Sponsored

Timing Sprocket Issues on 15?????

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
where can I find all the necessary torque specs needed for the swap?
Sponsored

bvdawg13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black Mustang GT
You'd think it would be a recall issue.

Viperbluecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base PP Recaros
it is a pretty in depth job. will take a qualified tech most of a day, if not the entire day.
engine can stay in car.
In for the same question.

Someone said they saw a write up on it, does anyone have a link?

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
You'd think it would be a recall issue.

Why? They aren't breaking at manufacturers designed power output. Breakage due to increased stress due to modding is not a recall problem.

Sponsored

bvdawg13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black Mustang GT
Why? They aren't breaking at manufacturers designed power output. Breakage due to increased stress due to modding is not a recall problem.
Ok, I thought guys with and without SC were breaking these as well.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Ok, I thought guys with and without SC were breaking these as well.

Show me the people with stock ones broken.

Internet problems get blown up too easily. People take what one guy says and turn into fact.

I've seen proof of one of these broken so far. It's not a widespread problem, especially at stock power levels. Boosted, it's probably good insurance.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I would like to understand this better.

So, how does the boosted car increase load on the timing chain gear? The quicker rate of engine speed acceleration requires greater energy vs time on the timing chain to accelerate the mass of the camshafts, gears, and chains.

Is that it?

Because if that is it, I am not entirely sold on this being a HP specific issue, as anyone can accelerate their engine speed just as quickly by free reving in neutral. Add a light weight flywheel and clutch setup, and an otherwise nearly stock HP all motor car can blip the throttle and increase engine speed quicker than my car can in any gear.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Any belt driven supercharger puts torque on the crank snout. I am with you though. How does it affect the timing gear? I doubt there is enough force to distort the end of the crank to break the timing gear. If that were the case then you have other huge vibrations from the crank area.

Sponsored

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I am thinking that if this is a problem, it's for everyone not just high HP guys.

Although when it fails, ford will obviously use the blower as a BS excuse not to warranty the engine. So it will hurt us more than bolt on guys.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Most of the major shops seem to think it's a good idea to replace it when getting into serious power. Beefcake has broken a couple, apparently. I'm certainly curious as to why it fails at higher power levels. Would hate to be the guy who says there's no reason for it to fail when standing over my blown motor.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
The car that it failed on multiple times... Stock cams and valve springs or race stuff? Stock chain tensioner system or modified?

Unless we can think of a reason that HP alone could break it, maybe we can narrow it down to other contributing factors to better weigh our individual odds.

Seems like just lots of flooring it will load it more often, and lend to fatigue. Greater camshaft load from aggressive lobe and tighter springs will stress it more. I am not familiar with our timing chain tensioner system yet but inadequacies there could be a problem

Sometimes strengthening a part is a bandaid solution for a problem somewhere else.

jaymayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silver 5.0
Just a theory of mine, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would think if effects high horsepower applications more because of the extra pressure being put on the valves. When you add FI there is going to be more pressure added to the cylinder, therefor adding stress to the valve terrain. When the valve terrain has more pressure put on it that goes to the rotating assembly unless your running a camless engine. Which could be in the tuning process, is there any type of variable valve timing?

Just a theory anyway no proof, and never had the problem.

My next question would be the same as phunks, what else was done to the heads?

Last edited: