New Whipple Massive Heat Exchanger w/ Fan Delete

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about Cylinder Head Temps affected by the heat exchanger but Inlet Air Temps does for me since I have the VMP IAT mod which moves the sampling from the MAF to post intercooler.
Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
What the heck does this heat exchanger have anything to do with Iat's or cht's? If you don't have a way to monitor after intercooler air temps how do you know it is doing any better than the one with fans? I am baffled.
Whipple installation splits the MAF and IAT readings and using a 3 into 2 pigtail (supplied in their kit) reroutes the IAT sensor reading to the intake manifold.

IAT reading for anyone with a standard Whipple install should reflect post blower temps.

Last edited:

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Whipple operating system when flashed uses a IMRC pigtail connection to sample and show you IAT, i.e. post intercooler intake temps.

Anyone running a flaretool/genuine Whipple tune should be able to see the improvements to their IAT's.
I have the Fare Tool and Whipple's tune.
What else do I need to read IAT-II?
How do you read it with Flare Tool?

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I have the Fare Tool and Whipple's tune. Also if it's sampled from the IMRC harness, not sure how you would even be able to see it. It might only be something that the tune can see or you would need to know exactly what to look for. Maybe look at the IMRC PIDs for a voltage to reference. Probably complicated or impossible with the Whipple tune. Could be wrong of course.

You need a logging device like SCT or nGauge unfortunately.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I have the Fare Tool and Whipple's tune.
I fixed my post, your IAT, on whatever tool you read, will be your post blower, post intercooler temps. Its a hardware change you make during the install to reroute the MAF sensor based IAT reading to a new ACT temp sensor in the Whipple intake manifold. Fairly sure the Intake Air Temp reading even in the dashboard should be showing you the post intercooler temp.

Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I fixed my post, your IAT, on whatever tool you read, will be your post blower, post intercooler temps. Its a hardware change you make during the install to reroute the MAF sensor based IAT reading to a new ACT temp sensor in the Whipple intake manifold. Fairly sure the Intake Air Temp reading even in the dashboard should be showing you the post intercooler temp.

I have Whipple and their tune. I do not think my dash gage reads IAT-II. That would be nice I am about 3-5F above ambient cruising.

Waiting for Whipple to release their tune revision to allow data logging with the Flare Tool. Heard it's coming just don't know when..

Wish they would hurry:)

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I have Whipple and their tune. I do not think my dash gage reads IAT-II. That would be nice I am about 3-5F above ambient cruising.

Waiting for Whipple to release their tune revision to allow data logging with the Flare Tool. Heard it's coming just don't know when..

Wish they would hurry:)
Correct. When I ran the Whipple tune the IAT you see in the dash comes from the MAF. There is a sensor in the IM but it wasn't readable. Maybe their new tune will allow visibility to that sensor. Might even switch back to it to try it out. There drivability is so good on auto cars.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT

That is false. There is a sensor after the intercooler, but it is unreadable by everything but the pcm.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
That is false. There is a sensor after the intercooler, but it is unreadable by everything but the pcm.
Thanks, wasn't sure. For sure we can log it via HP Tuners, not sure what other logging software can do.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Are you sure? Last I knew there was no assigned pid for it.
Yes it is there, log below of a whipple calibration, though this is a 2013.
IAT2.JPG

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
To my knowledge, you cannot read IAT2 on our calibration with another software program to date on the S550. This is not currently a PID. Therefore you cannot compare IAT2 temps to each other. One could use an auxillary sensor and bring that in to a SCT, HP or aftermarket logging system. Or you would have to have a custom tune and relocate the inlet temp sensor to the manifold.

MY2013 S197 is different as it would have been relocated from the MAF to the manifold, but this wouldn't be IAT2, just manifold temp. IAT2 was a term used on the GT500 which had pre and post temp readings so it new the delta between them, but really there is IAT and MCT (manifold charge temp).

There is no way possible that the MCT goes up with the larger LTR, it simply doesn't happen.

CHT has very little to do with the intercooler temp and should not really be part of the conversation of LTR efficiency. CHT will vary with ambient temp, hood type, grill type, fan control, thermostat, driving conditions, headers, etc.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
To my knowledge, you cannot read IAT2 on our calibration with another software program to date on the S550. This is not currently a PID. Therefore you cannot compare IAT2 temps to each other. One could use an auxillary sensor and bring that in to a SCT, HP or aftermarket logging system. Or you would have to have a custom tune and relocate the inlet temp sensor to the manifold.

MY2013 S197 is different as it would have been relocated from the MAF to the manifold, but this wouldn't be IAT2, just manifold temp. IAT2 was a term used on the GT500 which had pre and post temp readings so it new the delta between them, but really there is IAT and MCT (manifold charge temp).

There is no way possible that the MCT goes up with the larger LTR, it simply doesn't happen.

CHT has very little to do with the intercooler temp and should not really be part of the conversation of LTR efficiency. CHT will vary with ambient temp, hood type, grill type, fan control, thermostat, driving conditions, headers, etc.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
As important as true IAT's are you would think we would have a way to read them by now, especially with what we have invested in this system. :(

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
They've had growing pains with the new blower design. Took them a long time to release them and there have been quite a few stories of bearing issues and a couple torched engines.
There have been no engine failures with our calibration and our kit. We had one that had debris from the casting foundry that was stuck in a void in the casting, that came out, but this certainly didn't torch an engine. We had another SC that had a hub/shaft issue during assembly but again, didn't torch an engine.

Designing an entirely new kit with 6 new castings, new rotors, new design takes longer than using shelf parts.
Sponsored