Sponsored

Engine cool down after driving?

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hello I was just curious whether people let the car idle for couple minutes after driving to cool down the engine. I ve seen many people warm up the car but never cool down. Any thoughts? In my case I drive 17 mustang GT and I let it cool down for 2 to 3 minutes before I shut down the car. Was wondering if I am doing the right thing.
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
what is your reasoning, the warm up is to permit the oil to come to temperature. Only cars I have ever heard doing a cool down for were turbocharged and that was many years ago.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Just turn the car off, you don't have a huge turbo to cool down.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
By the time I stop and back into my garage I feel comfortable just shutting off the engine...no idle time required.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
No need to cool down for NA.
Turbo engines might need some cooling down for the turbo so the oil in the turbo don't overheat.

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
My wife's daily driver has twin turbos. You think she's sitting there letting it cool down? Not necessary.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No clue how legitimate this is, but was told if you are hot lapping the car and still have catalytic converters its wise to let it run and cool a little bit before shutting it down. Something along the lines of the cats need the engine running to cool them properly for long life. Anyone ever hear this?

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I was heard that N/A engines do also need to cool down since it can stick on manifold and pistons due to high temperature. This is not an accurate info, so I was trying to see and figure out if I was doing the right thing for my car.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I let my EcoBoost idle for a few seconds before I shut it down, so that the oil flows through the turbo and cools down, especially if I've been driving the car hard. Otherwise I just drive normally before I reach my destination, so that by the time I go through the parking lot the oil has been pumped through the system and cooled down appropriately.

Whether I have to do this or not I am not sure but I do it anyway to avoid oil coking in the turbo.

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I was heard that N/A engines do also need to cool down since it can stick on manifold and pistons due to high temperature. This is not an accurate info, so I was trying to see and figure out if I was doing the right thing for my car.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
If you do lapping on a track where the engine is at high rpm for an extended period then yes you should do a cool down but as long as you haven't been burning up the side roads before pulling into the garage there's no need to.

Just drive normal for a few minutes before shutting it off.

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I have no idea what you are talking about.
What I meant to say was if engine is shut down in high temp it could cause heat strain. Thats why I was told to cool off few minutes before shutting down the engine.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Thats why I was told to cool off few minutes before shutting down the engine.
Who told you this exactly?

And in the case the engine is significantly overheated, you will do more damage leaving it running in that state vs. shutting it down.

But I can't imagine that just driving around town is gonna get the engine overheated enough to cause issues (unless the cooling system fails). Hell, even after a 30 minute track session the engine is not hot enough to cause issues.

You're overthinking this. Park the car and go on your way.

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I was told my a mechanic close by. So basically on a regular road drive, I should just shut down the engine as soon as I arrive instead of idleing and cooling off.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I was told my a mechanic close by. So basically on a regular road drive, I should just shut down the engine as soon as I arrive instead of idleing and cooling off.
Unless you are having mechanical issues during the drive, your car won't get hot that it would need cooled off. If you're at operating temp after the drive, just idling won't reduce your engine temp. If anything, it will go up due to less airflow.

So you achieve nothing by idling your car after a drive besides wasting fuel.
Sponsored