Sponsored

2018 GT or Used GT350?

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Well it comes down to do you want the one that looks like a guppy or the catfish? ..or so says the wife
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Go with the fully loaded 18 meaning all of the bells and whistles. $60K plus I think will be the price. Full warranty. It will have the mag ride, 10 speed auto and supposedly faster 0-60 than the Shelby. The 5.0 is easily modded to put out some massive HP and those mods have proven to be reliable. Handling I suppose will be very similar with the mag ride???? Maybe maybe not?

Unless you want something very unique and more special then go with a used GT350 that you can hope was not overly abused and has no burning oil issues.

Even though I know I have taken great care of my Shelby and monitored the oil consumption I have concerns of reliability. I take excellent care of the Shelby but I mean I drive it hard all of the time because it is so damn fun! Being such a unique engine and only one Ford has made, I am hopeful it remains reliable but deep down I have concerns. Cannot pin point one glaring reason why, it's just how I feel as a owner of a car I bought new with 8 miles on the clock.

Burning a quart of oil every 500 miles is considered acceptable usage. I am at about a quart every 750 miles. It is my weekend have fun car not a DD.

I have just over 5K on the clock now since buying the car in March. Zero mechanical issues but look at my post for trunk lid fit. All good now, but know issues with the trunk lid and bumper gap.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91901

Just my honest opinion from a guy who absolutely loves the car.

Last edited:

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Shelby all day without a question.
Get a CPO if you're worried about reliability issues.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Neither. From one old Mach owner to another. Get a Hellcat and have some real fun. :thumbsup:

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
When you drive a GT350, you might get an orgasm. When you drive a GT, you might get a smile.
Hell I get chubbed just looking at my R in the garage. The GT does nothing for me.

Sponsored

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I just noticed that for 3-4K more than the 2018 GT I'm looking at I can get a used GT350.

What would be the pros/cons to using a GT350 as a daily? I don't have the space for 2 cars.
You don't know how or how much it was used.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I "almost" daily my GT350, and while it is an amazing car overall, there are some things about it that make it difficult to recommend to someone who doesn't appreciate the things it does very well. As mentioned earlier:

First, it is relatively loud (engine and tire noise) and has increased vibration from the engine. Mine has a "piston slap" type of noise when under light load between 2000-3000 RPM. It also has a very noticeable resonance around 1900 RPM that brings out all the rattles in the interior.

Second, the low end torque is less than a regular GT. For daily driving, this is probably the part of the rev band that you'd be operating in under most conditions. 6th gear is also very tall, which means you will be using 5th on the highway more often than you might initially expect.

Third, if you intend to track it, you'd want to get a 2016 Track Pack (base interior) or a 2017.

Finally, it is likely the engine will consume more oil than most are used to these days. Mine is somewhere around 1 quart every 1500 miles or so.

However, keeping those annoyances in mind, it is such a great car! Just did a track day @ Buttonwillow (a 220 mile drive from my house) and the car was amazing. I have it basically stock (only addition is an oil catch can from UPR) and it was awesome on track, and then was also a fantastic cruiser on the way home. The Recaro seats are amazing, the gearing is quite good once you are on track, and the balance is fantastic.
A little understeer when neutral, but rotates excellently under braking and when you do overcook things the car is quite easy to catch (or has good enough electronics in track mode to give that impression).

Still, highway mileage on the drive was only 21.5 or so. I think a regular GT would be quite a bit better. I guess you can put the fuel economy as a slight negative as well, even when you baby the car. The engine is just not that efficient at low RPM it seems.

Anyhow, I think the GT350 is a car that may not have the best numbers from a logical standpoint, but really delivers in terms of feel, sound, balance, and enjoyment. That enjoyment is really what gives the car its value IMO.

As long as you can live with and forgive those issues mentioned earlier.

-T

Ks5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H5318

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Decisions

I usually keep a car till its dead or totaled so resale isn't huge for me, just a nicety. I'm also the odd type that does DC and NYC traffic with a stick and doesn't complain lol.

Is the 5.2 more "needy" maintenance wise?
I do daily my GT350 and I couldn't imagine a better car for the job, for the drive I have which is 50% town traffic and 50% highway. It is a joy to drive and instills a level of confidence and security that is hard to find in a vehicle along with a nice comfort level. I don't feel there is any additional maintenance for this car beyond most other cars, I just did my 3rd oil change this weekend and the car has 19,000 miles. I do plan on driving my GT350 until its totaled or I am dead.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I put the full GT350 suspension (springs & bars with Steeda ProActAdj dampers) on my GT for track day. It is too stiff for me as a DD, so I am going back to stock suspension. I'll keep the track setup on the shelf until next year's track season, and then swap back again.

The GT350 is cooler, more exciting, and has better resale. But a 2018 GT loaded up (especially with the 10spd) is what I want now. It is the "overall everything" car for my needs.

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
While not the best daily I say a slightly used GT350 all the way.

Good luck.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I "almost" daily my GT350, and while it is an amazing car overall, there are some things about it that make it difficult to recommend to someone who doesn't appreciate the things it does very well. As mentioned earlier:

First, it is relatively loud (engine and tire noise) and has increased vibration from the engine. Mine has a "piston slap" type of noise when under light load between 2000-3000 RPM. It also has a very noticeable resonance around 1900 RPM that brings out all the rattles in the interior.

Second, the low end torque is less than a regular GT. For daily driving, this is probably the part of the rev band that you'd be operating in under most conditions. 6th gear is also very tall, which means you will be using 5th on the highway more often than you might initially expect.

Third, if you intend to track it, you'd want to get a 2016 Track Pack (base interior) or a 2017.

Finally, it is likely the engine will consume more oil than most are used to these days. Mine is somewhere around 1 quart every 1500 miles or so.

However, keeping those annoyances in mind, it is such a great car! Just did a track day @ Buttonwillow (a 220 mile drive from my house) and the car was amazing. I have it basically stock (only addition is an oil catch can from UPR) and it was awesome on track, and then was also a fantastic cruiser on the way home. The Recaro seats are amazing, the gearing is quite good once you are on track, and the balance is fantastic.
A little understeer when neutral, but rotates excellently under braking and when you do overcook things the car is quite easy to catch (or has good enough electronics in track mode to give that impression).

Still, highway mileage on the drive was only 21.5 or so. I think a regular GT would be quite a bit better. I guess you can put the fuel economy as a slight negative as well, even when you baby the car. The engine is just not that efficient at low RPM it seems.

Anyhow, I think the GT350 is a car that may not have the best numbers from a logical standpoint, but really delivers in terms of feel, sound, balance, and enjoyment. That enjoyment is really what gives the car its value IMO.

As long as you can live with and forgive those issues mentioned earlier.

-T
My GT rattles, my GT is loud, I can't use 6th until 60mph, and I get less than 15mpg city and about 25mpg highway...so not that much better.

About the only thing I have better is, as you said, a little more low end torque that makes city driving slightly easier.

Again, money should be the only thing that keeps one from buying a 350 over a GT. Plain and simple.