Sponsored

2018 Mustang Price List (MSRP/Invoice): EB Starts at $25,585, GT at $35,095

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Here in Australia 90% of buyers choose the GT. If you discontinued it, you'd basically kill the Mustang here.

By the way, Australia is now the number 2 market in the world for the Mustang - even ahead of Canada (which has a much larger population).
V8s will still exist, although it'd come in a form of high powered Shelby versions.
Sponsored

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I agree 100%! I have been waiting for the 18 model year prices to come out...and WOW! I was surprised (maybe I was naive?) in the price increase of the GT. I wanted (badly) to purchase a GT in 2015 BUT, I wanted the PP with an automatic...and I didn't want to purchase a fully loaded 50th Anniversary edition, which was the only way (to my knowledge) to get the PP with an automatic. I test drove a 2015 EB with an automatic and the PP; I enjoyed how it "felt" lighter and more nimble than the GT but, I didn't like the way it sounded (objective, I know), the power drop off at high RPMs and the fact that I knew from researching the performance of the stock intercooler, it would have to be replaced and the fact that the early built "Spain motors" were problematic, sometimes even if owners weren't modifying them.

However, in the three years since then, the EB has kinda "grown" on me. My brother's company vehicle (Ford Edge) has an EB motor in it...and it has performed very well for him...in the dry, hot heat of Arizona no less. He has driven over 100,000 trouble-free miles (with scheduled maintenance, of course) on the Edge in a little over three years time. I now have an awesome daily driver (16 Maxima SE...GREAT daily car, with a bit of "punch" to it!) and I want a Mustang again. I told myself that when (and I speculated correctly that it would be in this refresh year of 18) Ford offered the GT with an automatic and PP, I would purchase it. However, the price of the GT compared to the EB is quite a price jump! Configured as I would order them:

GT BASE: X PLAN: $41,795 INVOICE: $40,750
GT PREM: X PLAN: $44,798 INVOICE: $43,765

EB BASE X PLAN: $31,679 INVOICE: $30,594
EB PREM X PLAN: $35,383 INVOICE: $34,312

I realize that one has to "Pay to Play", if they wish to "play" with the GT. But, the price increase for the 18's, in my opinion, is just too much for the GT. As a comparison, I almost "pulled the trigger" on ordering a 2017 Ingot Silver GT, with automatic, Black Out Package, 3.55's, Premium Seating, Navigation, Rear Sensor, Enhanced Security Package, Navigation and Spare Tire. The Invoice on this build was: $40,044.80. My final Out-The-Door and On-The-Road price from Koons (Sterling, VA location) with all taxes/fees included was: $39,500.

The mustang will be my weekend car and an occasional weekday driver but, mostly used for weekend "cruising", trips and just good ole' driving fun. This described usage in and of itself "screams to me" BUY THE GT! But the EB provides so much value at it price point than the GT...and yes, I know it won't ever be as "cool", as fast or have anywhere near the "rumble" of the GT...that is is hard for me to justify spending around 43K for a GT Base (with all taxes and fees added it), when I may purchase a EB Base for around 34K (again, with all taxes and fees added it). Purchase a $500 intercooler and a good OTS tune from Ford Racing (hopefully in the next year they may offer one for the 18EB) and the 18EB will be in the same "zip code" as the stock 15-17 automatic non PP GT's, in terms of 0 - 60 times and quarter mile times, with better overall handling (due to the EB's lighter weight and PP) than the stock non PP 15-17 automatic GT's.

My only "concern" is if the EB will be reliable for 150,000 miles and if the turbo four will "satisfy" my desire for a Mustang, since all but one of my 'Stangs (65 inline six) has been a V-8. I stated above what I did and didn't like about the 15-17 GT's and EB's when I test drove both (on three different occasions). If the new 18 GT PP with the automatic has remedied the "heavy feeling (Seat-Of-The-Pants feel...15 "felt" really heavy and "lethargic" below 3500 RPM's...maybe the new 18 GT won't "feel" this way?) of the 15 non-PP GT...I am going to have a very difficult decision to make: "pony up" the dinero for the 18GT PP with the automatic or save the "dinero" and buy the EB. Advice? Opinions? Thoughts?
All my Mustangs have been V8's as well. It is a difficult decision to make. On the $$$$ bang for the buck performance & price less than last year , the Ecoboost takes it. In the end its all about preference. As you stated the Inline 4 turbo Mustang is lighter as well.:headbang:

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
GT Premium, PP, 401A interior
2018 is $3k more expensive than 2017
And no memory seats or BLIS ....
25 more HP
Hmmm ...glad I got a 17'

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
GT Premium, PP, 401A interior
2018 is $3k more expensive than 2017
And no memory seats or BLIS ....
25 more HP
Hmmm ...glad I got a 17'
Did you add magneride ?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang gt
I kind of wonder if 2019 will result in a package/pricing retool, sort of like the 2017 gt350. For instance I am not sure why the performance pack went up essentially the same as adding magneride, but without magneride. I guess the pilot 4s tires probably added a bit, vs the pirellis. However this is a bit absurd. The 2012-2013 refresh added standard leather wrapped steering wheel hid headlights as standard 10 more hp and extremely expensive tail lights, and went up 1040 bucks. The 2015 complete redesign added $1550 over the 2013 base price. Makes you wonder in ford's eco push, if the base ecoboost is being sold near cost. After all the turbo 4cyl engine package probably costs more to make than a 5.0, and literally meets or exceeds all the 24,995 2005 mustang gt specifications. More metal, more complexity, engineering costs, all at an inflation adjusted cost of 6 grand less (24,995 in 2005 is 31294 in today's money). The ecoboost is actually a pretty darn good value, I just wish ford hadn't shouldered so much of the cost on the v8 engine, to make it so.

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
"pony up" the dinero for the 18GT PP with the automatic or save the "dinero" and buy the EB. Advice? Opinions? Thoughts?
I cannot for the world imagine why anyone living in the US would not buy a GT. They are so freaking cheap and you guys pay no road tax and sales tax is rediculousy low also. When in doubt just try out a few build and price websites for other countries in the world (like Netherlands or Danmark or Norway) and realize how lucky you are. We pay $150,000 for a GT.

Here in Australia 90% of buyers choose the GT.
Same thing in Germany and the UK. 80-90% GTs. These are the lucky countries where there is no emission based new car tax so to those people these are still fair prices for a fully equipped V8 coupe or convertible. Even if the average sales tax in Europe is 20%.

Obviously in other Euro countries where the communists are in power taxes on high emission cars are gigantic and we'll have to do with EB's unfortunately.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Have the GT350 Prices always been left off the Price Sheet?

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
This is Ford's attempt to slowly phase out the V8s. They are basically trying to price it out of the market so the EcoBoost can become the most logical choice for buyers. Eventually, the GT will go away and be replaced by a more powerful EcoBoost variant. V8s will only exist in the upper markets and exclusive to the high performance Shelby variants.

So it goes: Regular EcoBoost (taking the place of the V6) > EcoBoost ST or whatever they call it > Shelbys.
Probably not.

The technical cost of one of our custmers going to DI on a V6 was approximately $300. That is OEM cost.

The new Ford's are port and direct injection so we won't be cleaning our headed with walnuts chips. That cost money too.

We got DI, full LED lights, revised exterior and other minor changes for $2000 That's a pretty good deal.

Packages are grouped for more purchasing power and reduced sequence which costs money.

My only grip with the MY18 pricing is the increase on PP. I have a hard time believeing revised spring rates and tires require that much burden.

Sponsored

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Ford really wants this car to lose its blue collar roots, which seems to be the original target for the S550. It's basically become domestically what a BMW coupe is in Germany. From the most spartan 218i/220i or 420i to the highest spec M2/M4.

Not even including the GT (GT40+), Ford MSRPs have become outrageous over the last decade, that I wonder where Ford as a brand will sit in 8-10 years time? There is hardly any room for a hypothetical D6R-based Lincoln coupe, unless that is supposed to be $80-90k tops. Before the GT, the most expensive Ford on sale is $85,000 before any dealer markups (not including $88k F-450). Just amazing.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
In 1997, the Mustang GT was only $18,000. This is almost double the price in 20 years. That's crazy.

By comparison, a Lexus ES has only gone up 28% in the past 20 years, and the Mercedes C-Class only 32%.

I think Ford are just ripping off customers. I noticed that the F-150 is also 64% more than it was 20 years ago ($35,390 for a F-150 XLT Super today, vs $21,390 in 1997).
3.5% average inflation compounded over 20 years is 200%.
Sooooo ... we are right on target.

Compounded inflation is calculated as (100%+rate)^#yrs.
100%= 1.00
So zero inflation for 10 years is 1.00^10=1.0=100%
3.5% inflation for 20 is 1.035^20=1.9898= 199%= double

Now look at Japanese inflation rate. Google: japanese inflation last 20 years.
Holy crap! Thats the reason for the pricing difference. Japans economy is getting its ass kicked in and their prices reflect that.
You are getting 1st world quality at 2nd world price... hard for Ford to compete...

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
3.5% average inflation compounded over 20 years is 200%.
Sooooo ... we are right on target.

Compounded inflation is calculated as (100%+rate)^#yrs.
100%= 1.00
So zero inflation for 10 years is 1.00^10=1.0=100%
3.5% inflation for 20 is 1.035^20=1.9898= 199%= double

Now look at Japanese inflation rate. Google: japanese inflation last 20 years.
Holy crap! Thats the reason for the pricing difference. Japans economy is getting its ass kicked in and their prices reflect that.
You are getting 1st world quality at 2nd world price... hard for Ford to compete...
Problem is, in the last 10 years, very few people have gotten an honest 3.5% net increase in pay. Many will never make what they did 10 years ago, ever again.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
In the end of the day it all has to do with the CAFE standards I guess. The cost price of high emission vehicles keeps going up and manufacturers have no choice but to translate those costs into their sales prices. In the future you will probably see a further increasing gap between the (Hybrid) EcoBoost and the GT because of this.

If it was up to Ford I'm sure they would want to keep the halo V8 in their Mustang lineup for another 100 years and they will do whatever it takes to hold on to it for as long as possible. Including raising the price and lowering sales numbers as a result of that. They need to recover their costs, otherwise one day some dumbass bean counter will stand up and axe the V8 all together.

Somehow I have a feeling that the 1000 dollar raise of the Performance Pack also has to do with this and is a decoy to hide the fact that they actually needed to raise the price of the GT with 3000 instead of 2000.
Sponsored