CEL P0313 - Misfire with low fuel

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
well nevertheless my brother would be doing the tests for me. hes certifried mechanic. im only decent with my hands cause i learn from him as i go.

zero chance of warranty if i dont uninstall EVERYTHING right?
That's not always exact and is very subjective. Some dealers are less strict. We've heard of people going in with Full Bolt Ons and a tune and the dealer works with them. However, I think that is very rare and sometimes it is out of the dealer's hands. With something as major as a blown engine, the dealer would upload data from the ECU and Ford would make the decision. They can see if it was tuned. Some with the slightest mod are refused warranty service and rightfully so by the terms.

To start with, there is a Ford Job Aid that has the technician inspect the car for things like aftermarket DV/BoV, WGA, even stickers for signs of modifications. If so, that will increase the chance of looking deeper. Within the job aid, the technician will look at a counter to see how many ignition cycles there has been since the last flash of the ECU. If you have 15k miles and started your car 4 times, it would be obvious you just flashed your ECU. I'm told but can't verify that Ford can see more than that with the uploaded data from the dealer.

If it ends up coming out of your pocket and you REALLY want that extra power, I would highly suggest going with an aftermarket build. I know at least a couple of our supporting vendors here provide some very stout engines at a good price and can help with the tuning and get you to the power level you want.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
That's not always exact and is very subjective. Some dealers are less strict. We've heard of people going in with Full Bolt Ons and a tune and the dealer works with them. However, I think that is very rare and sometimes it is out of the dealer's hands. With something as major as a blown engine, the dealer would upload data from the ECU and Ford would make the decision. They can see if it was tuned. Some with the slightest mod are refused warranty service and rightfully so by the terms.

To start with, there is a Ford Job Aid that has the technician inspect the car for things like aftermarket DV/BoV, WGA, even stickers for signs of modifications. If so, that will increase the chance of looking deeper. Within the job aid, the technician will look at a counter to see how many ignition cycles there has been since the last flash of the ECU. If you have 15k miles and started your car 4 times, it would be obvious you just flashed your ECU. I'm told but can't verify that Ford can see more than that with the uploaded data from the dealer.

If it ends up coming out of your pocket and you REALLY want that extra power, I would highly suggest going with an aftermarket build. I know at least a couple of our supporting vendors here provide some very stout engines at a good price and can help with the tuning and get you to the power level you want.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.
I was told to run the ignition cycle like 250 times before going after uninstalling everything.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Looking at those plugs I would be very worried. They do not look good.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any updates?

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Any updates?
after talking to a few mechanics their suggestions are that the flake on cylinder 3's plug is most likely factory thread shavings that werent removed properly from tapping the hole, or possibly a threadlocker but not likely. They suggested it is more likely gas congealed on the plugs (maybe mixed with a little bit of oil). I was instructed to clean the plugs completely and reinstall them to see if i continue having the issue. currently its misfiring because the plugs werent firing which could be because they were drenched obviously. one way or another, i'm just going to put in new denso's from Tune+ to be safe with my testing. hopefully it clears everything up. if not potentially a coil issue or maybe a catch can issue if it ends up being oil... Mechanics all said it was very unlikely that the stuff on plug 3 came from the cylinder nor the piston. We shall see. and i will keep everyone updated as i progress. plugs come in 1/19.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
So I cleaned my plugs and put them back in. Everything seems to be okay. Adams pre gapped denso a are coming in today so I'll put them in before I tighten everything back down. My next question becomes what's next? By that I mean am I just putting the plugs in and waiting for it to happen again? Do I just never go down to low fuel and hope that was actually the issue? Idk.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
So I cleaned my plugs and put them back in. Everything seems to be okay. Adams pre gapped denso a are coming in today so I'll put them in before I tighten everything back down. My next question becomes what's next? By that I mean am I just putting the plugs in and waiting for it to happen again? Do I just never go down to low fuel and hope that was actually the issue? Idk.
Short answer is yes. The low fuel had nothing to do with it though, just coincidence. Put the plugs and check their condition periodically.

