Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Hi folks,

Any input welcomed.

[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION]

2016 GT PP manual.

I installed a Steeda short-shift mech (not the tri-ax) about 6 months and 10k miles ago. Have had zero issues and am very happy with it.

Two weeks ago I installed the Steeda shifter bracket. Immediatley noticed it was a much notchier (but also smoother shift).

Now, 500 miles later its often the case that I cant select 2nd gear.

It feels like there is a barrier getting it into 2nd (no grinding, it simply wont select). Shifting 1-2 is still fine, but I cant downshift 3-2 or 4-2.

It doesnt do it when the car/g'box is cold, but as soon as things have warmed up, I have problems.

The bracket is installed the correct way around, with the Steeda Logo facing to the rear of the car.

Getting the car on a ramp is an issue for me at the moment, my garage is out of service and no-body here in The Netherlands has experience with Mustangs. If I have to go to a shop, I want to go armed with as much info as possible.

Any help?

Thanks
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Something could be out of line on your setup and because the Steeda shifter bracket give the transmission less play could be the issue.

Really all I can suggest.

When I got my car a year ago I fitted:
- Steeda bushing insert which got removed 48hr later, big 1" drilled into it, still bad NVH so it was removed.
- Steeda bracket: This helped stopped binding on high RPM shifts and just made it nicer, being on the car 10k miles, no issues.

I never bothered with a short shifter of any kind. :)

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Hi folks,

Any input welcomed.

[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION]

2016 GT PP manual.

I installed a Steeda short-shift mech (not the tri-ax) about 6 months and 10k miles ago. Have had zero issues and am very happy with it.

Two weeks ago I installed the Steeda shifter bracket. Immediatley noticed it was a much notchier (but also smoother shift).

Now, 500 miles later its often the case that I cant select 2nd gear.

It feels like there is a barrier getting it into 2nd (no grinding, it simply wont select). Shifting 1-2 is still fine, but I cant downshift 3-2 or 4-2.

It doesnt do it when the car/g'box is cold, but as soon as things have warmed up, I have problems.

The bracket is installed the correct way around, with the Steeda Logo facing to the rear of the car.

Getting the car on a ramp is an issue for me at the moment, my garage is out of service and no-body here in The Netherlands has experience with Mustangs. If I have to go to a shop, I want to go armed with as much info as possible.

Any help?

Thanks
Sounds like a miss-alignment or a fastener came loose. pm your contact info if you need further assistance. Thanks

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Sounds like a miss-alignment or a fastener came loose. pm your contact info if you need further assistance. Thanks
Will send you a PM now. Thanks

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
I recently installed the same Steeda short shifter two weeks ago and am having exactly the same issue. I now hate driving my car because when I have to slow for junctions and the like I'm quite often sitting there fighting to get my car into gear. Taking it back for my installer to check it out on Thursday.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I recently installed the same Steeda short shifter two weeks ago and am having exactly the same issue. I now hate driving my car because when I have to slow for junctions and the like I'm quite often sitting there fighting to get my car into gear. Taking it back for my installer to check it out on Thursday.
Thanks for the info. Seems like its a shifter issue rather than a bracket issue then (which is what worries) me..... f*ck I really dont want to have to take all that crap apart again :(

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Thanks for the info. Seems like its a shifter issue rather than a bracket issue then (which is what worries) me..... f*ck I really dont want to have to take all that crap apart again :(
Could you please provide, your purchase info via pm, second request. I have been able to resolve this issue with no problems, working together as a team.

Thank you,

Mike D

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
Has to be the shifter as I've not added anything else to it. Wish I'd gotten the Barton shifter system now. I know I went the cheaper option but at least expected it to work properly.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Has to be the shifter as I've not added anything else to it. Wish I'd gotten the Barton shifter system now. I know I went the cheaper option but at least expected it to work properly.
Just sent you a pm. Yes they do work great, once the issue is corrected.

Standing by. Thanks Mike D

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Could you please provide, your purchase info via pm, second request. I have been able to resolve this issue with no problems, working together as a team.

Thank you,

Mike D
Hi ive sent you a PM

Sponsored
OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]

I finally got around to switching out the lockout a few weeks ago and it seems to have done the trick.

The difference between the old and new part must be very small, as I couldnt pick it up visually!

I will say that Reverse is now significantly more difficult to select than with the previous lockout collar, but the flip side is (thus far) zero issues with missing the gate or being unable to select 1 or 2.

So im a happy camper.

Also worth noting for others in the future (and as an idea if you need to send out any more replacement kits) you do NOT need to dismantle the interior/centre column to replace. It can be done by simply removing the chrome trim around the shifter and going in through the top.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
@SteedaTech

I finally got around to switching out the lockout a few weeks ago and it seems to have done the trick.

The difference between the old and new part must be very small, as I couldnt pick it up visually!

I will say that Reverse is now significantly more difficult to select than with the previous lockout collar, but the flip side is (thus far) zero issues with missing the gate or being unable to select 1 or 2.

So im a happy camper.

Also worth noting for others in the future (and as an idea if you need to send out any more replacement kits) you do NOT need to dismantle the interior/centre column to replace. It can be done by simply removing the chrome trim around the shifter and going in through the top.
Great to hear! Unscrew the shift knob one turn and secure with Loctite and that should solve your lock out concern.

Thanks,

Steeda Tech

slowr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG GT
I purchased the Tri Ax from a local member who bought it from American Muscle in Oct 2016 and never installed it on his vehicle.

Will I need to purchase a new lockout collar, to ensure I wont have the same problem as above? This will be installed by a local shop in a couple weeks.

Polax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
16' DIP blue GT premium pp
Mine is hard to get into 2nd also if I brought the car to you guys would you charge to replace the part for me?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I purchased the Tri Ax from a local member who bought it from American Muscle in Oct 2016 and never installed it on his vehicle.

Will I need to purchase a new lockout collar, to ensure I wont have the same problem as above? This will be installed by a local shop in a couple weeks.
Email me a picture of the bar code off the box,and I will let you know
Thanks,
[email protected]
Sponsored