Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Yeah, I know it works with US cars. With non-US it doesn't. It's not the software version, nor a matter of settings. It just doesn't work with non-US Mustangs; I'm not the only one. And the HPtuners support is useless.

Anyway, the questions isn't if HPtuners works, but whether PCMtec does.
All of the active exhaust tables are defined in PCMTEC, and so are the idle defaults and software switches to completely disable/enabled it along with MIL codes if you have removed the system.

I set mine up so quiet mode is quiet and normal/sport/track are all full volume. Works great.
Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Do you have a PP3 for a gen 2 coyote?
You'd need to check the list. All Australian mustangs are effectively a pp2. There is bullit and others in there, I just have no way of knowing what is what. They don't write in the binary what the cal is for, but you can easily compare them and find out.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You'd need to check the list.
I mean the FRPP 3 tune for the gen 2. The one you highlighted in this thread is for a gen 3.

MGSPJL4 is one

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
@Rolls, are there any plans to make PCMtec work with more hardware interfaces in the near future?
Currently only three are listed on your site, of which one is discontinued and one is 32-bit only. So that leaves me with only one option, which sadly seems unexpectedly difficult to come by. My attempt to buy an OBDX FT was frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful.
So I'm stuck. :frown:

Last edited:

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@Rolls, are there any plans to make PCMtec work with more hardware interfaces in the near future?
Currently only three are listed on your site, of which one is discontinued and one is 32-bit only. So that leaves me with only one option, which sadly seems unexpectedly difficult to come by. My attempt to buy an OBDX FT was frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful.
What happened? I got mine 3 or 4 weeks ago. I used the discount code that PCMTech provided when I bought their software and it was seamless once I worked all the actual issues I had buying the software from PCMTech themselves.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The Australian Post happened. Even though I paid for what's called "international express", there was actually nothing express about it. They kept the package for eight days doing nothing with it, after which it went to customs, where it was rejected on the grounds that the export requirements were not met. Then they kept it for another three days, after which they changed the status to "awaiting collection". Which means they won't bother sending it back to the sender, but instead they're apparently waiting for the sender to come in person and pick it up.
Another three days later, i.e. today, seeing that nothing else seemed to be happening, I contacted OBDX asking them to check what was going on (and perhaps to go pick up the parcel, fix whatever needed fixing, and ship it again).
And here comes the most upsetting part. OBDX are saying it's somehow my fault (huh?!? :crazy:) and they will cancel the order and refund my money minus shipping costs. Strange logic if you ask me, but there you go.

Last edited:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The software supports generic J2534 devices. I use a Ford VCM II and it works great.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The software supports generic J2534 devices. I use a Ford VCM II and it works great.
Thank you. That's good news. At a quick search a VCM II seems to be much easier to find. It's even available locally.

I know PCMtec says it works with generic J2534 devices, but there are many of those, and who knows what little foibles each of them may have, which may or may not impede the way PCMtec actually works. We're dealing with the PCM here, which is the single most important module in the car. A little glitch during writing could brick the car, I imagine. That's why I want one that's indeed confirmed to work with PCMtec, not just inferred based on the protocol.
I'm glad to hear a VCM II works for you. Thanks. :like:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
And here comes the most upsetting part. OBDX are saying it's somehow my fault (huh?!? :crazy:) and they will cancel the order and refund my money minus shipping costs. Strange logic if you ask me, but there you go.
First request OBDX to refund the full amount. Once they decline or do not respond,
request a charge back from the bank that issued your credit card.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, in hindsight I should have used PayPal. Then I would have been better protected and I would most likely have got the whole amount back. But they did look like a reputable company. I had no reason to expect any nasty surprises. Oh well, live and learn...
The card I used offers no such protection. I'm on my own. But it's OK, it's a small amount, I can live with it. It's just the idea that annoys me a bit.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
@Rolls, what does it mean that Tactrix OpenPort is 32-bit only? Does it necessarily require a 32-bit version of Windows (i.e. it won't work in a 64-bit environment)? Or will it work just fine with any kind of Windows, but just a tiny bit slower?

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
The Australian Post happened. Even though I paid for what's called "international express", there was actually nothing express about it. They kept the package for eight days doing nothing with it, after which it went to customs, where it was rejected on the grounds that the export requirements were not met. Then they kept it for another three days, after which they changed the status to "awaiting collection". Which means they won't bother sending it back to the sender, but instead they're apparently waiting for the sender to come in person and pick it up.
Another three days later, i.e. today, seeing that nothing else seemed to be happening, I contacted OBDX asking them to check what was going on (and perhaps to go pick up the parcel, fix whatever needed fixing, and ship it again).
Buy it from the US direct. They have stock there a(afaik), shipping it from Australia would be slow and expensive over Christmas. Aus post is one of the worst postal services I have ever used. There was a rail disaster in WA a few weeks ago that basically cut off all postage from half the country (Australia is gigantic and takes 46 hours+ to drive from WA to QLD) meaning "express" from WA to Sydney took 3+ weeks instead of 2 days. Customs is also notoriously slow. Apparently Amazon stock the OBDX in their warehouses apparently meaning close to next day delivery. It is also manufactured in the US so buying from Aus would mean it was sent from the US to Perth (literally the other side of the globe) and back again.

Whilst we are not affiliated with OBDX and I do not know the full story if you contact us I would be happy to throw in a credit to cover your cost and delay.

It sounds as though you bought from the Australian distributor and not their US one someone. Or perhaps they didn't have stock in the US over Christmas.

If can't get the FT the GT will work fine for US cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: