Sponsored

phunk's Whipple GT

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
370z is still front seat because I am in the middle of some insanely cool stuff with it... But the mustang doesn't need any major down time anyway. Trying to set a date with some friends to get to the track.
Do you have a build thread on the370z.com or anywhere for your Z?
Sponsored

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I dont really have a build thread... you could find one from years ago when I first put the turbos on and made 525rwhp, but I never kept it up to date... but thats because I never changed anything either, only turned up the boost.

The modification list of my 370z has always been very short... turbo kit, fuel system, clutch, exhaust, tuning... thats it. Unless you count wheels and tires and springs, then this also. Those cars need very little to become monsters... my 370z at 671rwhp was still noticeably quicker than my Mustang is right now, especially on top end where grip was not a problem. Last night I actually did 4 roll races (in the mustang) with my friends 630rwhp 350z (one of my old cars actually) and we were side by side like twins each time. So those Z cars only need about 75-80hp less to be just as quick as the much heavier Mustang.

But right now I am in the middle of a huge project with that car and the 370z community doesnt know a thing about it.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Tire issue looks like graining, which they always talk about during F1 races, but I don't know the exact cause. I suspect it occurs when tires are loaded heavily but don't come to temp, which causes the rubber to roll up like small grains of rice. In F1 it can be present for a few laps, but then gets cleaned up (but for those few laps, the drivers lose a lot of time). Anyhow, it is possible that the power made it too easy to cook the tires without getting them heat cycled, or maybe the alignment caused it.

It will be interesting to see if it occurs on your next set of tires as well. Maybe getting them heat cycled first would help prevent the occurrence.

Good luck and nice build!

-T

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
I almost went with a Z but I felt like to get the power I wanted I was going to have to spend more for a turbo vs just supercharging the Mustang. I was very leery of the internals of the Z giving up the ghost at that much power without some internal work. I still absolutely love the look of the Z's but I felt like I was getting more bang for buck with the Mustang. I'm wondering if that's actually the case now just going by your experience with both.

Sponsored

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I think the Mustangs engine is a little more ideal for the 600+ rwhp territory, but I also think the 370z doesnt need as much power to pull as hard... that has been my experience.

Bang for the buck... for someone who doesnt work in the industry, I would say they are probably pretty close in that regard. The cars have similar prices when similarly equipped. Mods are pretty similarly priced, and they both need slightly different things addressed. I think you could accomplish the same thing within a few grand with either car...

That is, until you cross a platform's realistic potential. Like, if you want 800+rwhp and sub 1.5 60's, the 370z just is not a good platform for that. You would find yourself in no-mans land with no guidance or support because nobody has done it and very few of the people who buy that car would ever take a step in that direction further than hypothetical conversations.

For me, I can make a 370z faster for less money than the Mustang (up to that ceiling anyway)... but I am deep into the 370z scene.. a vendor to the forum and a manufacturer that has a part on almost every boosted 370z out there. In the mustang world, I am a nobody with no perks. I have paid retail prices for everything minus some things I was able to score through some universal distributors.

I have this Mustang because I believed that it be a middle ground between my Z and having to move to an AWD car (find me one I like, there are none). I was betting on it would either hook up better out of the box with a different IRS design, or that it would quickly be sorted in the aftermarket. I have to say that it has not fully met my expectations on what it is capable of putting down without moving to dedicated drag wheels and tires... but I feel like I am making progress in that direction and still hope to achieve my goal with more refinement.

ozracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0
phunk its early days with the IRS the next few years I think your experience will change with plenty of people doing stuff a greater pool of collective ideas and problem solving.

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Just placed an order from Lund Racing for their nGauge and custom tuning. My ID1000 are already here. Time to get the car back up on jackstands and build the return fuel system plumbing.

E85 time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Ill get an entirely different set of rear wheels and tires for this.

I honestly dont know how much power to expect, depends on how far lund wants to push it. He didnt like how hard my motor was being run on 93 and said he will be de-tuning my 93 tune. But for the E85 I dont know what he will feel is safe. If he pushes it as far as it will make power with this pulley, I am sure the car will do another 60-80hp with E85.. but he might not want to do that.

I will be happy to walk away another 25-30hp to just be on E85 and not have to worry about my motor as much. If it makes another 100hp, that would be cool too.

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Got my MT Street R's mounted to the darkstar rears. Hopefully my front darkstars arent going to take too much longer to get.

Made a bracket to hold my Fuelab regulator on the back of the Whipple blower.

I now have all the components for my fuel system build, so I might go ahead and put the car on jackstands tonight to begin making my new fuel pipes.
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Please sell the components! I think this'll be awesome!!
I will blueprint the entire thing so that this is an option. I can do crimped PTFE hoses on black aluminum fittings and stainless hard pipes.

I make fuel system kits for other vehicles all the time.. pre-made... not just the typical box'o'fittings and hose that most companies sell as a fuel system. I do everything all spec'd and tailor fit. But if I do produce batches of this, it would only be for Whipple cars. I would have to make changes for other setups.

This is what the production hoses I sell look like.
IMG_3046.JPG
Sponsored