Sponsored

My Hellion experience- new forum member-LONG

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium/Auto, Oxford/Redline
Hello all, I've been lurking on here for a while and thought I'd share my experience with the Hellion setup on my car...I have a 16 GT Premium auto that I purchased last March. I traded in my 13 GT500 (Grabber blue, 11k miles, beautiful) mostly because I couldn't ever get the shifter/clutch to work properly and saw how good the 5.0 ran with forced induction. I decided to go turbo after some debate and received my kit from Hellion (62/66 kit) in late September about 3 weeks after ordering it. Everything was packaged beautifully and easy to find all the parts. I worked on it here and there for about a month and got it done. A couple of areas of the instructions were a little ambiguous to me, but Jeff at Hellion was always very helpful and even sent me an extra v band that I broke, free of charge. I have supercharged cars in the past but this was my first foray into turbos and I probably called at least 10 times, always receiving great responses from Jeff-can't say enough about their customer service. The install was pretty involved, I'd say easily 2-3 times the amount of work vs. the whipple I had done on my previous 07, but everything fit perfectly. The kit comes with 7.5 lbs. Springs in the waste gates, and I initially ran on that. My tuner, Sai Li, is local to me and he street tuned it on the low boost until I could install my boostleash. A couple months later I installed the boostleash and we dyno tuned it to 12 lbs., with a final figure of 783/715 on a conservative tune (the initial 7.5 setting was 660/630, all on E85). The car is an animal. It is an absolute slug out of the hole because it needs a converter badly, but at test and tune it went 10.55 @143, with a 2.0 60', with high boost not hitting until halfway down the track due to traction issues. The car is as quiet as stock, looks and drives stock and has no heat issues, even on 90 degree days. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out so far, and once I get the converter and minor suspension pieces, it should easily meet my initial goal of 9s@140+. Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share my first experience with a turbo kit for others who may be hesitant like I was- don't be, this kit is outstanding and everything I hoped it would be.
Sponsored

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Great story, sounds like you have a real monster there, gotta love the TQ those TT systems put out!

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Congrats! Glad there's no issues with heat. What fuel components are you running?

OP
OP

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have Sai Li's return style system and E85

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Hellcat slayer!!!!

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I'm in Clearwater, hope to see this car around or at a meet!!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Very nice, congrats! I saw a Hellion TT S550 the other day at a local mustang shop, looked gorgeous.

TT15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Yellow GT
Glad to see another hellion soldier

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Congrats! I'm fixin to give you some good news....have you figured out how to adjust the Rate on your BoostLeash? 0 is off, 50 is widefuckinopen. I have your same kit, and once I figured out how to adjust the Rate my car had ZERO lag, the pair of solenoids take over at 3psi and the boost hits harder then my TVS did out of the hole. Let me know, I can help you out.

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I have Sai Li's return style system and E85
Come on out to showtime drag strip , every 3 wed night we have a Mustang only race ..You will love it ..:cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! I'm fixin to give you some good news....have you figured out how to adjust the Rate on your BoostLeash? 0 is off, 50 is widefuckinopen. I have your same kit, and once I figured out how to adjust the Rate my car had ZERO lag, the pair of solenoids take over at 3psi and the boost hits harder then my TVS did out of the hole. Let me know, I can help you out.
I'm still learning it. I had to turn the rate down to 12 on my best run, otherwise it would hit high boost too early and the track wouldn't hold it. I was trying to slowly increase the rate on subsequent runs but ran out of time after several cars broke and caused delays. On lower boost I had the rate at 22 and it worked well. It's a pretty cool piece but definitely has a learning curve.

SAL08HO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium
Very Nice ... I'm in Tampa and would love a ride in that beast LOL ... Awesome feedback .., low 9s for sure in that beast

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
12lbs on stock block? Did you upgrade the OPGs?

Sounds like a dream.

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'm still learning it. I had to turn the rate down to 12 on my best run, otherwise it would hit high boost too early and the track wouldn't hold it. I was trying to slowly increase the rate on subsequent runs but ran out of time after several cars broke and caused delays. On lower boost I had the rate at 22 and it worked well. It's a pretty cool piece but definitely has a learning curve.
Make sure you open Rate to 50/Max when on the dyno, thats the only way to get peak #'s. I've been able to open up 18-20psi at 35 & 40 Rate on some of my best pass's (9.3@152) but now I have a dedicated set of Welds and MT R's, going to open Rate to 45-50 next time out. Good luck, let me know if I can help!

OP
OP

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12lbs on stock block? Did you upgrade the OPGs?

Sounds like a dream.
Thanks! It's got MMR oil pump/crankshaft gears, otherwise stock!
Sponsored