IAT relocation for meth question, intake vac fitting

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Cooling only, E85. Back half of a run got to 160+ IATs pulled 5 degrees. It is hot in Texas, I probably didn't help myself by not cooling long enough, idling to long, and so on. I have since gone to 170 tstat, removed hood liner and engine cover. This will be hot months only. I made the mount in the trunk removable, where everything comes out as one piece and the wires have plugs.
On an E85 tune, there's zero reason to pull timing back on a 140-160° IAT. Octane is plenty sufficient. Did your tuner forget to relax the IAT/Spark advance limits on your E85 tune?
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
On an E85 tune, there's zero reason to pull timing back on a 140-160° IAT. Octane is plenty sufficient. Did your tuner forget to relax the IAT/Spark advance limits on your E85 tune?
I think it’s all precautionary

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I think it’s all precautionary
Not smart on tuning, one thing I paid for rather than doing myself. The other benefit of the water/meth is a safety margin for the 93 tune. Not something I plan on using, but of I can't find 85 on a road trip I'll have it.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Not smart on tuning, one thing I paid for rather than doing myself. The other benefit of the water/meth is a safety margin for the 93 tune. Not something I plan on using, but of I can't find 85 on a road trip I'll have it.
Then it is not just for cooling at that point and the nozzle location and size will need to change. You may want to have a second nozzle hooked up and ready for those times and just have it turned off

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Got a little testing today. With the relocated sensor IATs are now about +20 over ambient. They were just a little above before. I did three runs, from third and ran through a couple gears. Meth comes on at 6 psi and ramps up. IAT dropped about 15 from when the meth came on to max and stabilized. Hopefully make it to the track soon to see if it works for a full run.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I think it needs more time to cool and maybe I bigger nozzle. You should be able to get the temperature down to or under ambient

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I think it needs more time to cool and maybe I bigger nozzle. You should be able to get the temperature down to or under ambient
I am going to put the 10 in there. I might order another nozzle as well. Better mod would be moving the nozzle further upstream, working on that.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I am going to put the 10 in there. I might order another nozzle as well. Better mod would be moving the nozzle further upstream, working on that.
Two smaller nozzles that add up to one bigger nozzle. the two smaller nozzles are always better

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would move the nozzles to after the tb, that way it's not potentially getting the electronics wet.
Your setup looks good.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I would move the nozzles to after the tb, that way it's not potentially getting the electronics wet.
Your setup looks good.
I think everyone else runs them as far upstream as possible for mixing and cooling purposes.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think everyone else runs them as far upstream as possible for mixing and cooling purposes.
Yea lots of people running them there matter of preference with this kind of airflow. Mine is not there because I am PD.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Yea lots of people running them there matter of preference with this kind of airflow. Mine is not there because I am PD.
Should have been more specific, everyone I consulted with that had centri blowers.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Should have been more specific, everyone I consulted with that had centri blowers.
No worries mate, without actually testing specific atomization at different flow rates it's an educated guess. I can also guess that there is far more heat in a PD blower as well vs a Centri with a stock manifold.

Still I like the trunk setup. I had mine installed at a shop I wish I had done it on my own.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
No worries mate, without actually testing specific atomization at different flow rates it's an educated guess. I can also guess that there is far more heat in a PD blower as well vs a Centri with a stock manifold.

Still I like the trunk setup. I had mine installed at a shop I wish I had done it on my own.
I am happy with the trunk setup, originally I was going to bolt it all down to the trunk. This was a little more work but in some ways easier. I only had to drill two holes through the trunk to mount the lexan and all the components mounted on top. Cutting and sanding the lexan took a bit of trial an error. Luckily, I had just cut and sanded some for some airplane windows a few months back so I have a bit of experience with it. I really like that I can take it out as a unit when not needed, that was the biggest advantage for me. I suspect from about October to March it won't be needed at the track. And on the streets of Mexico I'll never need it (as I've done a few runs from about 30 to as fast as I am comfortable and even in the hottest of days it never is an issue), so I could remove it and just install it when I go to the track. And yes the centri likely makes much less heat. And also agree that it is all an educated guess with me, I can do some analysis but don't really have the proper equipment to measure/record/etc. I just looked for what was working with most people, and made some SWAGs.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Your setup looks good.
After the TB is not good for cooling on a centrifugal or turbo setup. It doesn’t give the water/meth time to work
Sponsored