Sponsored

Tools what do you use?

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I'm by no means a mechanic, but I am fairly handy and mechanical inclined. I have basic hand tools but wanted to know what brands/types of tools do you use to work on your car?

Seems like everything is made in China so hard for me to know what's good. Things like floor jack and jack stands are what I'm most interested in using but anything else someone feels is also a must have or handy tool, please share!

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
jacking rails for the bottom of the car

breaker bar and torque wrench for tires

low profile jack from harbor freight tools

craftsman socket set

TC :)

OP
OP

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which floor jack do you have?

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have mostly Craftsman hand tools. Never had issues. I am selective about my ratchets (I like them with round handles) so I shop around for those and will pay more for those, but the best value 3/8 ratchet I have was purchased at Lowes.

My tool collection was built up originally to remodel homes (I do bathrooms on the side) and I got used to stopping at pawn shops if I happened to be passing one. There you can find a lot of great [probably stolen] tools that work just fine. That is where I got my torque wrenches from (Matco, Snap-on, and an old Craftsman). I also have a Lowes torque wrench I bring with me to track events - feel better losing that than a Matco/Snap). I've had them all inspected and calibrated by Team Torque, Inc., and they all work fine.

Battery tools, I use Makita. I started right with one of their small impacts, it has build decks, docks, and a number of bathrooms with no complaints. It has been left in the rain, still works. So as I expanded, if it needs a battery and Makita makes it, I get a Makita. For plug-in tools - whatever happens to be on sale if I can't find it used.

I have done well so far to avoid Harbor Freight but I do have impact sockets from there and, at least with what I've used them for, they haven't given me any trouble. I also have a breaker bar from there that I've used on a crank pulley bolt on my Subaru with a big iron pipe lengthening its own handle by two times and it held up fine.

Tool cases... I mine are from Lowes and Home Depot. I'm not about to spend $X thousands for a tool chest as a garage mechanic. Somehow, the hardware store variety holds tools just fine. Drawers aren't as smooth and I can't sit on them, but I'll live. I actually keep a stainless metal tool chest in my home, which is a unit in an old warehouse, and it fits in the decor pretty sweetly.

...clearly I am avoiding cleaning here because I wrote a lot...

OP
OP

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have mostly Craftsman hand tools. Never had issues. I am selective about my ratchets (I like them with round handles) so I shop around for those and will pay more for those, but the best value 3/8 ratchet I have was purchased at Lowes.

My tool collection was built up originally to remodel homes (I do bathrooms on the side) and I got used to stopping at pawn shops if I happened to be passing one. There you can find a lot of great [probably stolen] tools that work just fine. That is where I got my torque wrenches from (Matco, Snap-on, and an old Craftsman). I also have a Lowes torque wrench I bring with me to track events - feel better losing that than a Matco/Snap). I've had them all inspected and calibrated by Team Torque, Inc., and they all work fine.

Battery tools, I use Makita. I started right with one of their small impacts, it has build decks, docks, and a number of bathrooms with no complaints. It has been left in the rain, still works. So as I expanded, if it needs a battery and Makita makes it, I get a Makita. For plug-in tools - whatever happens to be on sale if I can't find it used.

I have done well so far to avoid Harbor Freight but I do have impact sockets from there and, at least with what I've used them for, they haven't given me any trouble. I also have a breaker bar from there that I've used on a crank pulley bolt on my Subaru with a big iron pipe lengthening its own handle by two times and it held up fine.

Tool cases... I mine are from Lowes and Home Depot. I'm not about to spend $X thousands for a tool chest as a garage mechanic. Somehow, the hardware store variety holds tools just fine. Drawers aren't as smooth and I can't sit on them, but I'll live. I actually keep a stainless metal tool chest in my home, which is a unit in an old warehouse, and it fits in the decor pretty sweetly.

...clearly I am avoiding cleaning here because I wrote a lot...
Thanks Wildcatgoal.

The tools I have were for woodworking, building stuff so to speak. I have a impact (Craftsman). Life changer, and my favorite tool.

As I move to cars, trying to pick up some basic tools to do some wrenching. Floor jack, jack stands, and maybe common wrenches/sockets that will get a weekend warrior off the ground so to speak.

Thanks again

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My floor jack is a low-profile one I think I got from Northern Tool and it is branded Michelin. I'm sure it's made by the same Chinese government-owned company as all the rest of them, but it works really well and gets under very low cars. Never seen it for sale again but the same looking one is all over.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Don't worry so much about where they're made or the brand if they work. No sense in dropping big money on SO/MAC tools you're gonna beat up initially.

