Who has switched from the Dodge Challenger to the Mustang

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cali Special
Hi all - been following this forum since it started way back. I am getting close to buying myself a fun car and it is between Mustang GT or. Scat Pack Challenger. Both are awesome cars. But is there anyone who had a Challenger switch to a mustang? Why did you? Thanks
Sponsored

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
You might do a search. It seems there was a post not long ago from someone who did go from the Challenger to the Mustang.

I'd like to try out the Challenger myself and almost bought one back in 2013 instead of my Mustang.

OP
OP
Eschatts

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I did but did not find any hits. Might not have had search parms right.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Well, I was close to getting a Challenger instead of my mustang. My stepfather has a '15 Challenger R/T and it's pretty nice. The pros for me are the back seats can actually sit a normal sized person and they have the digital speedometer. But then, we've got the line-lock feature they don't have. And screw the backseats lol. I don't really haul around more than one other passenger at a time typically and seeing as how it's my car there's no way in hell it'd fly that I'd ever be kicked to the back seat nor any other seat but the driver's haha.

But, mustang eventually won out because when it comes right down to it, I'm more of a mustang guy. Everyone in my family out here are Dodge nuts and they've gone through Chargers, a couple Challengers, my older brother just got a huge Ram diesel, and my younger brothers both got little Dodge Darts after getting rid of their Chargers. I've always been the odd man out with my Mustang fetish lol.

Nothing wrong with the Challengers, I like em' just fine from what I've seen and driven. Power-wise I'd rank my GT about level with my stepfather's R/T. For me it just depends on what car you have more of a taste for. I will say this, I've tried to help my internet inept stepfather look up all kinds of stuff he was trying to find out about his Charger and then his Challenger when he'd gotten that, and maybe I just didn't find the right places but it seems like the Mustang community just shares a whole lot more info with each other.

Sponsored

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went from a 2015 scat pack to a 2016 GT. For me the only reason I switched was because I had a 2010 RT before the scat pack and wanted to change it up. For me it really came down to the modability of the mustang. If you don't plan on really modding your car, then it comes down to a couple of things.

If you need usable back seats, really enjoy giving other people whiplash with a ton of torque down low, and want a legit muscle car then go for the challenger.

I chose the mustang because I liked the looks and wanted a change from the challengers. Ideally i'd have that 392 hemi in my mustang. That motor was a beast. I'd also like to add that I enjoyed the ergonomics of the challenger interior better than the mustang. I really liked the u connect system and the interior design.

It's really a personal decision. Go drive both before you decide!

dentalguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
My brother has a 392 scat pack shaker, it is really a torque monster. The stock handling isn't that bad on it. In my opinion, its hands down better than the mustang if don't plan on modding either cars. My favorite reasonably priced sporty cars for sale right now are the mustang GT, the 392 scat pack shaker, and the camaro ss 1le.

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I've had 3 mustang GTs an 07, 11, and 14. I've loved them all but I recently sold my '14 GT/CS because I was ready for something new. In case I don't get another mustang (was hoping for a mach1), I've also been looking at Scat Packs. To me the look of the Challenger SP is hard to beat. No other car captures the original muscle car look like it. Add the shaker and 485hp and it's pretty much perfect for me. It is however a fair bit more expensive the shaker package on top of the SP package adds an additional 6k (I believe) so a base SP with shaker starts at about $43,500 and they don't seem to get the heavy mark downs that the Mustang gets. I can easily find a mustang GT Premium PP for 34-35k whereas the cheapest Challengers SP/Shaker are around 42k.
I'm also anxious to see one of the new Challenger T/As as they are supposed to be even more performance oriented (but slightly more expensive again).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eschatts

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the opinions. I probably will decide after I drive both. The interior is so awesome in the mustang.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Most people go from a 4,300lbs car, to an SUV. They don't look for something more nimble.

A Mustang can have any amount of hp/tq you want, you are never going to loose 500lbs, or make a Chrysler lighter.

Sponsored

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
We own both - we have a 16 GT and a 16 Scatpack. Do you have any particular questions about it?

OP
OP
Eschatts

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Zimm - wow that is awesome. I guess a couple of questions. Which one has worse visibility with the blind spots? Does the Skat Pack feel more powerful than the Gt? Can you really feel the extra weight in the Scat Pack? I always felt that the Mustang kind is a blank canvas and you have to make it your own by adding your own personal touches. I feel that way because there are so many of them. The Challenger seems that it will be more exclusive down the road. One final question what do you like longer for a longer cruise? Don't get

I really do like both cars a lot. Thanks

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... Which one has worse visibility with the blind spots? Does the Skat Pack feel more powerful than the Gt? ...
Challenger has a large blind spot at the 4-5 o'clock. And visibility straight out the back isn't all that good either. That said, I bet the 392 engine is awesome. For the manual transmissions, the higher torque tremec tend to be geared taller so it may not be any faster than a Mustang.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
The last Mopar I had was a '98 Dodge 1500. We ended up trading it after two years, but every one of them from that era you see on the road, the dash/plastic is falling apart. I know that was a long time ago, but Has Mopar quality gotten better.

Last edited:

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
Zimm - wow that is awesome. I guess a couple of questions. Which one has worse visibility with the blind spots? Does the Skat Pack feel more powerful than the Gt? Can you really feel the extra weight in the Scat Pack? I always felt that the Mustang kind is a blank canvas and you have to make it your own by adding your own personal touches. I feel that way because there are so many of them. The Challenger seems that it will be more exclusive down the road. One final question what do you like longer for a longer cruise? Don't get

I really do like both cars a lot. Thanks
Both cars are awesome, so you can't go wrong with either. Challenger has a bit of a blindspot but nothing too bad. Mustang visibility is amazing in my opinion.

Stock vs Stock i'd say the Challenger has more power in a straight line.The biggest difference is the challenger has a ton more low end power where with a mustang you need to get in higher rpm before it starts pulling.

Mustang aftermarket is 100x better so if you're going to be modding that's something to consider. We paid almost 20 grand more for the SP so that's also something to consider.

The challenger is a lot more rare where I'm from so it turns more heads and the stock exhaust is honestly ridiculously good. It's quiet when you're cruising and screams when you're on it.

Mustang handles better obviously so if you're tracking it I'd definitely go the GT route.

Both are solid- if you're leaving it bone stock I'd personally go with the Challenger but if you're modding it, tracking it, or $$ is a major issue I'd go GT.
Sponsored