Sponsored

Back Pain After HPDE? Base seats the issue?

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
Take a look at this:
SCHROTH QUICKFIT PRO

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317

Keeps me planted in the seat.
Dude thanks for posting that. I have been looking for an altenative to racing seats.

Does it hold you in for the lateral g's? When I was in Dawsonville I knew I could take that carosuel faster, but the lateral g's had me hanging on the wheel so bad my arms hurt.
Sponsored

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
Dude thanks for posting that. I have been looking for an altenative to racing seats.

Does it hold you in for the lateral g's? When I was in Dawsonville I knew I could take that carosuel faster, but the lateral g's had me hanging on the wheel so bad my arms hurt.
Yes. It pins your shoulders back against the seat. It does have some movement vs a true race seat and harness, but much much better than the stock 3 point. As I was reviewing/critiquing some AutoX runs over the summer I noticed I was taking some 1.1+ g corners with just one hand on the wheel.

OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
How tall are you? I am 6'2 and with a helmet on I have to work to get my seat in a position where I can sit up straight and keep my neck straight. If you tend to lean forward when you drive or put most of your weight on your dominant side, it can cause bcak pain.
Im 6'6 lol .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Sounds like you might be pulling yourself forward hard enough to take weight off the seat back. Relax and try to just rotate the steering wheel like you would in street driving.

Norm

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Im 6'6 lol .
So I assume you move the seat to a more layed back position to fit with a helmet?

If so, a more race oriented seat, mounted lower is what you need. A harness helps, but I suspect a compromised driving position is the cause of your back pain. Now if your arms were sore, that is more from struggling to hold yourself in place.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Nothing works like a true racing seat and 3" 6 pt harness. I loved my Kirky LW58 series layback. Literally you could not move.

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
Regardless of how your seat is positioned normally, I've found that reducing the lumbar support to its lowest setting the bolsters will be much more aggressive. I don't move around at all.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
Sounds like you might be pulling yourself forward hard enough to take weight off the seat back. Relax and try to just rotate the steering wheel like you would in street driving.

Norm
I haven't had this issue at other tracks, just Dawsonville. The big carousel going into the front straight is a left hand turn. so you are being pulled from the thighs up into the pasenger seat. Always felt like I could take it faster but was always unbalanced.

Right hand turn no big deal you can brace against the door.

OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I assume you move the seat to a more layed back position to fit with a helmet?

If so, a more race oriented seat, mounted lower is what you need. A harness helps, but I suspect a compromised driving position is the cause of your back pain. Now if your arms were sore, that is more from struggling to hold yourself in place.
Most my height is in my legs but it just felt like my body was shifting all over. Since the mustang isnt my daily I may invest in a bucket seat and harness/bar. Im assuming taking the factory seat and bolting in the aftermarket shouldnt be too time consuming so maybe I can just do it when I get to the track. Im not sure Ive never had aftermarket seats before so Im not sure how much of a pain in the ass it is. I dont mind taking a half hour or so to swap seats at the track. I just wouldnt drive on a highway with out airbags.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just wouldnt drive on a highway with out airbags.
Not sure I understand this, when at Dominion you're going to be up around or above 1g around all those concrete walls.

Wasn't all that many years ago that you wouldn't have even had a seat-mounted airbag.

Norm

OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean that's true. but if im involved in a wreck and I have an aftermarket seat in the vehicle I was under the impression insurance would deny the claim.
Sponsored