How long did you have the other plugs in there? They seem to need replacing after about 10-15k miles. You're running 1 step colder plugs in colder weather now, how do you drive? If it's a lot of short trips where the car isn't warming up and you aren't getting on it much, maybe the plugs are fouling? Either way, watch the plugs closely, they will tell the story.

What have you done for a CC and the oil separator?

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Short answer is yes. The low fuel had nothing to do with it though, just coincidence. Put the plugs and check their condition periodically.

How long did you have the other plugs in there? They seem to need replacing after about 10-15k miles. You're running 1 step colder plugs in colder weather now, how do you drive? If it's a lot of short trips where the car isn't warming up and you aren't getting on it much, maybe the plugs are fouling? Either way, watch the plugs closely, they will tell the story.

What have you done for a CC and the oil separator?
Car is still brand new. 7500 miles on it. My one way trip to work takes between 30 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. I don't have the colder lugs in yet these ones are the stock plugs with 7500 on them (cold plugs going in tonight). Not gonna lie, i drive aggressively but thats why i bought a performance car not a prius. I have a UPR DVCC that was installed around 7100 miles or so.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Car is still brand new. 7500 miles on it. My one way trip to work takes between 30 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. I don't have the colder lugs in yet these ones are the stock plugs with 7500 on them (cold plugs going in tonight). Not gonna lie, i drive aggressively but thats why i bought a performance car not a prius. I have a UPR DVCC that was installed around 7100 miles or so.
That's all good. I was more worried if you had 1 step colder plugs and you weren't letting the engine get warm and maybe driving around with an egg between your foot and the gas pedal (lol, old 70s joke) trying to get 34 mpg.

The plugs certainly shouldn't have given out that quick. I would double check that CC setup and install. I remember there was some confusion from some about the direction and function of the check valves. That's just WAY too much oil. How much oil is the CC collecting?

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
That's all good. I was more worried if you had 1 step colder plugs and you weren't letting the engine get warm and maybe driving around with an egg between your foot and the gas pedal (lol, old 70s joke) trying to get 34 mpg.

The plugs certainly shouldn't have given out that quick. I would double check that CC setup and install. I remember there was some confusion from some about the direction and function of the check valves. That's just WAY too much oil. How much oil is the CC collecting?
it hasnt been installed for very long. i plan on emptying it later today when i swap the plugs just to check. I'm 99% sure its installed properly but who knows i guess. i followed an instruction video.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
it hasnt been installed for very long. i plan on emptying it later today when i swap the plugs just to check. I'm 99% sure its installed properly but who knows i guess. i followed an instruction video.
Search around on the forum here. A while ago there was a lot of talk about people getting the check valve backwards and causing problems. The fact that it hasn't been on that long would make me start there. First rule is, "what changed"?

Actually, contact UPR, they provide great support and are supporting members here. They've been very helpful.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Search around on the forum here. A while ago there was a lot of talk about people getting the check valve backwards and causing problems. The fact that it hasn't been on that long would make me start there. First rule is, "what changed"?

Actually, contact UPR, they provide great support and are supporting members here. They've been very helpful.

Yes of course. What changed indeed. I've worked with uprevan before and a couple other people there. All wonderful. Nevertheless I don't think it's installed wrong but I'll check again.

Update. Adams cold plugs came in I took the stock plugs back out and cylinders 2 and 3 were drenched again. No flakes though. It smells like gas but it looks like oil so idk. Car only ran for about 5 minutes or so after cleaning the plugs the previous night. I checked the catch can. There was oil in it but not much. I'll try to upload the picture but it almost never works on my phone.
image.jpg

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Also for the record I checked my charge pipes and there is no oil at all going into the throttle body.

And one more thing. What the heck is the connector on the intake. That drips oil like crazy
image.jpg

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Do a leak down test and a compression test. You said your brother is a mechanic hopefully he will help you with it

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Do a leak down test and a compression test. You said your brother is a mechanic hopefully he will help you with it
the only issue is that he literally signed papers for buying a house like the day after this happened so its been kinda hard to track him down. hes super busy. when he ahs the chance he will though.
Sponsored