Dealer unplugged dashcam

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Picked up my other Ford from my local Ford dealer recently. Some way down the road I realised the dash cam was unplugged. What hacked me off most was not that it was unplugged but that they had forgotten to plug it back in. They may not realise that it records for a reasonable period even after unplugging. Anybody had the same?
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
How is it powered?:)

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
When I went in for a service with Lookers recently they said my dashcam would have to be switched off. I told them if that's the case I'll take it elsewhere to have it done, they quickly changed their mind. If you have nothing to hide then there is no problem. I have no interest in watching footage back unless I feel there may be an issue to look at. I stood and watched them work on my car from the workshop window just in case. The service I received was very good in the end.

Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Some dealerships are touchy about it over here too.
bef8de4ae052d2ecc29e2c50f198819a?width=650.jpg
If you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem.

That would be fine by me... would just take the car to another garage!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What is this world coming to? How long before a driver gets sued for filming a bunch of school kids crossing the road?

Fucking ridiculous this planet. Really is.

I think as an owner of a car, you have every right to film in a garage. As said, if they have nothing to hide, then what is the problem?

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
When I went in for a service with Lookers recently they said my dashcam would have to be switched off. I told them if that's the case I'll take it elsewhere to have it done, they quickly changed their mind. If you have nothing to hide then there is no problem. I have no interest in watching footage back unless I feel there may be an issue to look at. I stood and watched them work on my car from the workshop window just in case. The service I received was very good in the end.
I agree with this. My dashcam is always connected when my car is anywhere for service. I assume they disconnect it; maybe they don't. I've never felt the need to check as the service has always been of a high standard.

Some things you just don't need to know... ;)

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Had never thought about the use of a dash cam to ensure they bother to change the oil filter. Nice idea
I strongly suspect in my first service it wasn't changed so now I'm marking mine before putting them on

Ricketts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Sponsored

shivatastic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dunk
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2015 Mustang GT
Shouldnt matter anyways as the bonnet should be up when they are servicing it. Thereby blocking the camera.

The only time it should be able to record anything useful is when out on a test drive, and the garage should consider it an additional safety measure for their staff.

OP
OP
slowhand99

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Have you looked at the footage? that would piss me right off!!
There wasn't any. They switched it off as well. What pissed me off was not telling/asking me and not plugging it back in. My new Thinkware dashcam would probably be damaged if you unplug in situ as it has front and rear plugged in and it's tight under the rear view mirror.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
I wish they would build them into car and integrate the central screen. Front, rear, left and right cameras all wired up in the factory and recording within the Sync 3.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Dealers can reserve the right to require dash cams to be off (private property). And if they did not consent to being recorded (the individual mechanic) he/she may refuse to work on the vehicle. I don't believe they are allowed to actually unplug it, technically, but the tech probably did so so he can go about his business fixing your car.

Please note: the instances of dealer abuse of cars is extraordinarily rare. Make a good relationship with your service adviser - be a buddy, offer something to them. Even asking them for advise on something or buying an oil change from them once (which they make money off of for their kids...) is going to help. Worth it for a little piece of mind. Or, hell, offer to take them out for a beer and be honest saying you're doing so because you have a little anxiety about leaving your car a dealers with all the stories these days and just want to get on his/her good side. Those sorts of things. People are running these shops, not robots who follow computer coded rules.
Sponsored