ProCharger HO Kit w/ Stage 2 Intercooler - Dynos Included

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 50th with PP
I have broken this down into 4 Sections

1) Stock Car
2) Reasoning for selecting ProCharger kit - I have received MANY PM's asking me why I chose this kit, so I figured I would include it here
3)Install and Before/After Dynos - Car is 100% stock for first dyno and the ONLY change I made for the Second Dyno was the Supercharger kit using the ProCharger Supplied tune.
4)Initial Driving Impression at ~125mi

So, I picked up my 2015 GT - Performance Package - 50th - Black - in December - I now have 800 miles on the car

---------------------------------------------

Before Pics and Completely Stock Baseline Dyno:

---------------------------------------------
So in my build thread, and through PM, I have received MANY questions about why I chose the ProCharger Kit, versus others. Most questions being similar to:

"Why procharger over whipple or kenne bell. Honestly asking been looking online and can't see a reason for one over the other besides personal preference. I also want to know for the one I plan on getting this fall?"

My response to this question in particular: - (There are more questions and details in my Build Thread - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19479 )

Well, you really just hit the nail on the head, it comes down to personal preference. No one FI option is "best", it simply comes down to how you like power delivered and how much maintenance/install complexity you want to get into. I've had everything from 400whp Turbo 4's, to blown straight 6's:

VR6 w/ GT4088:

E46 M3 with Vortech unit:

What it really came down to, for me personally are a few factors:
1) Ease of install (~5hrs)
2) Low Maintenance
3) Power Delivery Characteristics

People get very locked into the "I want more power", especially in the age of internet forums where *cough* "everyone" is making huge numbers. But what you really have to ask yourself, is when you're driving your car, where exactly in the power delivery curve do you actually want more power. For me, I do not need more (Although obviously there will be an addition) off idle power ... I want more peak rpm power. I prefer the linear power delivery and rising boost rate of a centrifugal unit. Its predictable.

I like the future upgrade ability of this kit ... right now I cant see wanting more than 600whp in this car, but if I decide that I want more than that in a year, its completely capable of doing that. People have made 700whp on this kit; and with a simple headunit, tuning, fueling swap, obviously much more is possible. I like how modular this kit is.

In theory, the way boost/power comes on with a centrifugal unit, it SHOULD be easier on drivetrain components - clutch/axles/transmission - I want to enjoy this car, not have a massive project car that is CONSTANTLY breaking things every time I go for a cruise with my girlfriend ... I've owned these in the past, and it gets old quickly. So ask yourself, what are you using your car for, and why do you want more power than this kit is capable of?

What is YOUR power goal? How do YOU drive YOUR car? Do you want more power for the street? The Strip - if so, what kind of times are you looking to achieve? Road course? How much other work do you want to do to your car? What kind of maintenance can you afford? What is your total budget, not just the cost of the blower, but supporting modifications?

Only downside to a centrifgal unit is that when you're dealing with a v8, when you pop the hood everyone at the car show is expecting a big PD blower ... theres no "wow" factor. Other than that, I dont see a benefit to a PD blower

------------------------------------------

Blower is installed and of course its POURING rain here, and I dont feel like standing in the rain taking pictures ... so installed pictures will be forthcoming, but for meow:

ProCharger HO complete, PreTuned 8psi kit, with the Stage 2 Intercooler Upgrade.

Ordering and shipping:

I ordered my complete kit from TeamBeefCake - Not only was his price, imho, unbeatable but he helped me reason through which ProCharger combination was best for me. Active forum vendor sponsors like BeefCake and others are an invaluable resource to the community. He obviously cares, just look at all the unpaid work he performed on the ARH vs SW header debate: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18140&highlight=ARH+Headers . Excellent service. I received a FedEx tracking number 4 business days after placing my order and received my complete kit 6 business days after placing my order. My kit was extremely well packed, upon inspection ProCharger obviously is very careful about Pre-Shipment QC, parts inspection and ensuring that all parts are in fact accounted for.

