GT350R Mustang Engine/Exhaust Note Sounds

Clearman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
1991 Explorer
More importantly, hopefully just as easy to cut out the resonators as it was on the S197 GTs. Can get that 350R sound without the 350R price ;)
You won't get the same sound as a flat-plane engine by cutting out the resonators. Sorry to burst your bubble.:crazy:
Sponsored

Belobog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Viper, 2012 Boss 302
You won't get the same sound as a flat-plane engine by cutting out the resonators. Sorry to burst your bubble.:crazy:
He obviously meant that he hopes it's easy to remove the resonators on a GT350, so it will have the same sound as a GT350R.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I still think it will need a nice set of long tubes to really sing. It is still saddled with the Tri-Y headers, cats and likely resonators. When this car is uncorked, it will sound glorious.

Sponsored

jcalvert86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I still think it will need a nice set of long tubes to really sing. It is still saddled with the Tri-Y headers, cats and likely resonators. When this car is uncorked, it will sound glorious.
Saw a post saying the headers were designed by Watson Engineering, so those should be good to go. I'd imagine high flow or removed cats along with removing the resonators will give more of the typical "flat plane" sound.

Rhumbline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW M3
I did notice in some of the engine pics that the left rear-most exhaust tube has a bit of a pinch in it for some reason (steering shaft, brake booster clearance or something?). Not sure if 4-2-1 tri-Ys are necessary on an even-pulse flat crank motor over standard 4-1 headers, but yeah, I would be interested in hearing a more uncorked GT-350 without the factory headers. Maybe the reason Ford is using those slightly odd tri-Ys is to create a lumpier, more traditional bent-crank American V8 sound?

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Saw a post saying the headers were designed by Watson Engineering, so those should be good to go. I'd imagine high flow or removed cats along with removing the resonators will give more of the typical "flat plane" sound.
They probably make good power. However, they likely suffer in the sound department. I am sure we will find out soon enough. I think a good set of full length headers will add to the high frequencies and get this engine to sing. I want a Fordrari.

Mike

jcalvert86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They probably make good power. However, they likely suffer in the sound department. I am sure we will find out soon enough. I think a good set of full length headers will add to the high frequencies and get this engine to sing. I want a Fordrari.

Mike
Agreed.. hoping that doesn't mean $3500 full exhaust though :tsk:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Uncorking the exhaust on a car with 12:1 compression might actually make it sound worse. I've seen this done on Mercedes AMG time and again and they just turn out blatty and unbearably loud.

Rhumbline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW M3
Uncorking the exhaust on a car with 12:1 compression might actually make it sound worse. I've seen this done on Mercedes AMG time and again and they just turn out blatty and unbearably loud.
Those AMG have big bent-crank eights though, which might be what lends them to that sound quality. The even pulses of a flat-crank eight I would think would result in a smoother sound, certainly less blatty (those uneven bent-crank pulses trying to shoulder their way down the exhaust system before bursting into the atmosphere).

Part of the "blattiness" might be the how quickly the exhaust valves snap open too. My E46 M3, with a very light, quasi race car solid lifter valve train has really aggressive exhaust ramp curves, snapping those valves open with the crispness of a buck private saluting his drill sergeant, thus sending out really sharp exhaust pulses (combined with its 11.5 CR). The result is that sharp, almost crackling exhaust note.

Probably pretty much any minimally muffled NA motor in the 100+hp/l realm is going to have a sharper exhaust note out of engineering consequence of high CR, aggressive cams and free-flowing exhausts necessary to make that power.

There are plenty of YouTube vids with uncorked Ferrari 355s or 458s to hear the difference, particularly in sound quality. Compare them to the various big AMG V8s, which are some of the highest specific output NA motors out there. The E90 M3s, with their 4L NA bent crank V8s somehow sound like something between a bent and flat crank V8, not quite sure why.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Only one way to find out :ninja:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Only one way to find out :ninja:

Yeah buddy!:headbang:

Though this time around the GT350 already sounds pretty powerful. I would only want to alter tone should I feel it necessary, and not increase volume.

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fred Flintstone, two leg power
Active Exhaust, where is that controled in the exhaust setup? Mufflers? If so, then we can't switch out to different mufflers if you still want that control. I want to see what sound the Borla XR-1 will produce with that high redline. Wish I could hear that right meow.
Sponsored