Sponsored

Any dyno graphs with Comp cr Stg 3 cams?

Gremlinsteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
727 roush
That low end on the graph looks horrible
Up to the point where the gains begin

How does it drive? Do you like it with the aluminum flywheel?
Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
That low end on the graph looks horrible
Up to the point where the gains begin

How does it drive? Do you like it with the aluminum flywheel?
Yes, that was the Ti-VCT limiters. This was on my S197, not my current S550. The S550s can run these cams without limiters, so the low end wouldn't look like that. I only contributed b/c no one else was posting; this is not apples-to-apples to what it would be like if you did the cams on your S550.

Even with the crap low end, the car drove fine. It was a freight train in the power band. It hurt a lot of feelings. If anything, no tq made it easier to catch traction. I went from blowing the tires off on the street to actually being able to get some rpm in it from a dig. 50 rolls were deadly. I loved the flywheel, though it was a little touchy to launch with at the strip. It was ideal in 'Mexico'.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
haha fair enough never thought of the lack of hp down low helping traction but you prolly do have a point there!

x2 on posting wish more people around here did NA builds. SVTperformance seems to be the only place with many NA coyote builds

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Newkidnik, nice setup! I keep seeing these cobra jet IM cars making such good power and times! I bet a S550 could make 470-480whp on a FBO car on e85 before cams. I just might work to prove it damn it! Was your drivablilty perfect with that setup, cold start up, idle, partial throttle when warming up as well as fully warmed up? The gt350 setup just doesn't seem to compete up top and the CJ doesn't seem to lose enough down low to deter me. Races aren't won at 2-4k rpm and mine is not a daily.

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Newkidnik, nice setup! I keep seeing these cobra jet IM cars making such good power and times! I bet a S550 could make 470-480whp on a FBO car on e85 before cams. I just might work to prove it damn it! Was your drivablilty perfect with that setup, cold start up, idle, partial throttle when warming up as well as fully warmed up? The gt350 setup just doesn't seem to compete up top and the CJ doesn't seem to lose enough down low to deter me. Races aren't won at 2-4k rpm and mine is not a daily.
Ive seen guys with GT350 manifolds making 470-475whp on E-85 and from what I've seen the Cobra Jet is worth 15-20whp or so over the GT350 if it tuned correctly. I'm aiming for as close to 500whp as I can get on E-85 with the cobrajet manifold and stock cams. Once I get it street tuned for drivability and maximum ignition timing I'll strap it down to a dyno for a couple hours while I maximize gains with OP VCT tuning.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Is that 470-475 with cams? I haven't seen one GT350 mani car with bolt ons and E85 make that much power. Most are in the neighborhood of 450.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Same here, I would love to see some of those dyno sheets. I have not seen one that high on a stock cam S550 on a dynojet SAE. Most I have seen so far is 463whp.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
haha fair enough never thought of the lack of hp down low helping traction but you prolly do have a point there!

x2 on posting wish more people around here did NA builds. SVTperformance seems to be the only place with many NA coyote builds
SVTP was the spot back in the S197 days. Lot of good info over there.

I was 460whp on 93, and I could for sure see the S550 (with better stock cams) get to those numbers on E85. No doubt. The CJ setup is key. Make sure to port it. There's a guy on SVTP that ported mine for ~$110. Made an extra 10whp. No brainer. Honestly, I don't recall the CJ setup losing any low end compared to the GT350 mani IF the dyno test was done with a timing curve optimized for the CJ. I know there were a couple of tests where the GT350 and the CJ were tested on the same timing to try and compare manifold to manifold.

With the monoblade and the RevAuto tune, everything about the car was spot on from cold start, etc. I never had any surging or weirdness. AED tuned it when it was FBO and it was also perfect. In fact, it was perfect on initial start on the 'base' tune. I was shocked.

AED ran about .2 quicker and trapped 2mph more with an unported + twin 67mm CJ over the GT350 (take out the space after svtperformance. - can't remember if this forum gets pissy about stuff like that):
https://www.svtperformance. com/2016/12/22/video-drag-strip-results-cobra-jet-vs-gt350-manifold/

Video of GT350 vs. CJ at the track:
[ame]

It's a shame AED isn't on this site, but sponsorship costs money. His N/A auto S550 just went a 10.74@126 with bolt-ons:
[ame]

Ive seen guys with GT350 manifolds making 470-475whp on E-85 and from what I've seen the Cobra Jet is worth 15-20whp or so over the GT350 if it tuned correctly. I'm aiming for as close to 500whp as I can get on E-85 with the cobrajet manifold and stock cams. Once I get it street tuned for drivability and maximum ignition timing I'll strap it down to a dyno for a couple hours while I maximize gains with OP VCT tuning.
It's all in the tune! And yes, I haven't seen the GT350 guys make as much. The CJ is ideal for optimal power numbers on these cars. IMO, at ALL rpm points. Shame one needs to use shorter motor mounts to run it.

OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Same here, I would love to see some of those dyno sheets. I have not seen one that high on a stock cam S550 on a dynojet SAE. Most I have seen so far is 463whp.
Yea I'm at 458 sae on flex with Ported gt350 intake and headers.
Kinda lame because I didn't do it on a nice air day. Months before I was 456 sae on 93 without porting and smaller injectors. I'm sure I'm close to 470 in reality because I started at 440 and ended with 458 on a bad day. That's a good gain from flex and port work

Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Yea I'm at 458 sae on flex with Ported gt350 intake and headers.
Kinda lame because I didn't do it on a nice air day. Months before I was 456 sae on 93 without porting and smaller injectors. I'm sure I'm close to 470 in reality because I started at 440 and ended with 458 on a bad day. That's a good gain from flex and port work
Are you happy with where you are with those mods? If you had to do it all over again, would you?

OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Are you happy with where you are with those mods? If you had to do it all over again, would you?
I am yea. I want cams now which is why I made this thread lol. My car beat a friends FBO cj 2014 on the street before when I was on 93 so its decent.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
I am yea. I want cams now which is why I made this thread lol. My car beat a friends FBO cj 2014 on the street before when I was on 93 so its decent.
This'll sound bad because of all of the AED hate, but he also collaborated with L&M engines to make an intake-only cam that shows NO low-end loss and is obviously cheaper than replacing four cams. IIRC, running stock springs is also fine with this cam. Maybe do the OPGs/crank sprocket/ATI Damper and this at the same time? Nice little stealth cam (won't lope). Do you have any driveline mods such as an RST+flywheel or a CF driveshaft?

From AED: As some may have been following, I've been working with Michael at L&M Engines on an intake cam profile to gain power at RPM without sacrificing any low/midrange power. Together we've come up with a unique camshaft that gains power with no compromises. No loss of power at any RPM, no valve float at high RPM with stock valve springs, no loss of drivability, easy to tune, and FULL VCT movement allowed.

This cam is just a few degrees larger in duration with the same 11MM lift as a stock GT cam.

The kicker here is we did not test this cam against a stock GT camshaft, we tested it against a BOSS 13MM camshaft. Yes, we GAINED power with 2MM LESS lift simply by adjusting the valve events to a more ideal location while still allowing FULL VCT movement without using an aggressive lobe profile. (IE no valve float or issues with boost)

AED is fully supporting tuning of this intake cam in all NA and Boosted applications, however if you want to use your current tuner that should not be a problem. This cam drives/idles like stock and tuning was extremely straight forward, nothing like dialing in Comp Stage 3's. Just a few TiVCT changes are needed to extract maximum power.

For reference this car has an Aluminator XS engine with full exhaust and a Tremec Manual trans.

Below are the dyno graphs. I've posted 2 as we had a torque spike show up in the Graph VS RPM (happens sometimes due to dyno software) that does not show up on the Graph VS Speed.
Pre-cam dyno pulls were done the day of the cam swap. We strapped the car down, warmed it up and made a few pulls. The highest power graph is posted for comparison against the L&M Intake cam graph.

Anybody looking to order these cams please contact L&M. Currently they are special order items and take a few weeks to be ground/shipped.
vfdtl3.jpg

So not huge gains, but also no losses. Just an idea. Either something like this or the Stage 3's will be a lot of fun. If you haven't already, do the efficiency mods. They're worth it as well (clutch/flywheel + DS). When I did the same set of mods on my S197 it picked up 3 cars on my buddy's G8 GT. It was crazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
This'll sound bad because of all of the AED hate, but he also collaborated with L&M engines to make an intake-only cam that shows NO low-end loss and is obviously cheaper than replacing four cams. IIRC, running stock springs is also fine with this cam. Maybe do the OPGs/crank sprocket/ATI Damper and this at the same time? Nice little stealth cam (won't lope). Do you have any driveline mods such as an RST+flywheel or a CF driveshaft?

vfdtl3.jpg

So not huge gains, but also no losses. Just an idea. Either something like this or the Stage 3's will be a lot of fun. If you haven't already, do the efficiency mods. They're worth it as well (clutch/flywheel + DS). When I did the same set of mods on my S197 it picked up 3 cars on my buddy's G8 GT. It was crazy.
I've actually been in contact with Shaun and don't have any issues with him. He also works very closely with the shop that had tuned my car.
I have full ARH exhaust, rst and shaftmasters ds.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
SVTP was the spot back in the S197 days. Lot of good info over there.

I was 460whp on 93, and I could for sure see the S550 (with better stock cams) get to those numbers on E85. No doubt. The CJ setup is key. Make sure to port it. There's a guy on SVTP that ported mine for ~$110. Made an extra 10whp. No brainer. Honestly, I don't recall the CJ setup losing any low end compared to the GT350 mani IF the dyno test was done with a timing curve optimized for the CJ. I know there were a couple of tests where the GT350 and the CJ were tested on the same timing to try and compare manifold to manifold.

With the monoblade and the RevAuto tune, everything about the car was spot on from cold start, etc. I never had any surging or weirdness. AED tuned it when it was FBO and it was also perfect. In fact, it was perfect on initial start on the 'base' tune. I was shocked.

AED ran about .2 quicker and trapped 2mph more with an unported + twin 67mm CJ over the GT350 (take out the space after svtperformance. - can't remember if this forum gets pissy about stuff like that):
https://www.svtperformance. com/2016/12/22/video-drag-strip-results-cobra-jet-vs-gt350-manifold/

Video of GT350 vs. CJ at the track:

It's a shame AED isn't on this site, but sponsorship costs money. His N/A auto S550 just went a 10.74@126 with bolt-ons:

It's all in the tune! And yes, I haven't seen the GT350 guys make as much. The CJ is ideal for optimal power numbers on these cars. IMO, at ALL rpm points. Shame one needs to use shorter motor mounts to run it.
No need just Cut the rear part of the hood skeleton and remove the hood liner. Hood liner rubs the CJ and boss removing it adds almost 1/2" of clearance in some areas.
Sponsored