Receipt of Software:

Once I had downloaded my stock file and emailed it to ProCharger,I received my tuned file (without any need for me calling and prompting/prodding) within 2 hours of sending the email out.

Install:

I believe ProChargers 5hr claim as being POSSIBLE. I have never owned a Mustang prior to this, have ZERO experience with them :

Includuded in my install time:
-The original baseline dyno
-Installing the kit
-Downloading, emailing and loading software
-Taking lunch and snack-time breaks
-road testing the car
-re-dynoing the car after

-8.5hrs

I had ZERO issues fitting this kit. Fitment was excellent. The instructions are detailed. You almost can't screw this up.

If there were to be a caveat with it, its the tuner/user-interface ... its archaic, and slow. This is 2015, there are better options. That being said: I had no problems with it. - It does its job

Claimed Kit Results vs my actual results :

-The ONLY modification installed on this car is the ProCharger kit – This car does not even have a cat-back exhaust installed yet. (I have an ARH Cat-Back, but I will be installing and dynoing next week, as I want to see if a cat-back alone adds any power once FI is in play)
-This is the tune from ProCharger – obviously it's conservative
-I am running piss poor 91oct

-Before considering my peak number, please keep in mind my baseline numbers ... look at delta and actual % gained

-ProCharger advertises a 45%-50% gain as being possible with the 8psi HO Kit (Per their website) : I GAINED EXACTLY 49.43%

Stock Dyno:

ProCharger HO Kit Only:

Overlay:

Fantastic Work ProCharger!

Initial Driving Impressions: I honestly was only able to drive the car for about 10 minutes before it started pouring, it rained all last night, and is still raining today. The kit really feels exactly the way I thought (hoped) it would. Power is extremely linear and predictable. I am extremely satisfied with this kit, based on my initial drive and I am pleased that I decided to go with a centrifugal unit on this car. I will provide a more thourough and complete review of my driving impressions once it dries up a bit here, and the roads are a bit more clean (I still have 2.5ft of snow in my yard) – However I can already tell that this car DESPERATELY needs wider/stickier rubber ASAP.

I will get videos, pictures and before/after exhaust dyno's sometime next week. - If you'd like to follow my build thread here's the link: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19479

--------------------------------------------------------

03/28/15 – INITIAL DRIVING IMPRESSIONS UPDATE

It stopped raining late yesterday morning, and the roads dried up a bit by the evening, and overnight ... so between last night and this morning I actually put about ~125 miles on the car. I will ultimately provide a more robust review after I’ve really had some time with the kit/tune but here are my initial impressions.

- Still on stock rubber
-I live in Maine. Its fucking cold here still. My range for driving this car with the ProCharger installed has fluctuated between 20 and 45 degrees. Mostly hovering around 32-35deg

Cold Start:
The car starts perfectly, just like stock, every time. I started the car at ~25deg this morning, after it sat all night: No issues. No hard start. This has not been the case with all other modified/tuned/fuel-system-modified cars that I have owned. – Impressed

Idle:
Car idles like stock, it is not searching, bouncing, etc. – Neat-o

WOT drivability:
On the stock tires, in cold weather, on dirty/sandy roads: 1st, 2nd and the first part of 3rd are worthless and are simply exercises in judicial throttle application. – If you’re buying this kit, you’ll want better rubber sooner rather than later. I knew this, have budgeted for it, but am having a difficult time deciding what rimmmmmzzzzzth I want.

Once you can actually put the power to the ground, 3rd and 4th gear are absolutely amazing. Power is perfectly linear, smooth and controllable. My first pulls to the top of 3rd and 4th gear immediately validated my decision to go with a centrifugal unit. No strange tuning hiccups at WOT (That I have noticed yet), the car pulls hard, smoothly, to redline. – Awesome

Cruising around town:
One thing I like about centrifugal units, is that I could easily hand this car to my mother to go get groceries in. She would cruise around in this thing bellow 2500rpm and would be none the wiser to the fact that its making 558whp. You can, comfortably cruise in this thing, and its no unmanageable in any way ... or atleast it essentially feels like a stock car.

