automatic transmission lag and jerk

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'll have to post some pictures after I take some better ones. the ones I have now are weird angles. Its hard to find a good spot to take a decent picture in the city. Basically its a ruby red GT. planning on doing some black accents in the future. hmm my cylinder heads are almost always at about 205-208. never seen them above 208 but that's where they are id say...80% of the time?
Nice dude. Take some pics. Those cylinder head temps is what I usually see, which I believe to be normal. I don't think you need it but if you're going to tune it, lower temps may allow the ecm the advance more timing as well as potentially prolong the life of the engine, from what I've heard. But stock I don't think it's needed. I've never had a problem with mine.

A tune though increases my enjoyment. Don't do it unless you're planning more mods and you're ok with losing the warranty. At this point, I've let that go. These engines are beasts from what I've heard. I'm not too concerned, I'm just having fun and I'm going to keep this car for the long haul and make it my own.

Next up - Steeda CAI and down the road- some RTR Tech 7 wheels.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Your giving to much credit to the factory tune, which is always inadequate. i rode in an ecoboost automatic with my tuners latest auto tune strategy and it was like night and day over the stock tune. Even though i drive a v-8 auto i could tell the difference right off. get that sucker tuned my friend and never look back!

Jpjr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang V6 (traded)
Mine does this too, but usually 5th to 4th. I tuned it and now it's worse. I guess I'm screwed now since I doubt Ford will do anything since it's tuned now.

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If its worse you or your tuner did something wrong! It should be better all the way around! Who tuned your car?

Jpjr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang V6 (traded)
Lund did. Its downshifts more with the tune, so its more noticeable. It lags, downshifts and jerks and makes a thud sound at the same time. Only on downshift usually from the higher gears 6 to 5th or 5th to 4th. I'm thinking of putting the stock tune back and taking it to the dealer and see what they say. My only concern is if they reflash the ecu with new software will I have to pay for a new tune from Lund.

Sponsored

johnz2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think the real problem you are referring to is that in D mode, as the car slows to approx below 10mph, the torque converter disengages and the car is freewheeling to a stop. If you do not come to a complete stop for about a second, when you reapply the throttle the car lurches as the torque converter engages. Very annoying but probably mandated by the fuel consumption nannies. One of many complaints I have with what I consider a very poor automatic transmission. I live with mine but a ggod friend sold his after a year, one main reason being that crappy tranny.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I know I'm late to this party, but I experienced the exact same problem as the OP described in my 2014 Escape Ecoboost. There were guys on the Escape forum who traded their car because of this problem. There were numerous complaints, and they were never solved. I just got used to it, but I wondered how Ford could release the Escape with this known issue. I wound up trading mine because I wanted a Mustang, not because of the tranny issue. I know the two trannys are different (at least I think so), so this is just an FYI. I didn't test drive an auto, so I didn't experience it in the Mustang.

702ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
I was annoyed by this problem and used to drive in sport always. I just added the Gfb DV+ diverter and it seems to have eliminated or at least improved this significantly. I drive in d now without an issue. On the flip side s mode is somewhat annoying now. It seems to shift without letting off the boost so it feels like it's lunging when it shifts. There is a spring in there that can be removed to give it a "stock" feel but I haven't messed with it yet.
This leads me to believe it's not the trans but the stock bov causing the issue. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored