Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Same here...broke 3rd as well. I swapped in another MT82 and am not speed shifting anymore. Plan on Ben doing my broken one as well. Which option did you go with from Ben?
I went with his stage 2 build that includes cryo treated and rim polished gears.

Although he has already warned me that no amount of gear strengthening will keep my gears absolutely safe. He said eventually 3rd or 4th will go again with the RXT. I'm going to try to change how I drive it (easier said than done though)

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I went with his stage 2 build that includes cryo treated and rim polished gears.

Although he has already warned me that no amount of gear strengthening will keep my gears absolutely safe. He said eventually 3rd or 4th will go again with the RXT. I'm going to try to change how I drive it (easier said than done though)
Yeah..I think that has a lot to do with it. I talked to Derek at Leathal about this when I broke mine last year. They swear by the RXT and if you watch some of their UTubes they are not easy on that car...and its a stock MT82. He noted they have a VERY GOOD driver mod.. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
For what it is worth, I have a RXT and recently broke 3rd gear. I am having Ben C rebuild my trans. he recommends switching to the RST but I am going to keep my RXT and hope that it holds up.

If i were doing it over i would probably start with an RST but not worth swapping it to me.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of hearing, haha. I bought a McLeod RXT and lightened steel flywheel over Christmas because they had an awesome sale going on. The plan is that once the stock clutch starts dying I'll throw that in there. Kind of wondering if I shouldn't just go with the RST instead since mine is a street car that is daily driven. I do get on the car every once in a while, but don't abuse it. I could take my car to the track one day, but don't have any plans to at the moment.

It does seem like the MT82's breaking have a lot to do with how they are shifted. I'd like to think that I'd be okay, even with the RXT because I don't powershift or even really speedshift, but who knows.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How about a McLeod twin disc, ceramic, with spring hub

AM lists the Centerforce DYAD:
Holds up to 1300 ft/lbs of Torque (at the Flywheel)
Fully Dampened System Designed for High Power Levels
This not only provides excellent driver control, but increases the longevity of your Mustang's transmission; when compared to standard rigid center hub discs.

S550_Matt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium PP GT
I wanted to try it until I saw the price. Near 2000$ for a clutch that has no testing time in civilian hands.
I believe the 600 HP one is about $1700? (Still Crazy Expensive though :eyebulge:) Just curious since it brings the Flywheel and Slave Cylinder. Looks really nice.

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
How about a McLeod twin disc, ceramic, with spring hub

AM lists the Centerforce DYAD:
Holds up to 1300 ft/lbs of Torque (at the Flywheel)
Fully Dampened System Designed for High Power Levels
This not only provides excellent driver control, but increases the longevity of your Mustang's transmission; when compared to standard rigid center hub discs.
Hmmm, now you have me thinking. It is quite a bit more expensive, but I wonder if that's for a reason.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hmmm, now you have me thinking. It is quite a bit more expensive, but I wonder if that's for a reason.
It looks similar price to McLeod. I am not recommending any particular clutch. I just thought that ceramic clutch with springs would be a good compromise. I am not sure that the centerforce is ceramic clutch but I assume it is if they are advertising 1300 lb ft.

On AM, there is Exedy ceramic single disc clutches with springs. I don't know if those will be heavier clutch peddle.

Exedy Mach 600 Stage 4 Clutch w/ Hydraulic Throwout Bearing (15-17 GT)

•753 Ft-lbs of Torque @ Flywheel

And all of Exedy's discs feature spring center dampers to reduce drivetrain shock and to protect your transmission from wear and tear

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
if people are going 100k miles boosted on stock clutch(not all of course) i would have the think a street clutch or at least an RST at $700 can handle it.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
That's very true but the only person with one in the mustang is YoLo dbag lol.
the guys from mustang lifestyle just installed one as well.. they are also VMP affiliate

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
We've been running McLeod twin disk clutches on our cars for about 7 years now so we've got a lot of experience with them. We've use them on our 2010 GT500, 2013 GT500, 2011 GT, 2012 Boss, 2015 GT, 2015 Ecoboost, 2016 GT350 and have sold more of them than any other vendor on this forum. The RST is a great clutch and will handle a lot of power however it's not going to withstand the abuse from drag racing for too long as it's an organic material that doesn't like to get hot.

That's typically why we recommend going with the RXT especially on a blown application. The RXT has the same pedal feel as the RST and drives great. Most important is that it will handle the abuse at the track or on the street without ruining the clutch.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to give me a shout.
Sponsored