Sponsored

2018 Mustang Build & Price on July 25 [UPDATE: Now Live!]

lethiferous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 mustang gt premium
Don't get me wrong, I'd never get a Camaro, but boy can you customize them. Ford has nothing to brag about in that aspect. I have to admit, I've just checked the Camaro build & price for the first time ever. However, I think the aftermarket is not as big.
16 GT premium owner here. My friend who just bought a 2017 new mustang gt premium last week was going to go camaro. He originally wanted a camaro 2ss we test went to test drive one and LOOKS aside imo it is a better car. He considered waiting for the 2018 mustang but one reason the camaro was out of the picture was because of the pricing was just too high compared to the gt but having configured a 2018 it rather out of the ball park as well. I configured roughly the equivalent (same options) of my car and the sticker is 5k higher than my window sticker. Having then configured a premium gt with the performance pack, magnaride, exhaust option etc it brings the price to like a barely used gt350 (as in under 3000 miles) just about in my area. Rather mind blown.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm missing something but why is everyone obsessed with having Magneride? I haven't driven a GT350 with it but I've driven Camaros, Corvettes and some Germans with the Magnetic Ride Control or Adaptive Dampers and it makes very little difference. In the GM cars I honestly couldn't even tell anything at sane speeds. Maybe at the track it's more noticeable. And if most on here swap springs anyway, why pay 4k for the Performance Pack and upgrade them just to take them off? If the 2018 suspension has some improvements already, unless you're a diehard track guy and need the Brembos I think if most are being realistic about their street driving, they'd probably be better off sticking with the standard suspension and saving $5,500. Might help with the price hike. But to each their own.
It is an excellent point.

$1250 for new front Brembo kit
~$1650 for a new, loaded torsen pumpkin
$1000 for new shocks and springs
$200 for FRPP brace kit
$600 for bigger radiator

If you can do it all yourself (they are all doable), that's still less than the PP w/o magneride. Of course this does not include wheels and tires, but those are easy to find takeoffs and so many people go aftermarket anyway.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It is an excellent point.

$1250 for new front Brembo kit
~$1650 for a new, loaded torsen pumpkin
$1000 for new shocks and springs
$200 for FRPP brace kit
$600 for bigger radiator

If you can do it all yourself (they are all doable), that's still less than the PP w/o magneride. Of course this does not include wheels and tires, but those are easy to find takeoffs and so many people go aftermarket anyway.
I think you are making the point. The 15-17 PerfPack was arguably a good deal at $3K. Sure you could do it yourself, but it was an easier and cheaper starting point to just get the PP. At 4K, maybe not. I assume Ford would rather have that money than give it to CJ Pony Parts, so if they were smart they would price it such that just getting the PP is the easier/cheaper option.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Never looked, but are there kits for the GT350/R Magneride? Or is it tied to the electronics?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Never looked, but are there kits for the GT350/R Magneride? Or is it tied to the electronics?
Far to integrated into the cluster and infotainment system electronics to be feasible after the fact.

Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
The PP at $2450 was a sweet deal. The day of paying 30k for a new PP GT, throwing on a FP PP2 for $570 and having a 456 hp big brembo Mustang has come to an end.

I like the direction the 2018 is going, but damn these new goodies are going to cost quite a bit more to get into the game.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Don't get me wrong, I'd never get a Camaro, but boy can you customize them. Ford has nothing to brag about in that aspect. I have to admit, I've just checked the Camaro build & price for the first time ever. However, I think the aftermarket is not as big.
Whooaaa.....
Is Ford marketing watching the traffic spikes to Camaro Build and Price?
Just heard about this from a front end engineer here in Austin that works for GM. Uggggg.
FullSizeRender.jpg

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
I would say sales are gonna take a big hit from this ridiculous price. The pricing advantage was one of the main reasons it sold so much better than the Camaro, Dumping the low cost V6, and having it start at 30 is gonna put a damper on things. If I was in the market now, can't say I would've bought anything at all, but the Camaro seems like a much better value at this point, and I'm a Ford nutswinger all the way.

Sponsored

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
These prices should not surprise anyone. Ford went cheap for a while but the 18 refresh is them bringing their big guns to the table. They are now in a position to compete performance wise with Chevy and dodge. I expected this. Honestly it's still cheaper than the camaro. However the only thing that shocks me is the pp increase. That is steep, should include mag ride with that increase then it is justifiable. No matter what it will sell and sell well. A lot of people will sell their15-17 and get on the 18 bandwagon.

Just wait a few months and you will see dealer price drops. No u will not get a ppgt with all the performance goodies for 30k anymore but quite possibly 33 to 34k.

You got to pay to play, can't expect leaps in performance without leaps in price too. Think about it. The ecoboost, a 4 cylinder will destroy a gt from 2010 for about the same cost that they were then. Now if you want more performance it will cost you. Plain and simple.
Delusional if you think any 17 owner will be trading up for this. Prices at over 50k fully loaded?? LOL. You can buy a slightly used Stingray for close to that.

Also a tune with CAI and an alignment nod the performance is the same.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
What option has the 12" LCD screen? I can't find it :(

LindsayEOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Delusional if you think any 17 owner will be trading up for this. Prices at over 50k fully loaded?? LOL. You can buy a slightly used Stingray for close to that.

Also a tune with CAI and an alignment nod the performance is the same.
Exactly. I was considering trading forward for some of the additional goodies like magneride, dual mode exhaust, and the digital display. But with the increases to the base price and PP ($4k alone), plus the other required "bundled" options I will be forced to purchase to get the options I really want, the price is pretty ridiculous and has me doing a serious rethink, including looking outside of Ford for my next car.

Somebody screwed the pooch here... hoping this works itself out by 2019 when I plan to purchase my next car.
Sponsored