Changed the Clutch Spring.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I think the Steeda spring is just about perfect. Just the right amount of weight to the pedal, and none of that overdone push back right before the engagement point that makes being smooth in this car so difficult.
Agree 100%...I learned to drive on a manual and drove them for 20+ years before going to an auto for my last two cars. When I got back in my '16 GTw/PP I thought I had forgotten how to drive a manual I was so jerky. Replaced the spring the first week I had her and viola....I DID remember how to drive a stick, it was that crap ass spring giving me fits.
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I've been driving a MT for over 40 years. (Yup - I even learned on one. It was a "three-on-the-tree" 1963 Plymouth) And smooth shifting is my specialty; I even had it nailed in the handful of 50's -era army jeeps I used to drive in the service. But I have had zero success in trying to smoothly engage the clutch in my EB...and I've had it for nearly a year. The pull-away isn't too bad, but it's horrible between 1st & 2nd, and after that it's no longer an issue. But it's embarrassing to jerk & lurch coming off the white line nearly every time. So I have to ask:

Is this magical spring intended to reduce this specific problem? Because...

The force that engages and maintains the clutch disc against the flywheel is provided by the ring of springs on the clutch plate. So as I understand it, the spring on the pedal only assists in returning the pedal to it's highest position. (I'm still unclear exactly why this little spring was deemed necessary, as the clutch springs are hellishly powerful on their own, but...) If indeed the goal in installing an aftermarket pedal spring is because it is weaker -- therefore pushing UP less than the stock spring -- it makes no sense that it would increase the push-down force(?)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've been driving a MT for over 40 years. (Yup - I even learned on one. It was a "three-on-the-tree" 1963 Plymouth) And smooth shifting is my specialty; I even had it nailed in the handful of 50's -era army jeeps I used to drive in the service. But I have had zero success in trying to smoothly engage the clutch in my EB...and I've had it for nearly a year. The pull-away isn't too bad, but it's horrible between 1st & 2nd, and after that it's no longer an issue. But it's embarrassing to jerk & lurch coming off the white line nearly every time. So I have to ask:

Is this magical spring intended to reduce this specific problem? Because...

The force that engages and maintains the clutch disc against the flywheel is provided by the ring of springs on the clutch plate. So as I understand it, the spring on the pedal only assists in returning the pedal to it's highest position. (I'm still unclear exactly why this little spring was deemed necessary, as the clutch springs are hellishly powerful on their own, but...) If indeed the goal in installing an aftermarket pedal spring is because it is weaker -- therefore pushing UP less than the stock spring -- it makes no sense that it would increase the push-down force(?)
The mechanism isn't strictly assist. It has an inflection point. The first say, 1/4 to 1/3 of the travel, you're actually compressing the spring, so it has a firmer effort. After the inflection point, it starts releasing the spring, assisting you to push it the rest of the way down. The problem is, the clutch bite point is pretty much exactly at that inflection point. Removing the spring or going to the much, much lighter Steeda spring allows you to feel the bite point without a change in pedal effort through the travel, outside of the resistance from the hydraulic system.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Yes, spring is magical! I drove about 20K miles without any spring and bought the Steeda spring. Glad I did. Just do it.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
The mechanism isn't strictly assist. <snip>...outside of the resistance from the hydraulic system.
Very thoughtful - thank you.

And to Scott:
Please describe your pedal movement and shifting smoothness before & after the addition of the spring. Be wordy. :)

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
first thing i did when i got my car home was do that spring . least now it feels like a clutch. ive had manuals for over 25 yrs and the stock clutch on these cars felt like it had nothing behind it. its been on for 7k miles now, its how it should have came from the factory

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
I just put my Steeda spring in last week after going about 1300 miles with the stock one. I was a bit worried I wouldn't like the switch. Turns out I love it. Much better feel and smoother shifts for me. Do it!

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I know - it's just me. Sometimes I have to be hit over the head before I comprehend something. I have read post after post after post that essentially says:

"Wow - this is great! So smooth! 'Wish I'd done it sooner! How it shoulda been!" Et cetera.

So - clearly something is very different, because so many guys make statements like that.

But I have yet to read a quantitative post. What is so smooth? What was non-smooth (or less smooth) than it is now? What were the exact symptoms before the change? How bad was it? How often? Did others notice it too? When? Did other people drive your car and comment on the problem? Has anyone else driven your car since you made the switch? Did they notice a difference too?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I know - it's just me. Sometimes I have to be hit over the head before I comprehend something. I have read post after post after post that essentially says:

"Wow - this is great! So smooth! 'Wish I'd done it sooner! How it shoulda been!" Et cetera.

So - clearly something is very different, because so many guys make statements like that.

But I have yet to read a quantitative post. What is so smooth? What was non-smooth (or less smooth) than it is now? What were the exact symptoms before the change? How bad was it? How often? Did others notice it too? When? Did other people drive your car and comment on the problem? Has anyone else driven your car since you made the switch? Did they notice a difference too?
Let me tell you this, as an engineer: you're over-thinking this. No one is quantifying this because it's an inherently subjective thing, nor does it need to be.

The bottom line is this: you can feel the bite point and modulate the clutch much more precisely because of the improvement in feel. This leads to smoother takeoffs and smoother shifts because of the removed inflection point in the pedal travel.

Just remove the spring and/or replace it with the Steeda one. You won't regret it.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Best mod to date...well that and jacking rails.

Sponsored

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
+1, really effective mod for the reasons [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] mentioned.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Bought my '16 GT in October 2015, after owning a number of manuals in a row. I was aware of people saying the clutch felt light, the take up didn't feel very linear, it was hard to feel the engagement point.

I waited to check it out myself. My car was delivered on Saturday, by Monday, I had removed the clutch assist spring :D

There wasn't an aftermarket option for a quite a while, when it was released I just put off ordering one - but I continued to feel like no spring was just a bit too much effort. The Steeda spring gives you the perfect feeling/feedback, with what I think is just about the perfect amount of assist.

Feel, 1 = Crappy, Effort, 1 = Lowest

STOCK
Feel 1
Effort 1

NONE
Feel 4
Effort 5

STEEDA
Feel 5 (the overall feel is about the same, the slightly reduced effort lets you be a little more precise)
Effort 3

No question, best mod ever. Plus, it's $15, how can you go wrong?

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
I pulled the trigger and ordered the clutch spring and oil separator, will be here tomorrow!!

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I also pulled the trigger and ordered the clutch spring. I'll be picking it up on the 26th!

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I agree, this spring is a huge improvement. As a new owner, but older guy who has owned several manual trans. vehicles, I was starting to think I had some sort of mental issue as I was struggling after a month to not start / shift like a complete amateur. I am glad I happened on this thread, in this forum!!!
Sponsored