Overall initial impression:
The kit is absolutely on point. Install is a breeze. 50% power addition, is unbelievable. WOT driving is perfect. If you’re putting together a street car, for occasional trips to the strip, I really think this is the kit to go with. Partial Throttle issues need to be worked out.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--- Reserved for Review ---

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Have been trying to tell myself I don't need a SC. Damn you! I wonder how much it would cost to have it installed at a reputable shop in SoCal?

Sponsored

bvdawg13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black Mustang GT
Awesome!

OP
OP

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have been trying to tell myself I don't need a SC. Damn you! I wonder how much it would cost to have it installed at a reputable shop in SoCal?
I really think you could do it in much less time than I did (Especially considering I did 2 dyno pulls before and 3 pulls after)

Someone doing it for the first time without dyno time would (Im guessing) be looking at around the 7hr mark ... someone with more experience working on these cars, or with another install or two under their belt, I think really could get the time down to 5-6 hrs no problem.

Im also including time for snacky-poos in my install time.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Thanks for the great write up and pictures.
It does address a lot of my questions.

I do have a question and a request.

What octane is the fuel used for the dyno pulls?

Could you do a video (after the weather turns nicer) so I can get a feel for the noise difference that the SC imparts on the car with the stock exhaust?
Most of the videos so far have non-factory exhaust setups and I will definitely be keeping the stock exhaust and am looking for a quiet supercharger, both from inside the car and outside the car.
In particular I am interested in idle and driving around below 2500 RPMs.

My worry is that the quiet stock exhaust will make the SC noise even more pronounced than aftermarket exhausts, which might cover some of the sound.

OP
OP

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the great write up and pictures.
It does address a lot of my questions.

I do have a question and a request.

What octane is the fuel used for the dyno pulls?

Could you do a video (after the weather turns nicer) so I can get a feel for the noise difference that the SC imparts on the car with the stock exhaust?
Most of the videos so far have non-factory exhaust setups and I will definitely be keeping the stock exhaust and am looking for a quiet supercharger, both from inside the car and outside the car.
In particular I am interested in idle and driving around below 2500 RPMs.

My worry is that the quiet stock exhaust will make the SC noise even more pronounced than aftermarket exhausts, which might cover some of the sound.
Its in there under my dyno section, but its crappy 91oct

I'll TRY to get in car video before doing the exhaust. All I have for a video camera is my DSLR, and while the video quality itsself is good, the audio is not always the best. I also cant hold a DSLR while driving, so I'll have to find a "film crew" :thumbsup:

That being said, you can opt for the gear upgrade which will be markedly quieter ... although in the car, this is not loud by any measure (In my opinion)

Sponsored

15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Awesome review! Can't wait to get my kit now. I ordered from Beefcake as well and also felt like he gave me an unbeatable price. Beefcake FTW! I think the numbers are great for being a safe canned tune. Can't wait to see if the Catback adds any more power.

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
16 Premium GT, 17 Laramie Cummins
When you say Procharger HO Kit only, does that mean the canned tune? Also, if you ever get it custom tuned(If it isn't already) will you post what numbers you got after?

OP
OP

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say Procharger HO Kit only, does that mean the canned tune? Also, if you ever get it custom tuned(If it isn't already) will you post what numbers you got after?
-This is the tune from ProCharger – obviously it's conservative

I will eventually get custom tuned, however at that time I will probably swap out headers and increase boost to get the most out of my money with a custom tune.

Unless someone (Lund etc) wants to remote tune me for free just to show the benefit of their tuning vs the canned tunes.

My work computer doesn't show the pics, can someone tell me what he made after the supercharger install? lol
I went from 373whp to 558whp - 49.43% Gained / + 185whp at only 8psi on a canned, octane indifferent tune is so impressive to me.

-91 oct - no other changes to the car
Sponsored