Sponsored

Aussie S550 Twin Turbo 9.3@148

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
thanks guys.

the motor is stock with OPG/CG it's just hitting 14.5-15psi at the strip. there's a 9.15-9.19 in it i reckon if we get the 60' down and leave with a bit more boost. being a PowerGlide it has a 1.8 first gear, which i'd probably like a bit more if it had a TH400 or leaving in 2nd on a 6R80, we will be trying a 6R80 later in the year as well as a manual.
What rear gear is in the car ? The TH 400 might have more ratio but I think you will find that with the glide you can leave with more boost and probably go faster wheel speed can be hard to control with a 3 speed. Are you trying the manual just for fun surely it won't go nearly as fast as it is now if I had to guess 9.80's - 9.90's would be my guess with a manual. Great job with that car very respectable for a stock motor and 15 psi.
Sponsored

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
you made fullboost's youtube channel!!!

[ame]

OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
yeah was great vid by the Fullboost guys, we always watching their vids was fantastic to have one of our own. love the vid thumbnail :lol:

it's still factory GT PP rear 3.55, would love to throw manual back in, see how we go.

i believe the car would definitely be quicker with the TH400 or even 6R80 (with very aggresive shift), the 'Glide is good as the tracks here arent always prepped the best, we are leaving on about 4-5psi on footbrake, it's creeping a bit with more, we will try the transbrake on a good sticky track, if we can stick a 8-10psi launch will go a deep 1.3, the vid here is very good, we can see just how much the car is actually rolling out off the footbrake

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Is your PP different than the US cars they come with 3:73's ?

OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Is your PP different than the US cars they come with 3:73's ?
they must be, all our Performance Pack here are advertised as 3.55, i would believe it as the rpm at 62mph (2500rpm) and the mph/rpm it's crossing the traps point to 3.55, we are crossing the line @ 148mph on about 6500 with a 28.2'' tall tyre, with a 3.73'' it would have to be 6600rpm+ with no slip in the converter

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
yeah was great vid by the Fullboost guys, we always watching their vids was fantastic to have one of our own. love the vid thumbnail :lol:

it's still factory GT PP rear 3.55, would love to throw manual back in, see how we go.

i believe the car would definitely be quicker with the TH400 or even 6R80 (with very aggresive shift), the 'Glide is good as the tracks here arent always prepped the best, we are leaving on about 4-5psi on footbrake, it's creeping a bit with more, we will try the transbrake on a good sticky track, if we can stick a 8-10psi launch will go a deep 1.3, the vid here is very good, we can see just how much the car is actually rolling out off the footbrake
R680s are known to be slower then glides and th400s. They give up almost a full second of Et in some cases. They also break when using a trans brake and launch control. They are a strong transmission but they don't hold up to using both when looking for lower in the 9s, not at least long term. The majority of the cars Jpc turns out are using glides over th400s. In some cases they opt for the th400 but glide is their go to

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
A glide will load the motor more on the gear change due to the ratio drop from 1.80 to 1-1 which is great for turbo cars as they like load, but not so great for a blower car. Having the right convertor is key around 1000 rpm drop on the gear change is usually desirable.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
A glide will load the motor more on the gear change due to the ratio drop from 1.80 to 1-1 which is great for turbo cars as they like load, but not so great for a blower car. Having the right convertor is key around 1000 rpm drop on the gear change is usually desirable.
Right.

I've heard the th400 is a better choice if the car is heavier and not gutted to total race car status. No idea if there is any truth to that. Infact I'm trying to figure out for myself still if I should go glide or th400. :frusty:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Right.

