In the Market: GT350, 17' ZL1, or C7Z

OP
OP

Codybby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6Z,GMC 2500HD
Instead of ZL1 I would go Camaro 1LE and instead of ZO6 I would go Grand Sport or the GT350. This is if you are going to track the car then NA for the win IMHO YMMV :D

Peter

No tracking for me, the grand sport is on my radar though :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Codybby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6Z,GMC 2500HD
Corvette is awesome- i'm a snob though so that means the only American car i'm interested in is the one with the 526hp Flat Plane Crank V8 - otherwise go Porsche.
I was looking at a 718 cayman but when you add options the price skyrockets

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Grand Sport if all you need is 2 seats.

If 4 is more convenient then GT350.

Visibility out of the Camaro plus the Toyota Corolla tail lights and funky teen design wouldn't put it on my radar even though the ZL1 should outperform the GT350. In addition the rear seats in the Camaro are nearly useless for anything human having a heartbeat.

If you track a lot then toss up between Grand Sport and GT350. Vette will be faster but winding out the FPC to 8k is awesome.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I would probably get a Z-28 or 1LE Camaro. If you are looking JUST for a fun Sunday driver, what about a lightly used Boss?

Dave

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hey everyone, first post here on the forums. I'm about to be in the market for a new weekend warrior/sunny day grocery getter once I sell my car.

I currently have a C6Z but before that I had a 13' GT500.

At the moment the top 3 cars I'm interested in is the GT350,ZL1, and Z06. I've also debated a Gen V Viper but with the end of production I'm afraid of future part availability and support.

Surely some of you GT350 owners cross-shopped some of these before going with the Shelby, any thoughts that helped you come to your decision?
Since you aren't going to track the car I would look more at the ZL1. It will launch better than a GT350. You can drive a base Camaro and see if you like the interior and ergonomics. Corvette styling is pretty good, but the car mag guys don't really like the Z06 so much.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Z06 was a bit out of my price range. Picked up a new 15 Z51 2LT for 60K and put an ECS supercharger, Methanol Injection, headers and a tune and I could walk a Z06. Total out the door, including labor, was 71k for 696 RWHP and 623 ft lbs of TQ. I was running 9.9 lbs of boost on 93 octane. I did not have a warranty though.

After 18 months and about 10k miles, a guy in work was looking at Z06's and I let him drive mine. He made me an offer I could not refuse. Not sure what happened after that as I saw my car on eBay for 60k a few weeks ago.

All that said, I'm happier in my GT350. The Corvette is a great car but I'm a Mustang guy at heart. I've had 5 Mustangs. I still have my 93 Anniversary Corvette in Ruby Red but I can't get in and out of that easily anymore so my son drives it.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
i judge a car on 5 things:

performance, reliability, price, looks, and practicality. GT350 is the only car that hits it out of the park with all 5, especially the performance part.

Can't see out of the Camaro nor put anything in its trunk really so chalk one up for practicality to the GT350,

Z06 is a good car just like a GT350 is a good car but isn't very good when you need to carry a 3rd person in a pinch or parallel park it in a tight NYC parking spot (you will always be too low to open the doors on the curb side while being too wide compared to other cars - hello inattentive cyclists)

But thats my situation

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Save for a while and pick up the mid engine vette. 6.2L 600 HP NA and 3200 LBS

Other than that I'd do the grand sport, 350, Z06, then Camaro stuff. Never liked the Camaro coffin feel and never though much of a viper.

OP
OP

Codybby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6Z,GMC 2500HD
Save for a while and pick up the mid engine vette. 6.2L 600 HP NA.
oooo that's tempting, is there an ETA on a reveal for these? I could wait and see what's on the horizon, the mid-engine chevy, possible gt500, dodge demon, etc

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
C7Z is going to be quite a bit more expensive than the other two. They MRSP from $80 to 110k. Even if you get some sweet deal you're still talking $10-15k more than the other 2 easily. Invoice on the base Z06 is still $74k.

The ZL1 base price is $63k (with a $1k rebate right now).

The GT350 will be the cheapest of the 3 and run right at $60k with 1 of the 2 packages (electronics/convenience).

Iconic pretty special flat plane crank Shelby vs teenager transformer looking Camaro should be an easy choice.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
oooo that's tempting, is there an ETA on a reveal for these? I could wait and see what's on the horizon, the mid-engine chevy, possible gt500, dodge demon, etc
May as well wait...you never know what may win your heart.
They are talking about a reveal later this year, possibly early next for the ME.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Right, I've looked at the C7Z and they are absolutely wicked no doubt it's just that the price is a bit prohibitive. I'd have to spend more than I'd like too and it'll still only be the base trim. Ground clearance is another issue, I drive my cars a lot and hate scraping the underside. I've had 2 vettes before and there's always that one slope that's going to scrape no matter what angle you hit it.
I agree with your thinking here. The C7 GS or C7Z wins hands down from a performance standpoint, but they're price prohibitive IMHO. I was seriously looking at a C7 w/Z51 package vs the GT350 when I was shopping, but ended up staying with the Mustang. I think they are very much comparable, performance wise, but a nicely equipped Z51 C7 2LT lists for over 10K more than the GT350.

The new ZL1 is faster, but I just couldn't buy a Camaro.

Get the GT350. You'll be happy.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
You can get a C7 Grand Sport from Kerbeck in New Jersey for $59k when NOT equipped with the carbon brakes.

If I wasn't married with two kids I would probably have it as a third car right now at that price. :D

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I agree with your thinking here. The C7 GS or C7Z wins hands down from a performance standpoint, but they're price prohibitive IMHO.
If buying used is an option, there are currently a few 2015 C7 Z06's with relatively low miles on CarMax in the high $60k range... :ninja:
Sponsored