Sponsored

Tramlining

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Don't want to hi-jack some other threads about braces etc.
I had no idea what the car was doing was called tramlining because I've never owned a car that exhibited this characteristic. Any car I have owned has always wanted to come back to center when the wheels turn as a result of changing road conditions.
I was describing this characteristic to a friend today (not knowing what it was called) as if the car hits a crease or something in the road and the car will go that way. You have to stay on top of the steering to stop from shooting off into another lane of traffic.

It did not take me long to experience the tramlining characteristics of the GT350. I've read give the car 1,000 miles and the wear on the tires may settle it down a bit. Some others posted that their alignment was off from the factory and after getting an alignment, the tramlining was reduce but not gone.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Different types of tires make a huge difference. Michelin PSS likes to tramline a lot.

Characteristics of sticky tires. Alignment can help. I've not done it yet.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Always drive with two hands firmly placed on the steering wheel after each shift. Problem solved.

Sponsored

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Yep agree it is a function of wider tires....my GT does this on uneven roads, my C5 with staggered tires was even worse.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Try sport steering for daily driving since it seems to filter out some of the stupidity with its artificial weight.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
If you think it trams know, wait till you set the FP alignment recomendations or go even more aggressive!!!!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^ Mine seems worse on sport than comfort. Going to check to see if it's the steering or dampers that's making the difference.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
After i changed to 6G R spec wheels and Conti Contact DW tires it completely eliminated it.
Stock setup - MPSS + stock wheels.

Revised setup - Contis + 6G wheels.

I would say it's all in the contis and hence a reason people don't like to keep the contis on while tracking. From what I've heard, those who used the 6g wheels and the stock MPSS have in some cases had an increase that in tramlining, suggesting the Contis are not as aggressive of a tire.

Another point... the G-brace is $80?... and May can have added benefit on the track. Contis are $800+ and have little-to-no track benefit... which seems to be the better benefit:cost mod?

Sponsored

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
^^ Mine seems worse on sport than comfort. Going to check to see if it's the steering or dampers that's making the difference.
Same here. As I go from normal to sport to track it gets more pronounced. Going to comfort reduces the effect. With that said, it's not an issue on most roads. It's the rutted interstate segments that give me trouble. Stiffening the dampers on rutted roads didn't help tramlining. Since those roads are rough anyhow, stiffer damper settings just beat up me and the car. The pronounced tramlining results in some very "unrelaxing" drives. And as another person said: both hands needed.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Mine is a base so no shock changes. Thought all of them had the steering wheel button for just steering weight changes.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Stock setup - MPSS + stock wheels.

Revised setup - Contis + 6G wheels.

I would say it's all in the contis and hence a reason people don't like to keep the contis on while tracking. From what I've heard, those who used the 6g wheels and the stock MPSS have in some cases had an increase that in tramlining, suggesting the Contis are not as aggressive of a tire.

Another point... the G-brace is $80?... and May can have added benefit on the track. Contis are $800+ and have little-to-no track benefit... which seems to be the better benefit:cost mod?
The Conti DW's are no where near the tire MPSS's are. But they are a great great street only tire.

wltrmtty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Where I live, the roads are pretty bad. There's actually one way out of my neighborhood with a decent road. That said, the first time I drove the car (it was delivered by transport), I thought my front tires were were almost flat, it was tramming so bad. I found the Sport steering setting helped, so that's how I drive all the time.
Sponsored