I've heard the th400 is a better choice if the car is heavier and not gutted to total race car status. No idea if there is any truth to that. Infact I'm trying to figure out for myself still if I should go glide or th400. :frusty:
The TH400 will eat up a little more hp and it's a little heavier than a glide, in theory providing traction isn't an issue the car should leave the line harder with more ratio provided buy the TH400. In the real world I believe that you can leave with more boost with the glide due to less ratio allowing you to control the wheel speed better and in turn you will go faster with the glide. Pro mod cars that have 3000 - 4000 hp turn a TH400 into a 2 speed and run like a 1.53 1st gear ratio then it goes to 1-1. I am just using my car on the street but I know the MT82 will break and with the twins coming I am thinking of going powerglide myself but I'm still tossing up the idea of a TR 6060 to keep OD.:headbonk:

OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
there is no way a 6R80 is up to a second slower, you need only look at similar setup 6R80 S550's, 15psi Twin Turbo we all run about the same ET, the saving grace is the first 3 gears in the 6R80, they allow to pull the car out the hole a bit better. the 'Glide is better on a less sticky track. the 6R80's can shift hard and fast, it's quite impressive add a great converter onto that and you have a great strip combo.

turbo cars do love load, 4000lbs+ coming out of the hole is a shit load of load :p which is what scares us a bit with the stock motor, the cars under alot of stress, although it's only 60'ing in the mid 1.4's now, once we get it down to the 1.3's the engine will know it.

TH400 vs 'Glide, the TH400 is heavier, it doesn't matter what the rear wheels show, end of the day the engine is driving it all, flywheel hp is all that matters. if you have an efficient gearbox/converter times will tumble. we show 715rwhp, the 6R80 cars running similar times are showing 850rwhp+ which is on par to what we usually see, a 'Glide/Th400 will see about 25-30% drivetrain loss, whereas a 6R80 is around 15-20%

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The TH400 will eat up a little more hp and it's a little heavier than a glide, in theory providing traction isn't an issue the car should leave the line harder with more ratio provided buy the TH400. In the real world I believe that you can leave with more boost with the glide due to less ratio allowing you to control the wheel speed better and in turn you will go faster with the glide. Pro mod cars that have 3000 - 4000 hp turn a TH400 into a 2 speed and run like a 1.53 1st gear ratio then it goes to 1-1. I am just using my car on the street but I know the MT82 will break and with the twins coming I am thinking of going powerglide myself but I'm still tossing up the idea of a TR 6060 to keep OD.:headbonk:
Im looking to run 7.80s in the 170s with a single, car weighing around 3600lbs with driver. I refuse to gut it interior wise more then a rear seat delete. I was looking at a 3spd th400 with the 2.10s from Proformance racing. However the car will be majority street raced, even if most frown on it. My Nmra and nhra days are over too much work. If a tr6060 built by Ben calimer could reliable hold 1500 crank for 4-5 years is consider it but it can't.

there is no way a 6R80 is up to a second slower, you need only look at similar setup 6R80 S550's, 15psi Twin Turbo we all run about the same ET, the saving grace is the first 3 gears in the 6R80, they allow to pull the car out the hole a bit better. the 'Glide is better on a less sticky track. the 6R80's can shift hard and fast, it's quite impressive add a great converter onto that and you have a great strip combo.

turbo cars do love load, 4000lbs+ coming out of the hole is a shit load of load :p which is what scares us a bit with the stock motor, the cars under alot of stress, although it's only 60'ing in the mid 1.4's now, once we get it down to the 1.3's the engine will know it.

TH400 vs 'Glide, the TH400 is heavier, it doesn't matter what the rear wheels show, end of the day the engine is driving it all, flywheel hp is all that matters. if you have an efficient gearbox/converter times will tumble. we show 715rwhp, the 6R80 cars running similar times are showing 850rwhp+ which is on par to what we usually see, a 'Glide/Th400 will see about 25-30% drivetrain loss, whereas a 6R80 is around 15-20%
Ronnie Reynolds shaved around .7 off his et going from 6R80 to a th400 last I recall. He's switched again recently to a glide, he's looking for 7.6s now with more power, last i remember. The 6R80 users running into the 8s have picked up a considerable amount of ET ditching the 6R80. I didn't say it was the norm but I've seen 1 second at the most gained. Typical seems to be .4 -.7. Jpc told me themselves the 6R80 cannot compare to either with et or strength. I had looked at a built 6r80 for a short period til I talked with them and saw them blowing up with trans brake and 2step.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

So you are saying that a powerglide with only 1 planetary consumes more power than a 6R80 ? I find that hard to believe as the 6R80 has a lot of mass spinning around in it. I would assume that the 6R80 has a lock up convertor and that would be an advantage.

OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Im looking to run 7.80s in the 170s with a single, car weighing around 3600lbs with driver. I refuse to gut it interior wise more then a rear seat delete. I was looking at a 3spd th400 with the 2.10s from Proformance racing. However the car will be majority street raced, even if most frown on it. My Nmra and nhra days are over too much work. If a tr6060 built by Ben calimer could reliable hold 1500 crank for 4-5 years is consider it but it can't.

Ronnie Reynolds shaved around .7 off his et going from 6R80 to a th400 last I recall. He's switched again recently to a glide, he's looking for 7.6s now with more power, last i remember. The 6R80 users running into the 8s have picked up a considerable amount of ET ditching the 6R80. I didn't say it was the norm but I've seen 1 second at the most gained. Typical seems to be .4 -.7. Jpc told me themselves the 6R80 cannot compare to either with et or strength. I had looked at a built 6r80 for a short period til I talked with them and saw them blowing up with trans brake and 2step.
power and reliability the 6R80 cannot compare to an old skool box, you need to remember alot of these guys changing are stepping up the current combo's they already have so the times achieved maybe on different setup/boost etc, is the 'Glide more efficient at the track? 100% but you also need to take into consideration the whole car combo, i 100% believe a well setup 6R80 vs 'Glide you won't see more than 2/10ths difference. the track increments tell you everything, we went a 9.26 with a 1.50 60' we are running 15.5psi, similar setups with the same boost, similar size turbo's are running similar times and MPH, what has really been letting us down has been the 60', if we can get it down to a 1.30-1.35 we will definitely be in the 9.0-9.1 zone, you can see in the video we are rolling through the start too far because we are footbraking, it's too aggressive off the transbrake for the track prep we have been on for the passes.

would i use a 6R80 to race constantly, fuck no, but as a 80%/20% street/track car 100%.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That 60' won't come down without more boost at launch, maybe a better tire is in order.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
power and reliability the 6R80 cannot compare to an old skool box, you need to remember alot of these guys changing are stepping up the current combo's they already have so the times achieved maybe on different setup/boost etc, is the 'Glide more efficient at the track? 100% but you also need to take into consideration the whole car combo, i 100% believe a well setup 6R80 vs 'Glide you won't see more than 2/10ths difference. the track increments tell you everything, we went a 9.26 with a 1.50 60' we are running 15.5psi, similar setups with the same boost, similar size turbo's are running similar times and MPH, what has really been letting us down has been the 60', if we can get it down to a 1.30-1.35 we will definitely be in the 9.0-9.1 zone, you can see in the video we are rolling through the start too far because we are footbraking, it's too aggressive off the transbrake for the track prep we have been on for the passes.

would i use a 6R80 to race constantly, fuck no, but as a 80%/20% street/track car 100%.
I was only speaking to your comment that you thought an 6r80 would be faster than a glide. I disagree with your idea on the et variance only because of what I've seen. Also like I mentioned Jpc has told me themselves the 6r80 doesn't compare. They themselves said It's on average a half a second faster with nothing else changed. I checked into it and it checked out. :shrug:

With that said I think it's a great choice if people keep it around 1000whp and don't use a trans brake, 2step and it's not running races for money. The cases crack and just simply aren't up to the task. From what I've seen they don't last more than a couple hundred or less launches like that.
Sponsored