GT350 FORScan Tweaks

jtn83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I made the changes to the tranny temp, double horn honk, and augmented engine noise this weekend. I had it hooked up to a battery charger while I did it. The changes seem to have all taken, but when I start the car it says "starting system fault" after it starts. The car seems to operate just fine, but I'm a little disconcerted about it displaying starting system fault every time I start it. Has anyone else seen this or have any idea what could cause this? I suppose this could be an unrelated issue, but it's odd it happened at the same time I made the changes.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
I made the changes to the tranny temp, double horn honk, and augmented engine noise this weekend. I had it hooked up to a battery charger while I did it. The changes seem to have all taken, but when I start the car it says "starting system fault" after it starts. The car seems to operate just fine, but I'm a little disconcerted about it displaying starting system fault every time I start it. Has anyone else seen this or have any idea what could cause this? I suppose this could be an unrelated issue, but it's odd it happened at the same time I made the changes.
When you first connect to the car with Forscan, it should scan each module and show any DTC codes. Are there any there (should be in the log file from when you first started)?

jtn83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
When you first connect to the car with Forscan, it should scan each module and show any DTC codes. Are there any there (should be in the log file from when you first started)?
Thanks! Will go back and check when I get off work today. Just noticed it this morning when I was leaving for work. Assuming there aren't any codes or issues with the module, could this be a PATS issue? Should I just take it to the dealer?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks! Will go back and check when I get off work today. Just noticed it this morning when I was leaving for work. Assuming there aren't any codes or issues with the module, could this be a PATS issue? Should I just take it to the dealer?

[MENTION=27497]kartguy898[/MENTION] advice seems spot on. Another option could be to go back and reverse your changes one by one to see if it clears. I've attempted to disable my Engine Sound Enhancement a couple of times and my sat radio cuts out each time. I plug in the old info and the sat radio comes back.

I'd caution against going to the dealer at this early stage in figuring it out... Maybe I'm a bit too cautious but why bring this to your dealer's attention if it's easily reversed/resolved. They're gonna ask questions, pry, etc....

Good luck :cheers:

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
I finally got around to some "tweaking" using the posted instructions. I was successful in deleting sound enhancement, double horn when exiting, and added the red splash screen and trans. temp to my gauges. But for some reason, I can't disable the seat belt chimes. I've tried with forscan and with the instructions in the owners manual. Each time, I get the 4 blinks at the end, which is the acknowledgement of a successful change. However, it still chimes. Any ideas?
This is what I did and it worked for me (sorry if it's exactly what you did, just posting in case you missed a step maybe?): Per the owner's manual page 31: Key on engine off, then wait until seatbelt light turns off on dash. Once light goes out, wait 5 seconds, then slowly plug/unplug seatbelt three times. After the third time the light will come back on, then plug/unplug one more time. Seatbelt light will now flash to confirm. Repeat on other seat. Repeat to turn back on if desired.

jtn83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
[MENTION=27497]kartguy898[/MENTION] advice seems spot on. Another option could be to go back and reverse your changes one by one to see if it clears. I've attempted to disable my Engine Sound Enhancement a couple of times and my sat radio cuts out each time. I plug in the old info and the sat radio comes back.

I'd caution against going to the dealer at this early stage in figuring it out... Maybe I'm a bit too cautious but why bring this to your dealer's attention if it's easily reversed/resolved. They're gonna ask questions, pry, etc....

Good luck :cheers:
So an update: I hooked it back up to FORScan and the BCM has a DTC: B1434 PATS, "additional fault symptom: not programmed" But when I hook it up to the software that came with the OBD Link MX adapter, it doesn't find any codes. Also, when I google the B1434 code it doesn't correlate to being a PATS issue.

Did the computer some how lose it's programming with one of the keys? It starts with both keys.

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
So an update: I hooked it back up to FORScan and the BCM has a DTC: B1434 PATS, "additional fault symptom: not programmed" But when I hook it up to the software that came with the OBD Link MX adapter, it doesn't find any codes. Also, when I google the B1434 code it doesn't correlate to being a PATS issue.

Did the computer some how lose it's programming with one of the keys? It starts with both keys.
Jason,
I really can't say.

Do you know what line this is at? Let me know and I'll give you the data from my '16 Tech... If possible, use the Forscan and not the OBDLink software.

jtn83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Jason,
I really can't say.

Do you know what line this is at? Let me know and I'll give you the data from my '16 Tech... If possible, use the Forscan and not the OBDLink software.
Doesn't come from a line, only shows when I look up DTCs using the FORScan software. I've gone line by line and verified the entire code matches my as built file from the motorcraft website.

Just strange, obviously the keys work and haven't been deprogrammed, because the car actually starts (w/ both keys) and won't start without a key in the cabin.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Doesn't come from a line, only shows when I look up DTCs using the FORScan software. I've gone line by line and verified the entire code matches my as built file from the motorcraft website.

Just strange, obviously the keys work and haven't been deprogrammed, because the car actually starts (w/ both keys) and won't start without a key in the cabin.
Hey Jason,
Sorry for leaving you hanging, my earlier response didn't post....

Has the "starting system fault" notice or DTC cleared? When I first hooked up the OBDLink to my car, I saw I had a couple of DTCs (rear light, something else minor) that I just ignored and will have my dealer check em out next time I have the car in. If it's not affecting performance, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good Luck:cheers:

Sponsored

jtn83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Hey Jason,
Sorry for leaving you hanging, my earlier response didn't post....

Has the "starting system fault" notice or DTC cleared? When I first hooked up the OBDLink to my car, I saw I had a couple of DTCs (rear light, something else minor) that I just ignored and will have my dealer check em out next time I have the car in. If it's not affecting performance, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good Luck:cheers:
Tank,

Thanks for the reply. DTC hasn't cleared--but the CEL doesn't illuminate and the car starts and drives fine. I'll have the dealer check it out when I take it in for the oil line recall.

Cheers,
Jason

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Really dumb question, help an old guy out (not good with computers !)! Still trying to get the basic setup done. How do I keep the car from turning the ignition off and interrupting the process ? Also, I bought the suggested BT adapter for my computer but the device is pretty small and I cannot find a "pairing code". I got to the point in the MX BT setup where it shows a code come up, says to ignore that and hit "yes" but in the very next window it asks for a pairing code, to be found on the device or on the packaging. No code on the device or the packaging. Was the code it said to ignore the code I need ?

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Forgot to mention that I did see that I did get them paired, so do I still need that code ?

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Please ignore last two posts, I figured it out. For those attempting this (and being computer illiterate like myself), a couple of errors I made might be helpful. First, you do not need to complete all the instructions provided with the OBDLinkMX. The "pairing" problems which I addressed above were between the OBDwiz software and the adapter. Once you have an indication that you laptop is paired to the MX, you are good to go with Forscan. Also, I had problems with the changes not fully loading once I hit "write" for the new config. Several times on multiple module changes it would get to 50% and quit. I tried restarting Forscan without luck a couple of times, had to restart both the computer and Forscan before I was able to get the changes fully loaded. Also found it very helpful to keep a battery charger connected while working as my car kept turning the key on/ignition off. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, especially Mattlqx and Epiphany, I would never have done this without all this great info.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good man. The best way to really learn is dive right in and struggle for a bit. Then things start to click. Suddenly, the student becomes the teacher.:)

Glad to hear you got it up and running.
Sponsored