Sponsored

what's the verdict on break-in?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
new 2016 Mustang GT, manual transmission, with 95 miles, most of which are mine, and I will neither confirm nor deny "spirited" driving so far

what's the verdict on break-in?

I am an easy off the line sort of driver and a slow shifter, but I will want to run the engine to 5000-5500 RPMs, at least sometimes :)

keep it below 4000 RPMs for the first 500 miles? Other recommendations?
Sponsored

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
Right or wrong, I drive every new car like I stole it. My last 2 trucks left the dealer sideways tires just screaming for mercy. The first one saw regular abuse on the track. Including a 175 shot of nitrous. The second one has lead a bit easier life. But not by much. I don't see any point in babying a new car. Run it hard, and break it right away, or not at all. Then you know what it can handle. Or follow the advice of those that see this car for more than what it is, (a car) and hate it for the first 1000 or so miles while you break it in.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Don't baby it ... drive it spirited, but don't beat the living hell out of it for the first 500 miles. You want to use quite a bit of throttle on and off while driving to get the rings to seat properly. Lot of varied RPMs.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Blower on within the first 100 miles and drove it easy for another 37 miles. Couldn't resist. Gonna change the oil tomorrow and cut the filter open to see.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I did a lot of mixed driving with mine. RPMs were all over the place. Im close to 10K now with no problems.

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Right or wrong, I drive every new car like I stole it. My last 2 trucks left the dealer sideways tires just screaming for mercy. The first one saw regular abuse on the track. Including a 175 shot of nitrous. The second one has lead a bit easier life. But not by much. I don't see any point in babying a new car. Run it hard, and break it right away, or not at all. Then you know what it can handle. Or follow the advice of those that see this car for more than what it is, (a car) and hate it for the first 1000 or so miles while you break it in.
Not totally disagreeing with your philosophy but I'd rather hate it for the 1st thou than hating it after that. But that's just me, with age came patience. Then there's the owners manual recommendations that for some reason doesn't make mention of banging it off the rev limiter for proper initial break-in.;)

Ilovemyv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th An. Race Red Auto
After the first 1000 miles, I drove it like the daily driver it is. Redlined a few times and also get about 23mpg. The engine did not feel broke in till I reached 7000 miles.:headbang:

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've been following the Hellcat break-in recommendations.
Figured it's a similar set-up (V8 + blower) and they are warrantying the vehicle for 5/60, so they've put some thought (and engineering) behind the recommendations.

Here are their instructions:

Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.

BREAK IN PROCEDURE : It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).
NOTE:
Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher through the first oil change interval.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
I've been following the Hellcat break-in recommendations.
Figured it's a similar set-up (V8 + blower) and they are warrantying the vehicle for 5/60, so they've put some thought (and engineering) behind the recommendations.

Here are their instructions:

Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.

BREAK IN PROCEDURE : It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).
NOTE:
Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher through the first oil change interval.
That's because Dodge can't take the beating! :crazy::paddle:

Unless one has ACTUALLY seated the rings the way this article suggests, one will never know the benefit........

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Actually READ the article and don't just look at the pics.

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Most break in instructions on high performance cars are for the driver, and not the drivetrain. The most important/feared word to a manufacturer is not WARRANTY, it is LIABILITY.

I know Porsche puts every engine on a block for a break in run at the factory, but Ford has much higher production numbers so that may not be true - although I would not be surprised if the voodoo gets some sort of break in or test run at the plant.

Sponsored

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
Most break in instructions on high performance cars are for the driver, and not the drivetrain. The most important/feared word to a manufacturer is not WARRANTY, it is LIABILITY.
BINGO!:cheers:

olla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should see how dodge engineers individually "break in" viper engines. They individually redline and abuse each motor many times over in a controlled lab. I think breaking in an engine is unnecessary really.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
You should see how dodge engineers individually "break in" viper engines. They individually redline and abuse each motor many times over in a controlled lab. I think breaking in an engine is unnecessary really.

I agree. Unless stated in the delivery of your vehicle that you must drive a certain way before x amount of miles, there really is no break in period. I am positive that before these engines are mass produced they are tested and configured in way that there would be no issues with them from the get go. If you happen to have a lemon, that's wha your power train warranty is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The owners manual documents a recommendation :-) Congratulations on the new car.
Sponsored