Sponsored

Motor seized - what would you put in?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
After 98k, 135 autox events and 34 days on track, this 2015 Gen 2 Coyote is ded. Sounded like rod knock before I parked it and it wont turn over now.

TBH I knew this day was coming. There wasnt a Dr Strange future where I could get away driving this 8+ nearly 100k mile 2015 motor as hard as I have been driving it much longer before something like this happened. I have had bad lifter noises and such. Luckily it happened at an event not far from home, with tons of experienced racer friends to help. I didnt even have to pay for a tow.

So, now what would you do

Drop a $8k Ford Perf Gen 3 crate motor in it? 15k for an Aluminator? Hunt for a wrecked Voodoo w/ a Tremec? Rebuild with a 3rd gen bottom half and 2nd gen heads?

My goals 1) reliability on track/autox 2) not crazy cost ($10k is better than 20k, and anything over that, well the juice better be worth the squeeze).

My frustrations have only been fuel starvation issues in high G corners on track and I could really do with 500+hp. The 420 at the wheels with E85 and ported manifold was good … but I might want more than that for the $$.
Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Barra. Not easy...but would be something to see.

My vote is either the 8k FP Gen 3 crate (if you want just a spicy turnkey) or rebuilding the current with the 3rd gen bottom and 2nd gen heads (if you do the internals yourself or "know a guy").

But who am I kidding, I drive a V6, I have no qualifications.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that sucks.

This is my forever car so I decided if the engine ever popped it has to be an Aluminator, at least a short block. Gen 3 Aluminator shortblock plus Gen 2 heads sounds nice. Doesn't FP sell Gen 2 heads too so you could order a few different things from them and lego your motor?

5.2XS+Tremec is the dream combo, but that's a metric ass ton of cash.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that sucks.

This is my forever car so I decided if the engine ever popped it has to be an Aluminator, at least a short block. Gen 3 Aluminator shortblock plus Gen 2 heads sounds nice. Doesn't FP sell Gen 2 heads too so you could order a few different things from them and lego your motor?

Definitely gonna be in this situation when the motor on my girl dies. Going to be going with just a stock coyote gen 2 or 3 turnkey swap so I can get used to having more power...but thats in oh 5+ years on my conservative setup right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that sucks.

My mechanic likes the Gen3 shortblock and Gen2 heads too.

I'd say this was a forever car, except for the sorry state of my paint (hundred of chips and blemishes), the GT saddle tank fuel system kinda ruins it or high G track work, that hard brake pedal thing that happens sometimes on track, and my 97800 miles MT86 can't last forever either.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

I'd say this was a forever car, except for the sorry state of my paint (hundred of chips and blemishes), the GT saddle tank fuel system kinda ruins it or high G track work, that hard brake pedal thing that happens sometimes on track, and my 97800 miles MT86 can't last forever either.
I'm over here imagining the adventure of swapping in a new engine lol.

Don't a lot of track rats wrap their cars?

There's definitely been some Tremec swaps or the Calimer built MT82s. If the engine is already coming out...

My approach is usually like that: if I'm already taking something apart, lets pile on a couple more parts. I know a new transmission or a custom re-build on top of an engine is a lot more cash than some suspension pieces though.

I don't know enough about the fuel system or your brake issues to comment. My knee jerk reaction would be the booster but something tells me you've already checked the basics.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm over here imagining the adventure of swapping in a new engine lol.

Don't a lot of track rats wrap their cars?

There's definitely been some Tremec swaps or the Calimer built MT82s. If the engine is already coming out...

My approach is usually like that: if I'm already taking something apart, lets pile on a couple more parts. I know a new transmission or a custom re-build on top of an engine is a lot more cash than some suspension pieces though.

I don't know enough about the fuel system or your brake issues to comment. My knee jerk reaction would be the booster but something tells me you've already checked the basics.
Yeah, lets stick to the powerplant conversation here. The good news is I have a mechanic who is a Fox body drag racer and who is getting hardcore into Coyotes now, so I think he can handle and would enjoy the project. We just have some decisions to make on what route to take it.

How bad would it be to drop a low mile Voodoo and Temec into a GT? Is that asking for trouble or a really smart move?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you're happy with the longevity of the stock engine, I would say that's a solid choice as the bottom end is virtually the same.

If you want somewhat better longevity, the Aluminator has the upgraded components. Along with proper oil control from the bigger pan and a solid top end should make it last quite a bit longer this time around.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If you're happy with the longevity of the stock engine, I would say that's a solid choice as the bottom end is virtually the same.

If you want somewhat better longevity, the Aluminator has the upgraded components. Along with proper oil control from the bigger pan and a solid top end should make it last quite a bit longer this time around.
Are the aluminators Cali legal?
Asking for a friend.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah, lets stick to the powerplant conversation here. The good news is I have a mechanic who is a Fox body drag racer and who is getting hardcore into Coyotes now, so I think he can handle and would enjoy the project. We just have some decisions to make on what route to take it.

How bad would it be to drop a low mile Voodoo and Temec into a GT? Is that asking for trouble or a really smart move?
If you’re curious about the Voodoo holding up on track, talk to guys like @mavisky and @WItoTX and @honeybadger (there’s more than those guys, just a few I could think of off the top of my head). They can give you some guidance there if you’re considering going that route

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I personally would go Gen 3 with the gen 2 heads, if doing it on a budget.

If the budget is no issue, I'd do the voodoo or aluminator. Personally, I'd do the latter just because of the issues folks have with the voodoo and harmonics/vibration. I know when mine let's go, I'll be putting an aluminator in.

The other thing to consider is cooling. IIRC, you don't have the oil coolers, correct? So you might consider adding those right away. And the Tremec has a cooler as well, so factor that into the cost as well.

From the OP, I would say Gen III is probably your best route/bang for your buck. And for a few bucks more, throw on the coolers, and you would be set.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Are the aluminators Cali legal?
Asking for a friend.
I would think so, it's a shortblock built to OEM specifications by the OEM...just with different components. Same block, stroke, bore etc.

Secondly, not sure exactly how anyone would be able to tell you have an aftermarket rotating assembly when the engine is in the car and running. The block still shows OEM casting marks, so it looks no different than a bone stock engine.