Sponsored

Boot hitting bumper

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Having had a dirty car for the last couple of weeks, I hadn't really noticed this,

IMG_0353.JPG

Well, I noticed a 'dirty line' but just put it down to muck.

Turns out, the boot hits the bumper every time you shut it. It then springs back slightly to lock into place, so you don't notice it touching. Paint is damaged down to the primer.

If you feel on the bottom of your boot lid (the bit that would touch the bumper if you had my car!) it's a really rough and knarled up finish which doesn't help.

Has caused quite a bit of damage that will need repainting to put right. Also, the boot or boot catch will have to be re adjusted. If the boot is readjusted higher, it won't be flush with the rear panels though.

This needs doing but I'm dreading the thought of taking into the dealer. I'm bound to have a Big G level of pain, especially as they'd also be having a stab at the boot alignment.

Just thought I'd highlight this as I'm sure I won't be the last person with this issue.

Others (in the USA) must have had the same issue, but for life of me I can't find on the forums. If its an easy fix (like the bonnet latch) I wouldn't mind doing myself, to at least prevent further damage.

Just paid a fortune for a ceramic coating. I know this is not the dealers fault, but if I bite the bullet and take into the dealer, I'd expect them to pay for this to be re-done on the bumper. What do people think?

Edit: the image below was added by accident - please ignore - anyone know how to remove attached images from posts!!!
P1000219.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Sorry - curse of the over-zoomed in image!

Hope the image below is clearer. Basically a line of damaged paint where the bumper slams against it every time it closes. If you feel the bottom edge of the boot its about as smooth as a wood saw, which hasn't helped.

IMG_0350.jpg

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Aha, thought that's what it was.

Can't get my head around how the lid gets that close to it though? :shrug: Is that scratched line flush with the lid when it shuts?

Is that what you thought YOU were causing with your Wolverine claws?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Can't get my head around how the lid gets that close to it though? :shrug: Is that scratched line flush with the lid when it shuts?

It slams straight into the bumper, if you stand back and watch someone else shut it, you see the bumper wobble as it hits! Yes the line is flush with lid so I just assumed it was a build up of dirt where the rain drips down/collects.

Is that what you thought YOU were causing with your Wolverine claws?
Sort of, there were still (other) faint scratches from wolverine claws, but these have been pretty much polished out. I'd have put a clear boot protector on it, but its too late for that now!

Discovering the damage really put a downer on the excitement of picking up from the detailers.

Got a price for a complete covering (same stuff as on your front) of the car by the way, but pretty eye watering for whole car (well over a grand). Meant to be fantastic mind you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Did the ceramic coasters spot it when they did the vehicle. What makes the edge of the boot lid rough? Is it the metal, plastic, paint, dirt or, er, ceramic coating?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Did the ceramic coasters spot it when they did the vehicle. What makes the edge of the boot lid rough? Is it the metal, plastic, paint, dirt or, er, ceramic coating?
It became obvious when the car was cleaned. They showed how it was due to the boot lid hitting the bumper. I recall the roughness was the rough cut plastic trim.

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Sorry to see that mate. Hope your dealer sorts it asap and does a perfect job first time!!

leave it all for the dealer mate so that they see how the damage has be caused.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Good news is that its common and there's a fix of sorts:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22720&highlight=trunk+latch

For anyone else getting their car, identifying this at an early stage will save all the hassle of having to take your car into the dealer for a respray and a world of pain.

The bad news is that the body panels on the Mustang don't necessarily fit together. Certainly raising the boot on my car will throw the alignment with the other panels out. Much as I love the car, the poor build quality does take the shine off a bit.

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Good news is that its common and there's a fix of sorts:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22720&highlight=trunk+latch

For anyone else getting their car, identifying this at an early stage will save all the hassle of having to take your car into the dealer for a respray and a world of pain.

The bad news is that the body panels on the Mustang don't necessarily fit together. Certainly raising the boot on my car will throw the alignment with the other panels out. Much as I love the car, the poor build quality does take the shine off a bit.
I have this also but have held off taking it in due to not wanting to have my car taken up for a few days.

Sponsored

Diego Narwhal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 GT PP
I noticed this on mine when I was washing it the other day. Fortunately it's not nearly as bad as OP's yet. I'm going have a go at adjusting the latch and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't screw up the panel alignment too much...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I have this also but have held off taking it in due to not wanting to have my car taken up for a few days.
I know, it's a hassle. No huge rush I suppose.

I don't know what the dealers are like in the US, but main dealers are notorious for sloppy work and dishonesty here in the UK. So there's always the dread that the car will come out worse than it went it.

As long as I get a suitable courtesy car, I don't actually mind being without my car, in fact It keeps the miles off it. The prospect of adding another main dealer horror story to my life is the worst bit for me.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I noticed this on mine when I was washing it the other day. Fortunately it's not nearly as bad as OP's yet. I'm going have a go at adjusting the latch and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't screw up the panel alignment too much...
Hopefully you can buff out the scratch if not too severe. Saves a respray.

I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't notice it sooner. I've washed it quite a few times, but have a water filter to rinse off, which saves having to dry with a towel. With the weather at the moment though, this has meant the car has been permanently wet or dirty, which has hidden the damage.

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
I know, it's a hassle. No huge rush I suppose.

I don't know what the dealers are like in the US, but main dealers are notorious for sloppy work and dishonesty here in the UK. So there's always the dread that the car will come out worse than it went it.

As long as I get a suitable courtesy car, I don't actually mind being without my car, in fact It keeps the miles off it. The prospect of adding another main dealer horror story to my life is the worst bit for me.
I'm picky as hell for OEM paint which is why I really didn't want to do it but I just messaged the Ford representative on here to see what we can do about it. Check your trunk itself where its rubbing, the paint is probably messed up there also.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
... Check your trunk itself where its rubbing, the paint is probably messed up there also.
Good point - logically it will be just as damaged.
Sponsored