Sponsored

Back Pain After HPDE? Base seats the issue?

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
So I have now done 4 events in my base mustang gt but recently added some sticky tires and went out to a HPDE event at dominion raceway sunday. With the new tires the car did an amazing job and was very very fast however I noticed after awhile I had CRAZY back pain and it felt like I had been working out for hours. I had major difficulty staying in my seat around turns at times and the harder I pushed it the more painful it got. I thought that maybe this was an issue just for me but my friend that also has a mustang gt same year 2017 experienced the same soreness after the event. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or not as I havent experienced this with my corvette, granted I was pushing this car alot harder then I have before. Is the culprit the stock base seats since they provide little to no support? If I went with a bucket seat would it help the issue? Ide like some info from some drivers who have maybe experienced the same thing. I mean I seriously felt like I had exercised for 4 hours str8 after the day was over. Also would a helmet neck brace help with the neck pain afterwards as well? Any info would be appreciated. Or I may just be getting old lol.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just curious, were you well hydrated throughout the day? Did you take acetaminophen or anything beforehand?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Seats that don't fit you can and will at least aggravate any tendency for getting a sore back (been there, with some OE GM "bucket seats").

But I'm going to ask you how tense you're letting yourself get during a session, how great your tendency might be to be pushing against the floor with your left foot, and whether you're unweighting yourself from either the seat cushion or the seat back. Are you sitting too upright? I know on days where my own back is talking at me I need to lay the seatback down a few degrees, and that doing so takes absolute priority over having a technically more correct seating posture like what's suggested for tracking.

The above *could be* a function of how much harder your track day driving is, relative to the rest of your driving. Basically, if it's 4 times the daily-driving cornering g's, that's going to represent a bigger change than if it's only double, so you might not be as relaxed.

Myself, I use a supplementary lap belt that loops around the seat and does not go slack like OE 3-point belts do. Run it over the 3-point belt and it also resists that belt's tendency to go slack. It does help some, worth something like a second per minute, near as I've been able to estimate.

I've never had neck muscle soreness from driving, ever, so I'm afraid I can't help with that.

That's what I've found with cornering that goes a good bit past 1g with peaks as high as mid 1.3x. Have you datalogged any of your sessions?

I am a little curious about what your 'sticky tires' are.

Norm

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was very well hydrated constantly through out the day , however I did not take tylenol before hand maybe that would have helped as well

Sponsored

OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seats that don't fit you can and will at least aggravate any tendency for getting a sore back (been there, with some OE GM "bucket seats").

But I'm going to ask you how tense you're letting yourself get during a session, how great your tendency might be to be pushing against the floor with your left foot, and whether you're unweighting yourself from either the seat cushion or the seat back. Are you sitting too upright? I know on days where my own back is talking at me I need to lay the seatback down a few degrees, and that doing so takes absolute priority over having a technically more correct seating posture like what's suggested for tracking.

The above *could be* a function of how much harder your track day driving is, relative to the rest of your driving. Basically, if it's 4 times the daily-driving cornering g's, that's going to represent a bigger change than if it's only double, so you might not be as relaxed.

Myself, I use a supplementary lap belt that loops around the seat and does not go slack like OE 3-point belts do. Run it over the 3-point belt and it also resists that belt's tendency to go slack. It does help some, worth something like a second per minute, near as I've been able to estimate.

I've never had neck muscle soreness from driving, ever, so I'm afraid I can't help with that.

That's what I've found with cornering that goes a good bit past 1g with peaks as high as mid 1.3x. Have you datalogged any of your sessions?

Norm
awesome advice thanks bud!

OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Norm
No datalogging software yet, I borrowed a set of nitto NT01s for a couple of sessions. The G meter in the car whether thats accurate or not said I hit 1.2 left and right.

OP
OP

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
for the sessions before it was Sumitohmo HTRz IIIs which are midly better then stock pirellis

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
A cheap trick is to use rubberized drawer liner as a seat and back mat to help stop you sliding around when combined with a "locked out" seat belt. Also, volleyball knee pads pushed to the outside of your knee helps with grip and alignment of your feet over the pedals in the cockpit. With long pants, no one needs to know!

No substitute for a harness though. I had a Schroth Rallye 3 in my old car and a Schroth Quickfit Pro in this one (see above)

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Whike I ran the Schroth harnesses with the stock seats for a while, I did occasionally get back issues due to compression with that setup, the seat back is low enough the harness would pull down on my shoulders in a bad way. YMMV Depending on how tall you are and how your spine may tolerate compression forces. It didnt bother me every time but its worth mentioning if you're already having back issues.

No issue running the Recaro seats with the harnesses tho. The shoulder strap holes are high enough on the Recaros.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Whike I ran the Schroth harnesses with the stock seats for a while, I did occasionally get back issues due to compression with that setup, the seat back is low enough the harness would pull down on my shoulders in a bad way. YMMV Depending on how tall you are and how your spine may tolerate compression forces. It didnt bother me every time but its worth mentioning if you're already having back issues.

No issue running the Recaro seats with the harnesses tho. The shoulder strap holes are high enough on the Recaros.
Ah, very good point. Now that you mention it, I do notice the compression on the shoulders with my stock seats. I can see how that might cause some folks a problem. For me, it doesn't cause any pain.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's something you may also get used to.

After a long weekend of track days, my neck gets noticeably worse at holding my head up towards the end of the second day. I just need to do it more often.

FWIW, before you guys buy those quick fits, double check that your local track allows for 4 points. Mine doesn't anymore as of this year and they won't tell me why. I've asked a few times and all the track manager will say is "If it's not an OEM 3 point, or at least a 5 point with an anti sub, you can't drive on the track with it."

I'm not sure if my old quick fit pro would even fit this car but it is super annoying.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
How tall are you? I am 6'2 and with a helmet on I have to work to get my seat in a position where I can sit up straight and keep my neck straight. If you tend to lean forward when you drive or put most of your weight on your dominant side, it can cause bcak pain.
Sponsored