes, that's exactly what I expected. :rolleyes:

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Wow, so for most of the questions he didn't give any more information than we already know...
It only takes one bit of info (in this case the weight) and it's worth it.

Good night Camaro.

Sponsored

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
I hope if they do anything for the roof they don't do the retractable roof from the mkz, that thing just looks hideous when its open. If they do anything they should replicate the 911 targa style where the glass roof retracts into the car. or just do a normal sunroof.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
His non-answer about a possible HUD was telling.

OP
OP

J.Darcy

Q: Will the Turbo car be named SVO?
A: The final badging strategy has not been completed yet.

A: The all-new Mustang will be introduced as a 2015 model year in North America.
I take the first answer to suggest that there will be more badges than just the 5.0.

Second one seems to be an affirmative NO. So much for those bogus 14.5 rumors.

DrRadar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT

Note that this doesn't say that there will be no 2014 1/2, just that if there is it won't be the all new mustang.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC

Note that this doesn't say that there will be no 2014 1/2, just that if there is it won't be the all new mustang.
I read it as "there will be no Mustang on the new platform with a model year designation of 2014 1/2". To me, this leaves open the possibility of an anniversary edition, even though it would be a 2015.
Sponsored