Sponsored

Cylinder head temp question

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Hey guys got a bit of a worry here about my cylinder head temps. I sustained some front end damage by parking in a parking garage downtown. Someone smashed my front end and left. Im seeing CHT's sometimes at 215, and frequently over 200. Granted monitoring this yesterday it was 90 degrees outside but I was panicking a bit. I fear the front end damage might be causing the cooling system to hiccup.

I guess my question is should I be alarmed? on a 90 degree day I'm seeing CHT's hovering around 200 and going as high as 215, low as 185. Any help would be appreciated. Happy Friday and thanks in advance.
Sponsored

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
It's normal mine does the same thing usually sits around 205-210 on a 90 degree day.

Edit: Just realized you have an eco that I'm not sure.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Hey guys got a bit of a worry here about my cylinder head temps. I sustained some front end damage by parking in a parking garage downtown. Someone smashed my front end and left. Im seeing CHT's sometimes at 215, and frequently over 200. Granted monitoring this yesterday it was 90 degrees outside but I was panicking a bit. I fear the front end damage might be causing the cooling system to hiccup.

I guess my question is should I be alarmed? on a 90 degree day I'm seeing CHT's hovering around 200 and going as high as 215, low as 185. Any help would be appreciated. Happy Friday and thanks in advance.
Naw, that's normal. I've seen mine as high as 217, then it'll drop down 185. But that's idling at a light. Cruising on the highway at 70 on a 90 degree day, 200, 205, 207 is completely fine. That's normal.

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
That does seem to be a bit high, though. Mine only get that high when I'm racing the car pretty thoroughly. Otherwise, they stay around 180-190 typically (even in the FL Summer Heat).

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Mine stays around 200.. it only drops to 185 on a cool night.. in traffic I see 210+ at times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirty-EB-Chicago

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses guys. From the responses it appears I was tweaking a bit. Ill have to continue monitoring it for the time being. Any additional insight or input would be greatly appreciated.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Chicago, are you pp or nah? That's the difference in temps people will report. Pp cars will stay a little cooler.

OP
OP
Dirty-EB-Chicago

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chicago, are you pp or nah? That's the difference in temps people will report. Pp cars will stay a little cooler.
Oh jeez forgot to mention. I'm base model. its my understanding that the radiator on the PP is different?

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I had a a leak and had to have the expansion tank replaced. The system fluid was changed and it made about a 10 degree difference.

Check for leaks and flush your coolant every two years at least.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dirty-EB-Chicago

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a a leak and had to have the expansion tank replaced. The system fluid was changed and it made about a 10 degree difference.

Check for leaks and flush your coolant every two years at least.
Thanks for the tip I'm gonna have to investigate that this weekend. I'm not fully sure how to check for leaks on that system so I'm going to have to do some reading on it first.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Thanks for the tip I'm gonna have to investigate that this weekend. I'm not fully sure how to check for leaks on that system so I'm going to have to do some reading on it first.
Usually you'll see a pool under the car if its a larger one. Or you can check for crusty dried spots on tubing etc. If your levels still show good, i'd say you're probably pretty good seeing as you have a '16

OP
OP
Dirty-EB-Chicago

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually you'll see a pool under the car if its a larger one. Or you can check for crusty dried spots on tubing etc. If your levels still show good, i'd say you're probably pretty good seeing as you have a '16
no pooling under the car or anything, but checking the tubing and the connections would give me some piece of mind. Other people seeing temps similar to mine settled my panic. Feeling relieved now lol. Thank you everyone for helping, my stress is gone now.

PJB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Hey there Dirty, hope you are able to get your car fixed soon, I was seeing temps get near that sitting in traffic for over a couple of minutes so I pulled the whole shutter system out and temps dropped significantly to the normal 185 and will creep up to the high 190's sitting in traffic now and we are in the low to mid 90's for high's here with a lot of humidity, also turn your AC on when the temps go up and the fans will start dropping the temps. Hope I could be of some help.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Hey there Dirty, hope you are able to get your car fixed soon, I was seeing temps get near that sitting in traffic for over a couple of minutes so I pulled the whole shutter system out and temps dropped significantly to the normal 185 and will creep up to the high 190's sitting in traffic now and we are in the low to mid 90's for high's here with a lot of humidity, also turn your AC on when the temps go up and the fans will start dropping the temps. Hope I could be of some help.
And you'll know when your A/C Condensor goes bad! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sponsored