- low profile aluminum 3ton floor jack $100-$150 (As Wildcatgoal said there's a bunch of these identical jacks with diff branding, I found them labeled as Arcan at Costco for $100. 3.75" height with 18.5" max lift)
- 4 jack stands at Harbor Freight $50 (http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-69597.html)
- set of pry bars from Harbor Freight $15 (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-heavy-duty-pry-bar-set-69281.html)
- there's a 254 piece craftsman set of mechanics tools for $180 right now that comes with a 1/2" breaker bar and ratcheting wrenches (no 18mm for driver side sway bar mount - $15 extra) (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-254p...HBKArYxUZAXhKcczIuaD-BoCzEDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)
- Socket adapters for your cordless impact $10 (https://www.amazon.com/Impact-Adapt...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P3B91XCHBSVVHMMFV3NH)
- 1/2" Tekton torque wrench (25-250) for $60 (https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24340...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P3B91XCHBSVVHMMFV3NH)

Should be able to do just about everything with that and you're in around $500. Basically the same price as two ratcheting screwdrivers from Snap On :)

Ratchets... you may want to switch the craftsman ones out for a set of GearWrench with more teeth if they end up frustrating you in tight spots. They're basically SO/MAC knock offs but are built well.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
My tools are nothing someone that isnt a mechanic by trade should need to buy. Its not worth it for the average person. Most people make do just fine on harbor freight, husky, kobalt, craftsman and s&k for wrenchings, impacts etc. The tool i think is worth spending the most on for the highend brands, even for the average car guy is the torque wrench. Ruining parts, snapping bolts etc isnt worth the money you think you saved for the large inconvenience. The torque spec accuracy is very important on some parts to be correct. On some things it can be thousands of dollars in damage if something internal is torqued wrong. Getting the torque wrench recalibrated regularly is equally as important in my opinion.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Mustang_guy which torque wrench would be recommended?

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I want a set of quick jacks. Not personally used them but they look so simple to use.
Quick Jacks are awesome! They get easier to use once you figure it out. Its just really heavy, but does wonders once it gets your car up in the air.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had basic tools and once you start wrenching more on cars, you will acquire more. I used to just use what I can find and be creative. Now, understanding the importance of some tools, I find myself purchasing a little bit higher end for some. Best tools I purchased so far was the Quick Jacks (I work on multiple cars, so it make sense for me), impact gun, proper torque wrenches (I ended up with two different ones), lots of quality sockets and wrenches of different sizes. Also, some chisels or cheap extraction tools for screws or bolts you could possibly stripped later (stripped quite a few rotor screws in the past before I learned what a impact screw driver was) lol.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Thanks Mustang_guy which torque wrench would be recommended?
A used digital snap on can typically be bought for 300-400 used which new ranges from 700-900 bucks. Remember it has a lifetime warranty if bought from the rep off his truck. Reps have used tools techs have sold back that they will sell used and still honor the warranty, the rub, it has to be from a reps truck. Now this part is sometimes blown out of proportion but finding a snap-on rep can be a challenge for some but in my opinion it would be worth it. Once you have his card or number, tracking down your snap-on rep becomes much easier. You can go to a dealership and ask for a service writer to check with one of his techs that use snap-on and who his rep is and number. You can also find out what days he comes in. While this might not be cheap to some, itll be the most expensive tool you own and for your purpose i think its how it should be. The other stuff is less important for your applications. This opinion is based on over three decades of being a master tech. I think [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] will agree. Hes another guys opinion to get, his may differ from mine some.

Best of luck in your tool search!

Last edited:

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A used digital snap on can typically be bought for 300-400 used which new ranges from 700-900 bucks. Remember it has a lifetime warranty if bought from the rep off his truck. Reps have used parts techs have sold back that they will sell used and still honor the warranty thats the rub, it has to be from a reps truck. Now this part is sometimes blown out of proportion but finding a snap-on rep can be a challenge for some but in my opinion it would be worth it. Once you have his card or number, tracking down your snap-on rep becomes much easier. You can go to a dealership and ask for a service writer to check with one of his techs that use snap-on and who his rep is and number. You can also find out what days he comes in. While this might not be cheap to some, itll be the most expensive tool you own and for your purpose i think its how it should be. The other stuff is less important for your applications. This opinion is based on over three decades of being a master tech. I think [MENTION=7033]Vodoo[/MENTION] will agree.

Best of luck in your tool search!
Well crap, here I am thinking one of these (CDI) is good enough. :frusty:
Sponsored