MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Manual, Lightning Blue
Hi guys,
just wanting to share my experience and see what others are being told.

I went into my ford dealer today to change my order from a MY17 to a MY18 (not everyone's cup of tea but I like em).

I was told September 2018?? now admittedly the salesman said "That's the worst case, and I would rather tell you a long date and it come in early"

Surely September 2018 is a ridiculous guess at a delivery time.

has anyone else ordered or changed order to a MY18? if so what sort of delivery dates have other people been told??

cheers
James
Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi James, Yes I got a phone call from my dealer yesterday advising that my MY17 had arrived. I had already discussed it with them earlier that I would not be in a financial position just yet to buy it seeing how it was coming sooner than expected.
Anyhow I have now officially cancelled my order for the MY17 and have asked to be put on the waiting list for the MY18. The dealer said that it would likely not be available until near the end of 2018!
I am hoping that this will not be the case.

OP
OP

MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Hi James, Yes I got a phone call from my dealer yesterday advising that my MY17 had arrived. I had already discussed it with them earlier that I would not be in a financial position just yet to buy it seeing how it was coming sooner than expected.
Anyhow I have now officially cancelled my order for the MY17 and have asked to be put on the waiting list for the MY18. The dealer said that it would likely not be available until near the end of 2018!
I am hoping that this will not be the case.
I just dont understand how its possible unless my17 owners are going to be forced into a my18?

My time at holdens building cars on the line we didnt build multiple models, so I just cant see how its that ling a wait.

Fingers crossed its not

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I think that it is reasonable to assume that the plant will tool up and make the RHD versions at much the same time as the LHD.

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
That's quite interesting. If true then it means demand for it has not subsided at all and has gone up. I think we are currently getting around 300 vehicles a month delivered. September is around 19 months away that's 5700 cars sold/waiting still. That's assuming production is not going to be ramping up/down. I thought the wait times would have been less. But it doesn't seem that way. If I haven't got mine MY17, I would very happily take an MY18 too.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That seems crazy, but the salesman may just be over compensating trying to manage your expectations.

Here, in the UK at least, after the NCAP debacle there was a statement along the lines of the new model, with improved safety, being available to order from June 2017. Given lead times for the GT seem to have come down from 12 months to more like 7 months, that indicates the first '18MYs should be in the UK from late 2017.

Given I suspect all RHD cars are built in batches, I'd hope Australian orders would be to a similar timescale. But don't hold me to that ;)

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Australia told caradvice.com.au that we would see the MY18 in 2018.

OP
OP

MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
That seems crazy, but the salesman may just be over compensating trying to manage your expectations.

Here, in the UK at least, after the NCAP debacle there was a statement along the lines of the new model, with improved safety, being available to order from June 2017. Given lead times for the GT seem to have come down from 12 months to more like 7 months, that indicates the first '18MYs should be in the UK from late 2017.

Given I suspect all RHD cars are built in batches, I'd hope Australian orders would be to a similar timescale. But don't hold me to that ;)
Consider that info as locked in and gospel if its not true will hunt you down hahaha jokes, cheers for info

rixstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG XR6
I was thinking of doing the same as I have a 17 GT auto F/back on order, if you don't mind, was their an increase in price over the 17, if so was it much?

ICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic 6MT GT Fastback
What was the difference in release time of the first s550's for the LHD US and the RHD Aussie ones?

I suspect it would probably be the same time frame difference as naturally they would cater to the LHD and North American market first and then deal with the export market later on.

Based on the US getting the MY18 production from June 2017 and probably first deliveries in the same month, add the difference to that for the rest of the world.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking of doing the same as I have a 17 GT auto F/back on order, if you don't mind, was their an increase in price over the 17, if so was it much?
Wasnt told of a price increase he just said they may go up, and last time it went up it wasn't much.

Take that how you will lol

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
What was the difference in release time of the first s550's for the LHD US and the RHD Aussie ones?
We didn't get any MY15 cars here. RHD production didn't start until MY16, so it was over a year.

Things will obviously be different this time around - it's just a matter of what that delay (if any) will be due to retooling requirements, parts availabilty etc.

I don't think that delay will be long, as they certainly won't be building two different models on the same line and there is a RHD demand to be met.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Doubt it'll be late 2018. I expect them to swap over in June. We're still seeing 6 months minimum to delivery so that right away puts any MY18s into Jan 2018 at the earliest.

Five Red Lights

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT manual MagneRide Recaros. Ordered
At the launch from memory they said they'd switch over in October so 2018 may be right.
I've just put down a deposit and was told mid 2018. Ford Australia did mention mid 18 in their response to the ancap thing too.
Dealer put 2017 price on the contract but did say that will probably change. Hope he has a short memory.
Sponsored