Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
My dealer gave up on waiting for the Vibration tool they ordered in December, and ordered a driveshaft after fixing a used one on their lot by replacing it with the driveshaft off a new one that didnt have the vib.There are new ones on the lot that vibrate like mine but they can't fix them until some poor soul buys it and gets stuck like me.

My driveshaft will be here this Friday I'm told. Made appt for Friday. Fingers crossed.
Tell them to order a pinion flange, too. Mine had 3 different DS and still was quite bad. They replaced the pinion flange and did the on car balancing and that fixed it.
Sponsored

rubyfirst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reiner
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback Orange Fury MY2019
Hey everybody. I am Reiner from Germany and this is my first post here. Sorry because of my bad English. School is so many years ago.

It´s very important for me to say "thank you so much!!!" to all the people who wrote all the horrible storys about the vibrations at their Mustangs. I got my Pony at 11-21-2015 and I had the vibrations since the first day - it began at 85 km/h and had the highest level at 100 km/h. First we checked the wheels but they were okay. A friend from the German Mustang6-Forum told me to have a look at your Forum here, where the same problems have been discussed since January 2015. When I read about the Drive Shaft I told it to my Dealer one week ago. He could´nt see anything at the car and made a Phone Call to our German Ford Headquarter in Cologne where nobody had heard from vibrations before. So the Expert in Cologne said to my Dealer: Try to turn the Drive Shaft to 180° like the customer (me) told you. He did it and - yes the vibrations has gone. Now my Pony runs so smooth - I like it all day more than the day before.

Once again thanks so much to you all here. I learn a lot in the German Mustang-Forum and I am sure that I will learn a lot by visiting your Forum too in your wonderful Country USA:clap2::headbang::cheers:

And by the way - thanks to US :ford: to celebrate the Mustang in the European Version for the first time in this glory 50 years-history:cheers:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Your English is very good ... I could easily follow your thoughts. Good to hear a simple drive shaft turn of 180 degrees fixed your vibrations.

Jim05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
Your reply to this thread is interesting by the use of the app you tried out to record the vibes.

I'm wondering if you have time to repeat that test again, but place the phone in the following locations:

1) Inside center console so that phone is completely flat against bottom of console. Logic: The center console is directly above the trans/driveshaft tunnel. The (2) piece driveshaft has a center bearing or "guibo", thus chances for monitoring vibes may be greater in this location than at dash or steering wheel.

2) Inside trunk - either by placing inside spare tire well (which is directly over rear differential or placed on top of trunk carpet.

3) On L or R rear floor pan.

I would suspect that 1 of the 3 locations above may produce better and more accurate results since those locations are closest to the driveline (driveshaft, rear differential, rear wheels and rear axles).
I will give these a try next -- I took the readings below before I read this.

The FSE came out and found 2 or 3 tires (haven't got the official report yet) needed to be adjusted on the road force balance (3rd time including having replaced two tires). In fairness to the FSE, he put the NVH tester on and even reported that my aftermarket license plate bracket was vibrating. Now that I got "fair" out of the way, he also said that any remaining vibration is within spec of a convertible. Since I just noticed a couple posts about rotating the driveshaft 180, I am going to give that a shot or find someone in Northern VA who can index or balance my driveshaft.

Anyway, below are the updated vibe samples taken from my steering wheel. There is a very significant difference in the raw vibe data from having done the road force balance. It is nearly identical to the GT hardtop now (from the steering wheel), so by using one of the 3 locations suggested above I will try the same thing as I play around with the driveshaft. Please note that with this pic, I adjusted the aspect ratio of the screen shots so the scales lined up.
Raw Vibes Comparison.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bumping this back up...

Also my here's my update:
Vehicle has been at local Ford Service Center for now the 3rd time (dropped off on 02/02). Their 2nd attempt to fix was to re-index the driveshaft, which they did and thought it was corrected. After I picked it up and drove it many miles home - the 55-60+ vibe was still present and nothing changed even after the DS was re-indexed.

This time around I'm being told they did further analysis and have determined that the driveshaft is actually "out of balance" based on testing and trying to get it balanced using Ford's diagnosis technique of applying hose clamps around the driveshaft for balancing weights. So since the DS could not be balanced any further, I was told the driveshaft has been sent out to be re-balanced by an independent shop.

Car has been at shop since Tuesday. My Service Center has supplied me with a loaner, which is good that I can get around.

We'll see what happens...next...

Anyone know who manufactures or supplies the driveshafts for Ford?

Sponsored

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Hey everybody. I am Reiner from Germany and this is my first post here. Sorry because of my bad English. School is so many years ago.

It´s very important for me to say "thank you so much!!!" to all the people who wrote all the horrible storys about the vibrations at their Mustangs. I got my Pony at 11-21-2015 and I had the vibrations since the first day - it began at 85 km/h and had the highest level at 100 km/h. First we checked the wheels but they were okay. A friend from the German Mustang6-Forum told me to have a look at your Forum here, where the same problems have been discussed since January 2015. When I read about the Drive Shaft I told it to my Dealer one week ago. He could´nt see anything at the car and made a Phone Call to our German Ford Headquarter in Cologne where nobody had heard from vibrations before. So the Expert in Cologne said to my Dealer: Try to turn the Drive Shaft to 180° like the customer (me) told you. He did it and - yes the vibrations has gone. Now my Pony runs so smooth - I like it all day more than the day before.

Once again thanks so much to you all here. I learn a lot in the German Mustang-Forum and I am sure that I will learn a lot by visiting your Forum too in your wonderful Country USA:clap2::headbang::cheers:

And by the way - thanks to US :ford: to celebrate the Mustang in the European Version for the first time in this glory 50 years-history:cheers:
Congrats on getting your problem solved! And your English is better than some of the American posters!! :cheers:

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Bumping this back up...

Also my here's my update:
Vehicle has been at local Ford Service Center for now the 3rd time (dropped off on 02/02). Their 2nd attempt to fix was to re-index the driveshaft, which they did and thought it was corrected. After I picked it up and drove it many miles home - the 55-60+ vibe was still present and nothing changed even after the DS was re-indexed.

This time around I'm being told they did further analysis and have determined that the driveshaft is actually "out of balance" based on testing and trying to get it balanced using Ford's diagnosis technique of applying hose clamps around the driveshaft for balancing weights. So since the DS could not be balanced any further, I was told the driveshaft has been sent out to be re-balanced by an independent shop.

Car has been at shop since Tuesday. My Service Center has supplied me with a loaner, which is good that I can get around.

We'll see what happens...next...

Anyone know who manufactures or supplies the driveshafts for Ford?
I'd make sure they replace the pinion flange. My car had 3 DS swaps and the balancing with the Ford equipment by the engineer and was still bad. Replaced the pinion flange and it was fixed.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bringing mine in this afternoon for first oil change and vibration issue. I'm bringing with me several of the posts from this forum.

v0ltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Good luck. I'm over the 45 day mark at this point (first took the car in on 10 December) with no resolution.

Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bringing mine in this afternoon for first oil change and vibration issue. I'm bringing with me several of the posts from this forum.
Updates

2/5/16: Dealer agrees there is a drive line vibration so that's a good first start. I bring it back Monday for them to get an extended look at it.
2/8/16: Dealer had my car today and they are going to order a new Drive shaft. Be here end of week early next week.
2/18/16: Drive shaft arrived and is going in today.

Last edited:

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Mine goes in Friday for the vibration issue, they are already talking 'road force balance' before even driving the car. Have the sinking feeling this will be a battle. Car has < 600 miles ......

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Mine has the same vibration issues. I took it to the dealer the mechanic drove it and say they definitely felt it as well. They will have master tech work on it. I gave them the link to this forum as well, so hopefully they can get it fixed. Its such a nice car, but this vibration ruins the ride.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has the same vibration issues. I took it to the dealer the mechanic drove it and say they definitely felt it as well. They will have master tech work on it. I gave them the link to this forum as well, so hopefully they can get it fixed. Its such a nice car, but this vibration ruins the ride.
The service writer gave me back my notes from the forum and said "Those forums are full of upset people who lie." I told her I thought it would be well worth their while to review what other dealers are doing. She said, "The tech working on your car already diagnosed it as a drive shaft issue. He's never wrong." Well, I hope I don't have to make her eat those words next week.

Hope your experience goes well.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The service writer gave me back my notes from the forum and said "Those forums are full of upset people who lie." I told her I thought it would be well worth their while to review what other dealers are doing. She said, "The tech working on your car already diagnosed it as a drive shaft issue. He's never wrong." Well, I hope I don't have to make her eat those words next week.

Hope your experience goes well.
Well atleast they diagnosed and didn't tell you that's the nature of the car lol. That happened to me at the Dodge dealer when I was trying to get a fix for the differential making noise and they said "well just put some louder pipes and you won't have to hear it." I told em "I have a lawyer with a louder mouth" and problem was fixed. Ended up being a bent gear cuz it kept whining. Just keep pushing them but be very stern and direct that usually puts em on their toes to try and get it all done. Also something that stood out to me was this and see if it works with you guys. Every time I took my car to the dealer all cleaned up and shiny I got the upmost respect, whenever I took it dirty they didn't treat me the same as when I brought it in clean. That always stood out to me. So every time I go, I take it very clean and detailed. I hope yours gets fixed man, this vibration drives me crazy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Sponsored