Sponsored

leather quality on steering wheel

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
i have a 2016 mustang 16 month old 25000 miles and the leather (may be vynil) where i put my hand is discolored, it s like that the black paint on the material
left. does anyone notice this ? do you think i can have it replaces uner warranty ?
Sponsored

Mustang1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
i have a 2016 mustang 16 month old 25000 miles and the leather (may be vynil) where i put my hand is discolored, it s like that the black paint on the material
left. does anyone notice this ? do you think i can have it replaces uner warranty ?
Warranty isn't gonna cover that. That's just a normal wear and tear thing that will happen.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I have been using gloves to minimize the wear. It helps, but even with the gloves, I still have an area near the 9- and 3-positions that looks slightly worn down. Previously when I didn't use gloves, the oil from my skin caused the leather to get a shiny area. The gloves have prevented that from happening.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
thank you everyone. i change car every 3 years, but it s the first time i see this so fast. May be very cheap plastic fake leather from ford.

Sponsored

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I have been using gloves to minimize the wear. It helps, but even with the gloves, I still have an area near the 9- and 3-positions that looks slightly worn down. Previously when I didn't use gloves, the oil from my skin caused the leather to get a shiny area. The gloves have prevented that from happening.
I've thought about wearing gloves for a better grip.

What kind and from where do you have?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Get this and problem solved. Comes in a lot of different varieties of colors and materials.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
indeed, a leather cleaner and then conditioner periodically prevents this.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I just noticed this the other day on mine at about the 9-10 oclock position. The texture on the leather has been worn off a bit so its just a smooth black surface. I am quite disappointed as my car has about the same miles as yours and I remember my first car which was a 2000 V6 mustang that I got very, very, used, had the steering wheel literally crumbling to bits so I got a cheap vinyl steering wheel cover from auto-zone or whatever. Then my 2005 ford escape's wheel still looked brand new till the day I totaled it at which point this big, white, smelly, thing exploded from the center of it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ford will replace it. They just replaced mine for wearing at the "leather" seams.

Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I've seen people get their steering wheels replaced for excessive wear under the bumper to bumper coverage period (3 years 36,000)

Ashley from Mustang Lifestyle on youtube had hers replaced for the same reason.. they made a video about it.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer/service advisor.. it's not like it cost them money, Ford pays for it.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Been saying this for awhile. The leather is very cheap feeling. I've driven Toyotas with better quality leather steering wheels. Is there any way to get a better feel without replacing it completely? Perhaps a good leather conditioner or something?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Been saying this for awhile. The leather is very cheap feeling. I've driven Toyotas with better quality leather steering wheels. Is there any way to get a better feel without replacing it completely? Perhaps a good leather conditioner or something?
It's not leather. It's not leather in your car, it probably wasn't leather in the Toyota.

Fords are cheap, and you get what you pay for. You can replace your steering wheel rather easily.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
My steering wheel peeled @ 20k miles... It's a 2015, I obviously don't daily the car but the leather quality isn't the best. I never had this happen on previous cars or leather surfaces.

Thankfully, it was replaced under warranty. Better yet, I had the dealer replace with the GT350 wheel which is alcantara and should last better if cared for.

Last edited:

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Did you read post #8 above?
Not bad at all.
Sponsored